Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly**

Go down 
+3
Triple J Quarter Horses
reiningfan
suncolorsranch
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2007-02-08

SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly** - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly**   SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2009, 8:43 pm

Mare wrote:
Merikle, have you thought about writing a book called " Color for Dummies" Laughing And a plain Dun is what?

You know honestly, its always gonna be easy for some, and hard for others. Just like everything else Wink. I am horrible at math, pretty much any form beyond the basics, always have been and pretty sure I always will be. Thats all you gotta think of it as Smile

I would love to write out a book like that... maybe some day Razz

I think the biggest problem for people is when we get into shades, and being able to identify what that shades are. A sorrel is often something different in someone's mind than what a chestnut is. However, they are still red, just different shades Wink Thats why I almost always refer to them as "red" when giving some insight on color genetics, so people dont have to have any more words to be confuzzled by Laughing

Duns are pretty simple. It is a modifier that like creme lightens the color coat. Only real difference when it comes to the lightening effect of the dun modifier is that dun does make quite a color change most of the time on black based horses without agouti. It also does not double up in lightening when a horse is homozygous for it like it does in horses homozygous for creme. It may create a slightly different shade, but we aren't that far into the dun gene and its quirks yet Wink

So -
Black Horse + Dun = Grullo
Red Horse + Dun = Red Dun
Black Horse + Agouti (Bay horse) + Dun = Dun or "bay dun".

People find a lot of confusion when you get into the dun/bay dun stuff. Often they lack the supporting information to be able to figure out that Horse number 1 is actually just a dun, because it has very little black on its legs.

The shades in bays are often listed with their own agouti genetic codes, however I cannot remember them off the top of my head (wasn't that important when I learnt it I guess! Smile )

Here is an excerpt from
http:://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/colors/bay.html To save me some typing Wink

Standard Bay: Red body with black points; body does not have any black or smutty coloration.
Blood Bay: Dark blood-red color, sometimes almost purple.
Mahogany bay: Brown red, with some black mixed into coat.
Copper bay: Orange-red body.
Golden bay: Yellowish body.
SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly** - Page 2 Baywild
A Wild bay; Note the black on the legs is restricted and is only visible around the coronet and on the fetlocks.
Wild Bay: a bay with minimal black points; usually black on legs only comes up to fetlocks. Sometimes called a "faded" bay.

Seal brown horses are actually caused by the Agouti gene, too, but are considered a different color than bay, because the gene is a different allele than that which causes regular bay (although some breed registries lump seal brown in with bay).

My dun mare taffy is a variation of a wild bay, with a dun modifier. Her black even reaches higher than most wild bays does.

I will see if I can dig up some more info on the different genetic codes for all the different bays Smile

Taffy, notice how the black leg markings are not so normal (She threw the dunskin filly I posted earlier... she has the same leg markings)

SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly** - Page 2 Alyssaandtaffy1

SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly** - Page 2 OPutsidetaff
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly**   SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 12:09 am

Mare wrote:
I love the color. When I had mine tested I couldnt even understand it. When I got it back I had to go on a forum and ask what it ment. Someday I will get it, I was horrible at science.

Hee Hee, I dont care! Whats the point! They will be what they will be. Unless you breed to a double creme. Then you will get creme, otherwise its all 50-50. Surprises are fun. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690

PostSubject: Re: SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly**   SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 1:18 am

Triple J Quarter Horses wrote:
Mare wrote:
I love the color. When I had mine tested I couldnt even understand it. When I got it back I had to go on a forum and ask what it ment. Someday I will get it, I was horrible at science.

Hee Hee, I dont care! Whats the point! They will be what they will be. Unless you breed to a double creme. Then you will get creme, otherwise its all 50-50. Surprises are fun. Laughing

All you need for color is yellow and you're good to go Wink Gotta love the yellow horses! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly**   SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 10:46 am

Now I like a pretty Bucky. But I have to admit, I do love Yella! ITs that White mane and tail. I like the way Double Cremes Surprise you. Never owned one, but it sure makes it 100%. Single creme will you just never know. Now, get this. My only mare I have bred has done this. She is a light sorrel with a flaxen mane and tail. Only a star

Bred to a Cherry Red sorrel, Only white on his face. Got 2 foals from her, Both Cherry Red and white on the face NO white on legs.

Bred to a sorrel with a blazed faced, flaxen mane and tail. White on legs. Got, flaxen mane and tail, with chrome and a full blaze.

Bred to 2 differant Palominos, 3 times, have gotten 3 palominos. Wink

Breeding her to a red roan in April. Sooo Heres hoping she does her thing.
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

PostSubject: Re: SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly**   SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 10:49 am

And that would be that dang colt everyone thought was Pali and ended up Buckskin. Thats the only one I have ever had tested. I thought Buckskin and everyone told me Pali. (including my vet). Really looked like a Fjord.

I think its getting time for up dates on these new babies. That would mean new pictures. I bet they have all changed so much already.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly**   SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 11:07 am

Mare...It is time for new pics.. lol! I got sunshine today and going to try to get mine out in the round pen for some shots. That colt of yours sure fooled us.. I think JJJ said buckskin though.. Laughing

I got a SUPER nice filly that is dark buckskin like Dix on the 20th. I will try to get her and the black one outside and get some shots. I need them for my web site as well.. cheering

I hate not being able to take pictures in the arena. Can't get those photo's out to brag a little. I was so thrilled to get two fillies this year.. Had to share the pink blanket... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

PostSubject: Re: SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly**   SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 1:17 pm

OH, I cant wait to see Dixie Jr. I bet she is so cute! You could always send her to me. PLEASE........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly**   SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly** - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SBR Formula One - Foals arriving!! **Dun or Dunskin Filly**
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2