Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Got an appointment for gelding Pep

Go down 
+2
Triple J Quarter Horses
reiningfan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Got an appointment for gelding Pep Empty
PostSubject: Got an appointment for gelding Pep   Got an appointment for gelding Pep Icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2008, 2:14 pm

It's damn near killing me, but I called the vet and will be bringing Pep in to get gelded Nov 7th. I could have got it done sooner, but one of the kids 4-H clubs is going to watch teeth getting done that day, so we are also bringing Tom to get his teeth done. With the cost of driving there and back with the trailer, I'd much rather go just once.
Now Brennen will be able to have a really good youth horse. If he wants to train when he is older, he needs to have good horses to ride.
I'd like to get Gun done too. but because his ring is to large, it will need to be stitched closed, otherwise the vet is woried about his intestines coming though. So that makes it a surgical procedure rather than a standard gelding. Which not only costs more, but takes more time and our vet is booked fairly solid for a while. He also dosn't want to do it when it's totally frozen outside. So that means I may have to wait till spring to get Gun done, but then I wont have any more stallions around. Maybe I'll be able to sell Gun before spring.
Any stories or suggestions about gelding older stallions? I know 7Cedars got Kid done. Wondering how he is doing.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Got an appointment for gelding Pep   Got an appointment for gelding Pep Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2008, 10:02 am

I did the same thing.. I wanted a super gelding for my Children, and had a nice stallion, sooooo at 6 I gelded him and he was a babysitter.. Wise in the end. I mean I couldnt afford that quality for my children So I came up with it right out of the barn. He did swell. I put him in the pasture with a mare that was in foal one he was healed up, with in about 60 days, he was just one of the boys.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: Got an appointment for gelding Pep   Got an appointment for gelding Pep Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2008, 12:20 pm

I don't understand the logic of waiting till spring for gelding... my vet likes to do them in the winter because there is no flys to spread infections. What is his logic just curious would like to know everyone is different and I am sure there is a good reason....
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

PostSubject: Re: Got an appointment for gelding Pep   Got an appointment for gelding Pep Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2008, 3:38 pm

He would like to do it right away, but is booked full. Plus, my budget is a little tight, but I'm gonna talk to him and see if he'll let me pay it off monthly, cause Wade wont pay for it. He would just ship him to an auction at this point. Gun has been fence crawling a bit again, so we really ought to hurry up and get him done.
I think the vet's other reason is that he likes to geld outside and once the ground is frozen, which will be soon around here, he prefers not to do them. But I'll call and talk to him. I just hate getting anything done if I don't have the cash.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Got an appointment for gelding Pep   Got an appointment for gelding Pep Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2008, 9:44 pm

When I geld them it's in the winter as well. Too cold for those flies to bother them. They are all dead.... lol! bounce Never in the fly season. affraid

The after care is the key.. You have to be deligent about the working them.. Also, the cold air keeps the swelling down. I think you will find it does not matter how old they are. They need time to adjust when they have been a breeding stallion.. Still need to get out there two times a day and spend at least 20 minutes of them moving. The moving is what works out all the fluid they may be retaining. I also like to keep the legs hosed off so I can see how much they are draining. This is harder in the winter time.. But, can be done.. Basketball

OH, by the way, it hurts you more then it does them.. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

PostSubject: Re: Got an appointment for gelding Pep   Got an appointment for gelding Pep Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2008, 11:08 pm

Im gelding a weanling in 2 to 3 weeks.. Its not winter yet.. And I have to wonder why your waiting as well.. scratch
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2007-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Got an appointment for gelding Pep   Got an appointment for gelding Pep Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2008, 11:39 am

We gelded Tucker in the middle of June. No problems.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

PostSubject: Re: Got an appointment for gelding Pep   Got an appointment for gelding Pep Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2008, 12:03 pm

How much does he charge. Its like 90.00 to 110.00 here
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

PostSubject: Re: Got an appointment for gelding Pep   Got an appointment for gelding Pep Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2008, 4:08 pm

To do Pep it will be about $150. But to do Gun it will be closer around $450-$500, cause it's a surgical procedure. I'm not waiting to do Pep, only Gun due to just not having $600 laying around right before Christmas.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

PostSubject: Re: Got an appointment for gelding Pep   Got an appointment for gelding Pep Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2008, 4:54 pm

Girl thats the truth, Christmas is not far off.. santa Ive slowly started collecting the small things, to get them out of the way.
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

PostSubject: Re: Got an appointment for gelding Pep   Got an appointment for gelding Pep Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2008, 6:05 pm

I'm one of those people who go overboard on Christmas. I love buying people presents. So I now budget. This year Wade's family finally drew names. It was getting crazy expensive for that side of the family. My dad is getting the kids a Nintendo Wii, which ought to be fun.
I still haven't decided what to ask from Wade. He wanted ideas. I'm thinking custom bridle, but he figures I already have too much horse stuff, like that's even possible.
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Got an appointment for gelding Pep   Got an appointment for gelding Pep Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2008, 9:33 pm

I'm also one that goes way overboard on Christmas. But I just cant help myself. Its the only time of year that I like to shop. With my husband I just buy what I want and tell him what he got me. He has bought me some real dorky stuff and then I have to pretend that I just love it. He works in the oil field and last week brought me home a Long Horn skull with an oil rig painted on it. I love painted skulls but this is the ugliest thing. So I think it will have to be hung in the bedroom so know one has to see it. I have to keep telling myself that its the thought that counts. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got an appointment for gelding Pep   Got an appointment for gelding Pep Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Got an appointment for gelding Pep
Page 1 of 1