Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

CARTERS CARTEL TAKES THE ED BURKE

Go down 
AuthorMessage
smokey

smokey

Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2007-04-26

CARTERS CARTEL TAKES THE ED BURKE Empty
PostSubject: CARTERS CARTEL TAKES THE ED BURKE   CARTERS CARTEL TAKES THE ED BURKE Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2007, 6:55 pm

Courtesy of www.losalamitos.com

Carters Cartel Sets Track Record In Ed Burke Million Win

Carters Cartel breaks Corona Chick's 16-year-
old track record going 350 in :17.179.

ALAMITOS RACE COURSE, CYPRESS, CA—Double Bar S Ranch's Carters Cartel had a race for the ages, as he broke his paternal granddam Corona Chick's long standing Los Alamitos track record at 350 yards, on the way to becoming only the eighth horse in 53 years to win both the Ed Burke Million Futurity and Kindergarten Futurity.
"Unreal," said Rhonda List of 2006 AQHA Champion Owner Double Bar S Ranch .

"Unbelievable," added her sister, Dawn List.

"Carters Cartel is the type of racehorse that you look for your entire life," said Jerry Young, the ranch manager of the successful Moreno Valley operation.

Trained by Jaime Gomez, who has now saddled 10 winners in the last 15 futurities at Los Alamitos, and ridden by Alejandro Luna, the son of Corona Cartel won Saturday's Grade 1 $1,130,000 race by 3/4 lengths over Eye For Corona while covering the distance in :17.179. The legendary Corona Chick had held the previous mark of :17.22 since October 16, 1991, four years before Carters Cartel's namesake, Carter List, was even born.

Carters Cartel is now eligible to win the $1 million Los Alamitos Cash Bonanza, which is the track's version of the Triple Crown. The Ed Burke is the first leg of this series of million-dollar races for 2-year-olds. The $1 million Golden State Futurity is next on November 2, followed by the Los Alamitos Two Million Futurity on December 14.

Carters Cartel is f-a-s-t, fast. And it all began at a California sale a couple of years back. "I remember when we bought Carters Cartel's mother, Jumping Tac Flash," said Dawn List. "My son Carter was sitting on the floor, just begging us to take him home."

"I wanted to go home and play," Carter recalled.

"I told him, Carter, just one more horse. That horse was Jumping Tac Flash," his mom added.

As a racehorse, Jumping Tac Flash was hard to forget. She was hot blooded. Ten years since her retirement, horsemen are still talk about her tantrums in the gate. Yet, her racing ability was something else. She won the Miss Kindergarten Futurity, which her son Carters Cartel has since duplicated when he won the Kindergarten on May 19. She was also named the 1993 champion 2-year-old filly.

"We wanted her but we were in the middle of a bidding war," Dawn recalled. "And the bidding was up to $200,000."

"We were about to stop," Rhonda said. "I even closed my (catalog) book because that was our signal that we were done bidding."

"I told Rhonda, 'No, open it, just one more bid, just one more. And we did it," Dawn followed.

Double Bar S Ranch purchased Jumping Tac Flash for $210,000.

"That was a lot of money but it's been well worth it," Dawn added.

In her time at Double Bar S Ranch, Jumping Tac Flash has produced Tac It Like A Man, winner of the Grade 1 PCQHRA Breeders Futurity and restricted Grade 1 Governor's Cup Futurity, and of course the new track record holder Carters Cartel. Overseeing the whole thing has been noted ranch manager Jerry Young. While he's been at Double Bar S Ranch for the past nine years, the 64-year-old has been a ranch manager for over a quarter of a century.

He was the ranch manager at Fred Scane's ranch, where Merridoc stood for many years. He also brought Easy Jet and Pie in the Sky to California to stand at Gateway Farm in Hemet. He worked for Abigail Kawananakoa for a couple of years and for the last nine years he has called Double Bar S Ranch home.

"I've been fortunate to work with some great people but I'm 100 percent sure that the girls at Double Bar S Ranch are the best people that I've ever worked with," Young said. "Working there with the girls is what makes a win like this truly special. I'm spoiled right now."

Young and Gomez have formed a golden partnership. Young takes care of the horses at the ranch before sending them to the current king of the two-year-olds for the start of their racing career. Jess You And I, the winner of the Golden State Million last year, is another Double Bar S Ranch futurity winner that has been under the care of Young and Gomez.

"Jaime has been great to work with," Young said. "We first start by breaking the horses. Jaime comes over and we look at the horses together. I tell him which horses I'm going to give to him and we go for it."

"Moments like this is what makes you get up in the morning," added Gomez, who joins Danny Cardoza as the only trainers to win all three million-dollar futurities at Los Alamitos. "A horse like Carters Cartel, he makes it easy for everybody. We'll give Carters Cartel a break. He's in the PCQHRA Breeders Futurity but that may be too close to the Golden State Million. It'll all depend on how he comes back from this race."

Carters Cartel earned $457,800 for the win to take his career earnings to $616,837. He has won four of five career starts.

Keilani Farms' Eye For Corona, also sired by Corona Cartel, earned $185,300 for finishing second. The Oklahoma-bred, who was ridden by Jeff Williams, has hit the board in all three starts this season.

Miss Kittys Bar Bet, just like she had done in the Kindergarten, had to settle for third in the Ed Burke. Owned by Dr. Steve Burns, the Sum Fun To Bet filly earned $130,800 for her effort for trainer Hector Jaime Hernandez.

Shez Snow Quick, fourth in the Kindergarten, finished fourth here as well. Racing for Marcus Smith, she banked $76,300. The This Snow Is Royal filly is over the $100,000 mark in career earnings.

Magic Show Czech, Kiddy Up, Tres Spice, Tailgunner Tom and Freaky completed the field.

Wicked Royal Cartel, undefeated in three career starts, was scratched. "She suffered a minor injury," said trainer Paul Jones. "We're going to give her three months off and we'll have her back in time for the Golden State Million Futurity."

Ed Allred and LA Times Sports Columnist T.J. Simers' Kiddy Up earned $54,500 for running sixth to take his career bankroll to $60,550. Of that amount, $50,000 is being donated to the Mattel Children's Hospital at UCLA. A check was presented to Dr. Ed McCabe and Dr. Kathleen Sakamoto of the Children's Hospital. The Double Bar S Ranch also pledged $10,000 to the Children's Hospital on behalf of the List Foundation.
Back to top Go down
smokey

smokey

Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2007-04-26

CARTERS CARTEL TAKES THE ED BURKE Empty
PostSubject: STYLISH JESS Br takes the Ed Burke Juvenile   CARTERS CARTEL TAKES THE ED BURKE Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2007, 7:00 pm

Stylish Jess Br Wins $35,000 Ed Burke Juvenile

LOS ALAMITOS RACE COURSE, CYPRESS, CA—Benny Rosset's Stylish Jess Br outdueled J. Garvan Kelly's Nolan Riley by a half-length win the first ever running of the $35,000 Ed Burke Juvenile Stakes Saturday at Los Alamitos. For Stylish Jess Br this was a nice consolation prize, considering that she was the 11th fastest qualifier to the Ed Burke Million Futurity in the June 9 trials.
Stylish Jess Br was bumped in the trials, yet she still managed to score a 3/4 length victory. She got a clean trip in the Ed Burke Juvenile on the way to a 1/2 length victory.

"That bump in the trials, I believe that cost us a lot of money," said Vince Genco, who manages Rosset's racing stock in the United States. "She was bumped off her feet and turned sideways in the trials. Otherwise I think she run a :17.40 and makes the final. She proved it tonight that she is fast."

A daughter of Feature Mr Jess, Stylish Jess Br won the Ed Burke Juvenile in a time of :17.346. Her time in the Ed Burke trials was :17.59. Bred by James Burgess, Stylish Jess Br earned $19,250 for the win.

"She's in all the California futurities, including the two big ones at the end of the year," Genco said.

Nolan Riley, a gelded son of Royal Shake Em, earned $7,875 for running second.

Fighter On Fire, Perksandmiracles, Jay Tee El, Dash Me With Rhythm, Shez A Cartel, Ramblin On Down and El Galun complete the field.

J. Garvan Kelly was resting and doing well after a heart scare earlier in the week according to racehorse partner Nancy Yearsley. It's been a tough month for Kelly and Yearsley. Their outstanding racehorse Dutch Schultz was euthanized following a spill on Friday and earlier in the month their prized mare Sheeza Lil Val was also euthanized. Sheeza Lil Val is the dam of 2005 Los Alamitos Million Futurity winner Value The Man and stakes runners Coronation Time and Fleeting Touch.

Courtesy of www.losalamitos.com
Back to top Go down

CARTERS CARTEL TAKES THE ED BURKE
Page 1 of 1