Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So let's talk mares

Go down 
+4
Bluejay
Lynn M.
SuperLope
7cedars
8 posters
AuthorMessage
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

So let's talk mares Empty
PostSubject: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2007, 1:47 pm

To me, they are the breeders. So much emphasis is put on the stallion, that they forget the most important thing - the dam. Ever walked down an aisleway of a big time sale, and see babies or whatever out of the same stallion that they're fine, look really good, and then two stalls down, you think, WHOA, what the heck happened here.

One reason why if I buy anything, I always try to see what the dam looked like. A friend of mine told me, you watch those grandparent looks and genes, because normally that's what you'll get. I still do that.

Very few stallions will overwhelm a mare - very few. I know when Sierra Te was real hot, Lordy, you could spot his a mile away - in a line-up, that is. Coolest, same thing - he gave his head and his color - didn't look like him, just the color and the head.

I've seen some of the nastiest looking mares you've ever laid your eyes on that throw some jam-up babies - it's in the genes. Doesn't matter who they're bred to, they just do it. Then I've seen some World Champion mares with tons of points on 'em throw literal crap. Never have figured out that one, unless they were just a fluke to begin with.

Ole Hank Weiscamp said that the mares were anywhere from 70-75% of the baby. I totally believe that.

So when I'm looking for a mare to buy... I'm thinking, okay, I konw what Kid will clean up, usually the head, put a longer neck, a bit more bulk, after that, it's all the mare... so when I'm looking, I think... okay, when that mare was young, could or would I have shown her. I also if at all possible, try to find a pic of her dam and any of the dam's lineage. But there's some broodmares out there, based on their lines, that just flat will throw consistently year after year, no matter who they're bred to. Those grand ole dams, as I like to call them, are worth their weight in gold.

Ever notice the boys get all the attention. I can't tell you any mare's name that have produced mega points on their babies... not a single one, come to think of it. Kinda sad, huh! ARGH!

I do know one thing... just because a mare is pretty and has tons and tons of points, whether halter or performance, doesn't make her a producer.

Come to think of it... why in the heck are we doing what we're doing? Criminey sakes alive! Every time one of mine has a baby, I'm cringing!
Back to top Go down
SuperLope

SuperLope

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2007, 4:38 pm

Quote :
Ever notice the boys get all the attention. I can't tell you any mare's name that have produced mega points on their babies... not a single one, come to think of it. Kinda sad, huh! ARGH!

Bears Raisen Kane

and

Pocos Unique Fashion -- haha those are the only two I can think of!

I agree with you it is the mare!

so many people I know around here breed their crap mares (I mean things that can't win at an open show) to good stallions and then wonder why the baby isn't a shoo-in at the Congress! I think shipped semen has a lot to do with it

and it isn't just QH
my friend has a Wb/TB cross (not registered, doesn't know the bloodlines) and she wants to breed her to a Big Name WB Rolling Eyes I keep telling her to just go buy something (her mare is really nothing to look at -- and doesn't have any wins on the circuit,)

gahh people Rolling Eyes

this is why molly is staying a virgin pray

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2007, 6:18 pm

you can sum it up in cutting right now with one mare "Royal Blue Boon"
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2007, 8:30 pm

I have seen some pretty ugly mares way out produce them selves. I like to see consistency in the lineage. That really paints a picture of what you may end up with.. I do look at papers too. If I do not see any thing I like I move on.

Who is Royal Blue Boon scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2007, 9:12 pm

best producing mare in the cutting industry... heard of Peptoboonsmal just one of her many foals...

here read this
http://www.6666ranch.com/RoyalBlueBoon.html

Last edited by on June 27th 2007, 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2007, 10:05 pm

Yep, Lynn, slap forgot about her... what was the name of that one filly that won everything with what's his face on top of her, you know, the dad and the son is a trainer, and he won what, amateur and open with her... Tad Wright... is that right? wonder if she's had any babies yet... if I owned her, I'd danged sure be doing the 4 or 5 baby deal! oooweee! That's some big time money!
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2007, 10:44 pm

Ok Shelia how about Smart Little Kitty the momma of High Brow Cat.. his get won over 5.2 mill in 2006 alone he pulls in a stud fee of 22,500 a year full book I'd kill to own that mare. Over half of the horses in the Forth Worth futurity open finals were his get I credit most of that back to his momma.... can you imagine how much her foals would be worth.
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2007-04-02

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2007, 11:35 pm

Too bad the rest of the world doesn't value a mare the way we do!!!! My daughter and I have a mare that would be worth a bundle, if she were a stallion. She's a Peppy San Badger granddaughter. Big muscle-y girl. 8 yrs old....dog-gentle. I've been trying to sell her for a year. A few people have ofered trades....
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2007, 12:09 am

too bad NV is so far away Smile I love my Peppy San Badgers Exclamation you should post a pic of her...
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2007, 8:30 am

Yep, Lynn, course we watched the futurity - goodness sakes.... I noticed how many of his were showing... he's the hot one. What amazed me more than anything was at the sale... if it was Peptoboonsmal and wasn't roaned out, they didn't go for much... which I thought was totally stupid!

Rick also has an idea about that.... jeesh!!!!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2007, 11:25 am

I want a MEGA MILKER! I mean milk by the gallon. Big Futurity babies that was.. cheers

Super mares, dont always have super foals. I like Bluejay have seen some down right ugly mares throw kick butt babies. Or how do you like it when one year you get a super tuff foal, same mare and same stallion then the next year a DINK. No

I will agree with the fact 75 (?) percent of the time, You get more Momma then you do Pop Pa. This is the most Common factor with foals. Im not saying ole Pops doesnt add this 2 cents here and there. But more times then not, its Mom. queen
Back to top Go down
denibun

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2007, 11:31 am

We had a big, drop dead gorgeous granddaughter of Coosa. At the same time, we had my old Two Eyed Jack mare. Both mares are nice mares in their respective disciplines. The Impressive mare always threw awesome babies. The TEJ mare did not. We bred them both to the same stud twice. The halter mare had awesome babies that were quiet, good minded, and built--both went to show homes. The TEJ mare had goofy, slight built foals. They were just never what we wanted. Both of those are now somebody's trail horse. We decided since she wasn't outproducing herself or even producing up to the quality of herself we wouldn't breed her again. She's been my riding horse ever since. I just couldn't get over how different the babies were out of two nice mares and by the same stud.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2007, 2:28 pm

When I had my paint stud... I'd bought some mares that I thought would cross good on him - ooowee, was I wrong... I sold that mare and the baby as soon as he was 2 weeks old on one of 'em... I told Rick to hide them in the back...HA!

Then I've had a whale of a male, the own daughter of Tardee Impressive, bred out the yezaw on the bottom side, too, that didn't cross well with Kid - they were okay, they were tall, super tall, but not halter - more HUS or big something or anothers... that I could never figure out. But once again, she's gone - was a whale of a mare, though. I gave her 3 babies, and then that was it.
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2007, 7:34 pm

Shasta...aka....Watch N Shasta can be see on dreamhorse....We had her priced at $7,500.00....Cut her price in half. Zip code...89445
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2007, 12:32 pm

Impressive resume on that mare.. study Mares do not get the credit they deserve in the industry.. Mad
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2007, 7:09 pm

Thanks BJ....Shasta really is such a sweetheart. The picture doesn't do her justice....Makes her look sorta funky. She loads, clips, bathes....A child could do her feet. kitty

I've always said, my horses may live in squallar, but they are bred up the ying-yang. lol!

I just wish that there were some shows within reasonable hauling distance, or I could win Publishers Clearing House........ riding
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2007, 8:37 pm

Raqdoll, I was talking about the mare that Lynn posted on here. I looked for yours on DH and could not find her.. Where the heck is she? I wanna see her... I tried by name and then zip code.. HELP.. I just gotta see her.. bounce
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2007, 10:16 pm

Hmmmmm....The ad should still be there.....My trainer has a bunch of horses for sale on there too. I'll check.
Back to top Go down
natmarie1122

natmarie1122

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2007-04-03

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitimeJune 29th 2007, 11:00 pm

Vital Signs Are Good! Don't forget about her I've seen a few of her babies in the Journal! They do, do embryo transfer or whatever with her but she's still pretty great!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So let's talk mares   So let's talk mares Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So let's talk mares
Page 1 of 1