Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Open mares...when to breed?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Open mares...when to breed? Empty
PostSubject: Open mares...when to breed?   Open mares...when to breed? Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2009, 8:18 pm

Ok folks - what is your opinion on the earliest you should responsibly breed a mare?

I know you all have opinions on this lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Open mares...when to breed?   Open mares...when to breed? Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2009, 9:47 pm

lol! Totally depends on when you want your foals on the ground. Semen started hitting the airways on Jan 28th... Also, whether or not you have had your mares under lights and ready to breed them. If not, you will have to wait for Mother Nature.. coffee
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Open mares...when to breed?   Open mares...when to breed? Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2009, 12:17 am

I think alot depends on where you live and what kind of set up you have. I like mine in March/April/May. If I was in the south I think I would try for a January/Feb.
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Open mares...when to breed?   Open mares...when to breed? Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2009, 3:17 pm

The reason I ask is - there are LOTS of folks who breed REALLY early - which scares me...

I personally want a January foal (most of the time) though I've gotten to where I'm "Happy" with a Feb baby and that is usually what I end up breeding for (whether I like it or not lol! )

I have a maiden mare this year - she has been under lights since December 1 - for us that was pretty easy - gotta love timers!!!!

Well - I took her to get her checked on Thurs as she was acting "horsey" and she had a 41x30 follicle with GREAT adema - this was beautiful I tell you!!! So, we took her and dropped her off at the farm...we're picking her up Monday. I think today is her "day". IF today is her last breeding date that would make her 342 days on Jan 15, and that is even a little close for a maiden (we had one last year that went at 326 affraid ) and 326 in THIS case would be ummm - not so bueno...

So - how early do you breed before you start to "worry"...esp w/ maidens?
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Open mares...when to breed?   Open mares...when to breed? Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2009, 9:42 pm

340 days is full gestation for a mare. Now, they all do their own thing and knowing how the mare goes really helps. If you are just breeding her and she gets in foal you will get a nice Jan foal. Not that many mares carry over.. If it hits the ground the last few days of Dec.. Shut the barn and keep your mouth shut. No Pretend you are not home... lol!
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Open mares...when to breed?   Open mares...when to breed? Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2009, 3:34 am

I don't breed for anything before end of March not worth it. You don't gain anything in my world by 1-2 months. My colts do better by being able to be out on pasture from the beginning of life rather than having to be up in stalls. I think developmentally they actually are structually better joints, ligaments and bones. Also mentally they are easier to handle. If I lived in southern TX I might rethink things. But snow and babies stinks. Where I am my colts would have to spend a significant amount of time in stalls if I bred for earlier than March and I don't think you gain anything by doing that. Plus I hate to clean stalls LOL
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Open mares...when to breed?   Open mares...when to breed? Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2009, 10:51 pm

True what Lynn's says when you are breeding ranch working type horses.. And, the growth you are looking for is not a consideration. As far as turn out you do need the space for that. You cannot keep a foal in a stall when all the stretching and growing is going on. riding

The thing you miss with spring babies in pasture is handling them a few times a day from the get go.. It totally depends on your set up and what kind of time you have to get your hands on them. study

If I was breeding race horses they would be early spring foals and have big pastures to run in. I would not even think about messing with them until halter breaking time had come. I would get friendly with them though. Because when you wait that long you have to wrangle them and that is not a good experience for anyone. No
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Open mares...when to breed?   Open mares...when to breed? Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2009, 11:17 am

Well since I had the DEC Baby... Im waiting till the end of Feb, First of march. Even in my pleasure babies, The sooner I can get them under saddle the better. riding
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Open mares...when to breed?   Open mares...when to breed? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Open mares...when to breed?
Page 1 of 1