Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

No Regional Show for me :(

Go down 
+2
Lynn M.
SuperLope
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SuperLope

SuperLope

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2007-02-07

No Regional Show for me :( Empty
PostSubject: No Regional Show for me :(   No Regional Show for me :( Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2007, 5:27 pm

I had a DR. appointment yesterday-- after being on my feet all weekend My ankles hurt very badly! I haven't been sleeping last night.

Maybe someone can help me figure out what is wrong lol!
So anyway we took some x-rays and an MRI and it showed that I had fluid in my ankle that was most likely caused by the snapping tendons. (We knew I had this problem-- I had surgery on the right one to fix it)

My ankles hurt in different places -- the right one only hurts on the "inside" and my left one hurts on the outside and inside. -- The outside is the snapping tendons. The Dr. said I have arthritis like symptoms -- but I'm only 16! I have sprained my ankles a lot (10+ times) but this really sucks.

I have to stay off them as much as possible in the next week and see if there is improvement No

does anyone else have chronic joint pain?? what can I do for it
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: No Regional Show for me :(   No Regional Show for me :( Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2007, 5:53 pm

My 2 cents-Ive worked as a ortho, neuro, trauma nurse so it is just my opinion many will have other opinions!
By having damage to the ligaments your joints are loose therefore you probably are doing some damage to the cartiledge of the joint when you walk or have a really long day. Some of the things that can help- very good athletic shoes (high tops will give you even more support and help you from rolling your ankles again), never wear shoes that are older than 3 months old (that is if you are wearing them regularly), no absolutes no heels or flip flops, ice ice and more ice at night. Try a joint supplement must have MSM in it try www.CytelM.com . I am not a big fan of joint supplements as studies have shown they are not very effective but this is one I believe is fairly effective even my hubby thinks it has helped him and he is a non believer. Don't spend money on a cheap knock off they won't do. Ankle surgeries have come a long way but ankle reconstructions are still in the dark ages if you can baby them along for a while you will be much better off. When I ride alot my ligaments will get stuck and my ankle will lock until I can force it to move- very painful- research has me believing in 5 yrs there will be something much better surgically for ankles. I hope you get to feeling better!!!!
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: No Regional Show for me :(   No Regional Show for me :( Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2007, 8:43 am

My mom had ligament damage for years and finally got surgery for it several years ago and it didn't really help a bit! Do you think on a really long day if you wore those stretchy slip on thingies that athletes wear or even taped your ankles that it might help in the short term?
My son has jumper's knee (Osgood Schlatter's) and he wears a knee strap when he plays basketball and if the player's have twisted their ankles in practice they always tape and wrap their ankles before a game.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: No Regional Show for me :(   No Regional Show for me :( Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2007, 9:24 am

Shocked Well Darnit, Sure hope the resting helps them, OUCH!
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: No Regional Show for me :(   No Regional Show for me :( Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2007, 9:31 am

I have a similar problem...I've sprained my ankles about 15 times each that I can actually think of...they wanted to do surgery on BOTH about 2 years ago - I told the Dr - No WAY - aint happenin!!!!

After long days my ankles look horrible - sometimes not just fluid but bruising as well... Rolling Eyes I'm a weirdo and when they get real bad I wrap them like I would a horse - furison and all....

oral HA has done wonders for garrett's boss but that is expensive and I'm still not sold on it (plus it isn't approved for human use Shocked )

Best things I've found is keeping them up and iced...maybe you should rig an ice boot for yourself - they have them for horses Razz Good luck chica - those things STINK!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
SuperLope

SuperLope

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: No Regional Show for me :(   No Regional Show for me :( Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2007, 3:29 pm

lol KIDD an Ice boot would be nice

I do have ankle braces that I wear Aircasts -- The Dr thought I could wean myself off them after the surgery -- not happening!

The trainer at school taught me how to tape them and I do it myself now. Like for a horse show (the braces don't fit in my boots)

Thank you Lynn! I definitely want to try some supplement-- glad I didn't jump on the Condrotin(sp?) bandwagon though -- turns out that is a waste of money. I think I might try that CytelM -- thanks for the link.

The good news about the show is that the asst. trainer's daughter will show molly in W-T (I couldn't get a refund but they let us transfer to other classes -- since we paid fo rthe stall anyway Smile
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: No Regional Show for me :(   No Regional Show for me :( Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2007, 4:18 pm

This is how I showed in a futurity, Put my boots on, Crushed my ankle! Big time, Anyway, Put my boots on as I cried Crying or Very sad from pain, Packed the ice on, Showed the rotten colt that crushed my ankle, felt no pain, won and ta da gave the owners the big check! confused Then went back to the doctor and got the cast. Ha, and he said I couldnt show! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: No Regional Show for me :(   No Regional Show for me :( Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2007, 8:17 pm

I wore an air cast for about 6 months at one point (broke a couple bones in my right ankle) - it wasn't ANY fun! I was running cross country at the time - ugh - I DID make an adjustment with my boots and my running shoes. I bought Ariat lace ups - the ones that aren't TOO tall... but go above your ankle... I tied the crud out of those and they provided a TON of support...

I found that lace ups on top of a neoprene brace can work wonders if you're bent on getting out there...neoprene is so much less bulky!!!

I'll be thinkin bout a good ice boot design for ya Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: No Regional Show for me :(   No Regional Show for me :( Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2007, 8:21 am

I had an ankle injury while I was in school, I don't think mine was as bad as yours, though... came over a hurdle, my ankle turned, and ripped all of my ligaments and tendons... Before I could sit down and take my danged cleats off, it had swollen to three times it's size. Now, that freaked me out. But I didn't break anything.

They had me on ice for 5 minutes, heat on 5 minutes, ice on 5 minutes, etc... brought down the swelling real quick. Had it wrapped, of course. Every time I ran, I wrapped it, always wore high tops, but from the sounds of it, I think Lynn's right, something's going on with your joints. Still to this day, oh, about 30 plus years later, if I run, that ankle has a tendency to go real soft on me.

I'm a big fan of DMSO, but that's mostly for muscles, not joints..... I'd see what your doctor and other doctors say... maybe get some second opinions, too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Regional Show for me :(   No Regional Show for me :( Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No Regional Show for me :(
Page 1 of 1