Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ways to market horses

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Ways to market horses Empty
PostSubject: Ways to market horses   Ways to market horses Icon_minitimeJuly 26th 2007, 11:27 pm

Thought I'd start this topic, too, see what we could come up with... maybe some people have some ideas that some of us others haven't come up with.

Of course the obvious:

1) Internet websites
2) Word of mouth
3) Being shown and seen
4) Forums, of course, where you mention a horse is for sale.
5) Thrifty Nickel - newspaper ads, etc.

And that's about all I can think of right now -- dad-blasted coffee isn't kicking in or something.

I've been seriously thinking about going to some of these 4-H shows around here, see who the "big guys" are, see if maybe they'd be willing to take one of my babies at a reduced price to be shown, get the word out, so to speak... seriously thinking about that... course I've given 2 breeding stock colts away to 4-H'ers in the past... One I'd truly like to see - that sucker was going to be a monster.

Any other ideas on marketing our babies, horses, etc.?

And oh, forgot one... I don't know if you guys are getting an enormous amount of e-mails from people selling horses, but I've been getting tons of those here lately. That's also an option, whichever discipline, start pulling out the horse magazines and start e-mailing to all these breeders and trainers and people who show...get kind of a network-thingy going on.
Back to top Go down
emma&slim09

emma&slim09

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2007-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Ways to market horses   Ways to market horses Icon_minitimeJuly 26th 2007, 11:39 pm

Only one that I could think of as of right now was go to the local tack stores/feed stores and put up a flyer thingy on the bulituen(I know I screwed that word up) boards.

Like I said, that's all that I could think of besides the ones you mentioned. I'm not good with those things cause I've never had to sell one.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Ways to market horses   Ways to market horses Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2007, 12:11 am

Very good point, a one to add to the list for sure! Thanks mucho!

So advertising at feed and tack shops... yep!

Anybody else?
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: Ways to market horses   Ways to market horses Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2007, 9:54 am

In addition to showing and being seen, people also put fliers up in the show office so people can see your horse in action.
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

PostSubject: Re: Ways to market horses   Ways to market horses Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2007, 11:08 am

Shiela, I'll make you a deal, lol... You give me one of your babies, and I'll come get it, and show the crap out of it for you, lol... But you'd sure as heck have to get into the whole AI deal, you'd also get some good business though ;o)
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Ways to market horses   Ways to market horses Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2007, 12:07 pm

See now, me, TripleJ, Bluejay and Lynn have cussed and discussed this AI and shipping crap. Unfortunately, for me, out in the boonies, if it was an all of a sudden shipping thing, I'd have to drive 50 freaking minutes to gosh-danged FedEx to ship that thing, then drive 50 freaking minutes back. Even if you pre-arrange it the day before, you've got to get the vet there at a certain time BEFORE FedEX shows up, etc. That is way too much crap for me to deal with. I can make more money sitting here on my behind typing... way more, with a heck of a lot less headache!

I'm not set up to do it myself, don't want to be, to tell you the truth, don't want a blasted thing to do with that mess! I will say this, though, after messing with those blasted kicking arse mares this year, they're all going to get AI'd this next year, and I don't care if I just breed my own two - I'll be happy with that! The amount of vet bills as far as ultrasounding is going to get unreal, but I'm not getting Kid hurt, and if anybody else wants a mare bred, they're going to have to pay for it, and the mare's going to have to be here...I hate breeding season with a passion! Can ya tell? HA! And I ain't sticking my hand up no mare's twat... just flat ain't gonna do it!
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Ways to market horses   Ways to market horses Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2007, 3:44 pm

lol! lol! AI is so easy.. I know what you mean about your stallion getting hurt.. Can and does happen.. This is why we do not live cover.. riding And, it's a lot of work and that is why you set your fee higher.. I also do not care if anyone breeds to my horse. I have him for myself.. I do have the set up and do advertise.. And, will breed other mares.. But, if I don't I do not care either.. coffee
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Ways to market horses   Ways to market horses Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2007, 12:09 am

You know, I can just literally see it. One reason is because I remember my grandmother throwing a wall-eyed fit upon hearing that my youngest sister wanted to be a vet... well, (with her hand up by her mouth), I just can't believe (shaking her head) one of my granddaughters is going to have her hand up a nasty cow's thang (shaking her head some more and rolling eyes).

Needless to say, she brought the house down, I think we were all in tears from laughing so hard... and I can see me having my hand up a horse's thang and thinking of my grandmother!

Okay, grandmother, no fear, ain't happening! HA!
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Ways to market horses   Ways to market horses Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2007, 3:46 pm

OH good grief.. I will come over there and show you how to do it.. After the first time you will be set.. cheers2 mbs

And, you will not be putting your arm up any ole cows thang.. nana booty
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Ways to market horses   Ways to market horses Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2007, 8:02 pm

So when ya coming? You're going to collect Kid, too, right? HA!

I'll have your bed (or Trent's bed) made and ready to go... any special requests for food? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ways to market horses   Ways to market horses Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ways to market horses
Page 1 of 1