Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares Empty
PostSubject: Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares   Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2008, 1:08 pm

Sooooo - lately I have been trying to find research on the use of drugs in pregnant mares...

I haven't been able to find anything definate and I would have assumed there would be plenty of literature on this!!!!
Nothing says - you are OK and nothing says DON'T DO IT...

Ugh...soooo - what do you guys think?

Here are my thoughts:
Sedation of any kind (ie: Rompun) will decrease the heart rate and has the possibility of lowering it to a dangerous level. With this decrease in heart rate over say an hour you not only decrease the blood flow in the mare but you also decrease the blood going to the fetus. The decreased blood flow would result in a lack of nutrients, etc and also not allow for waste products to be flushed out.

So - is this the equivalent of having say a few sips of wine over your pregnancy OR several intoxicated nights?

Just some thoughts...over an 11 month gestation, 3hrs or so of decreased heart rate shouldn't matter - or does it?!?!?
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares   Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2008, 5:37 pm

we have used sedivet w/o any problems on preggy mares...
Back to top Go down
SSFarm2

SSFarm2

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares   Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2008, 10:06 am

I try to stay away from as many drugs as possible when they are bred.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares   Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2008, 3:48 pm

Ive know of alot of aged mares on ace. as well as regimate.
Back to top Go down
SSFarm2

SSFarm2

Number of posts : 177

PostSubject: Re: Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares   Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2008, 4:49 pm

I do use the regimate if they are bred and I am hauling them to shows. Just an extra precaution.
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares   Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2008, 8:20 pm

Yeah - regimate is great for the older mares/etc. I don't like the use of it in younger mares if you can avoid it (continual use that is).
It has been shown that over continued usage for a lengthy period of time (I want to say over 5yrs) that it can cause reproductive problems.
Cant remember where I read that - but it was relatively recent (past 6 months or so).
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

PostSubject: Re: Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares   Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2008, 9:53 pm

I have never had any trouble from sedating a PG mare. I do not use drugs to get a mare in foal or keep one in foal. Many people do and have no trouble doing this. I just think if the mare had trouble getting in and staying in foal she would not be a breeding canidate for me..

I have short cycled mares before though. coffee
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares   Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rompun, Ace, etc in Pregnant Mares
Page 1 of 1