Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Janie's surgery

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RoanRider420

RoanRider420

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2007-07-05

Janie's surgery Empty
PostSubject: Janie's surgery   Janie's surgery Icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2007, 3:48 pm

Well, I got the call from our leg vet this morning. He had taken Janie's films to a surgeon's conference in Chicago over the weekend, and the concensus is that the OCDs in her fetlock most definitely need to come out. I asked him what would happen if we didn't have surgery and he told me that I'd have "a very fancy broodmare". So she is tentatively scheduled for Friday, Nov. 9. I have to call back tomorrow to confirm it. The farrier is coming Nov. 2, so I wanted to wait until after he comes so he can pull her shoes and trim her feet.

Her exact diagnosis is plantar P1 OCDs. He said he would estimate the comeback rate to be 75%. It's usually a bit higher rate for a fetlock OCD (80%) but hers are quite large and in a difficult position. She'll have 2 weeks of stall rest, 2 more weeks of hand walking and then 4-8 weeks of daily turnout. He said she has to be in a small turnout, so I don't know where we're going to put her because it will be the dead of winter, so the only place is the indoor but it is way too big. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

So that is where we are right now. I'll still be going to the Gordyville Turkey Run show, but ONCE AGAIN, I'll be going without a horse. More time to drink beer, I guess. drunken

Last edited by on October 25th 2007, 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Janie's surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janie's surgery   Janie's surgery Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2007, 2:48 am

Good luck. I am sure you have a good board certified equine surgeon to do this. All the vets around here want to do surgery on a pimple. I have no faith in them. We do have some good surgeons around here though. The just want to do surgery on everything.. And, if I had to do this I know who I would let do it and who I would not let do it.. No

Make sure you stay in control and get all the information you need. Vets like to fix one problem and cause ten more doing that.. Barbados was a prime example of that. Ask!!!!!! I have been there done that and have learned that there is a lot they do not tell you. study Good luck and keep us posted on your little gal... pray
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871

Janie's surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janie's surgery   Janie's surgery Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2007, 10:25 pm

Oh goodness! I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. I will also be praying for a speedy recovery. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
RoanRider420

RoanRider420

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2007-07-05

Janie's surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janie's surgery   Janie's surgery Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2007, 8:56 am

Well, now she is scheduled for Nov. 2 (next Friday). They wanted to get her in ASAP so my trainer called the farrier and he said no problem, he is coming tomorrow to pull her shoes and give her a trim. Joe is going to go with me to take her and Sarah will be there with me to take her home. Joe doesn't want me driving by myself because I'll be such a wreck.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

Janie's surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janie's surgery   Janie's surgery Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2007, 3:27 pm

She will be fine and you will be such a great nurse. It will be no time and she will be ready to go again. I will be thinking about you both and saying a little prayer.. pray
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Bellablue

Bellablue

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Janie's surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janie's surgery   Janie's surgery Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2007, 12:16 am

I am sorry to hear about Janie... that's just a big bummer. I hope her recovery is quick and complete Smile Keep us posted, I will send good thoughts your way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Janie's surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janie's surgery   Janie's surgery Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Janie's surgery
Page 1 of 1