Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

diatomaceous earth?

Go down 
+5
Ragdoll
Lynn M.
7cedars
SilverBuckleHorses
denibun
9 posters
AuthorMessage
denibun

Number of posts : 638
Registration date : 2007-02-08

diatomaceous earth? Empty
PostSubject: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 12:01 pm

Does anybody know anything about or has anyone ever used diatomaceous earth as a top dressing for parasite and fly control? My farrier was out and was telling me that he feeds it to his horses and he has very, very few flies. I googled it and found some info, but was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with it.

denise
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 12:07 pm

I've never heard about it but would like to know more if you found out anything Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
denibun

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 12:12 pm

i'll let you know what i find out. I googled it and you can even feed it to dogs for flea and tick control.

denise
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 1:11 pm

Dia what? HA! Let us know... I'd sure try it on the dogs!!!! WHEW!
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 1:20 pm

why not just feed garlic or brewers yeast that is supposed to work too??? that seems kind of weird to feed to a horse or dog to me
Back to top Go down
denibun

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 3:56 pm

Lynn M. wrote:
why not just feed garlic or brewers yeast that is supposed to work too??? that seems kind of weird to feed to a horse or dog to me

I tried the garlic and brewers yeast on the dogs before. It didn't work.

denise
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 4:17 pm

Yesterday I was at the feed store and found the natural mineral blocks, but they have something in them that's a natural feed through fly control and they sell the suckers for 19.00. I thought that was pretty neat, but jeeze, 19.00 x6 horses, that sure adds up when you have to buy it every couple of months. By the way, anyone looking for a good fly control program, I finally got those Demand Pestabs from country supply and our flies are literally almost gone. Between those and the fly eliminators, I get to enjoy a fly free summer! (almost.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 4:51 pm

I need to get some of those little things pesky things...I know one thing, my kittens are having a big time with flies, and somebody caught a bird the other day, there's feathers everywhere in their little room.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 5:07 pm

I tell you I love the spot ons... they work great if they can do it around here... I would love to try the fly eliminators but we have 80acres and cattle that back up to us so I doubt we would get a lot of benefit from them.... my biggest problem is ticks... we found guinnea hens really do the trick for that...
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2007-04-02

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 5:42 pm

I've heard you can use it on fire/red ant mounds....Kills them.

I know thay used to use it for/in toothpaste.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 8:45 pm

Lynn, what's the spot ons? Anybody ever try those things that you either put on halters or tie around their neck sort of thing for flies?
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 9:10 pm

the spot on are like the ones you use for dogs they totally work for horses too....Ive tried several all at the same time on different horses the brand that works best is Equi-spot
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2007, 7:36 am

Oh, okay, you're talking about the kind that you what, put on their withers and go back to their back or from head to tail, kind of thing. I'll have to try those on the broodmares. Thanks, Lynn!
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2007, 7:59 am

I've heard that diatomaceous earth stuff has very sharp razor edges all over it that when inseccts ingest it, just cuts their insides all up and kills them. But of course the pieces are tiny, it's harmless to an animal. I've never heard of feeding it to a horse. I guess my only experience with it is in plants to keep the bugs off. We used to sprinkle it under plants. I would like to hear more. I need all the help I can get.
Back to top Go down
denibun

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2007, 9:11 am

Lynn- I have two geldings that act like the spot ons absolutely set them on fire. The others don't seem to mind it at all.

I wanted to buy some fly predators this year, but I decided against it. The horses are on 15 acres, but there's a 100 acres full of cattle that backs up to us. Usually we have more of a problem with horse flies and they don't work on them, but this year it's more just plain ole barn flies.

denise
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2007, 11:53 am

Denise which brand did you try? I tried 3 different kinds and have a mare that looks like hamburger if you leave her out in the summer for more than 3 weeks at a time.. I haven't had any problems with that equi-spot but it is definately one you don't want to get on your hands it stinks really really bad and lasts forever... a drop on each side of the withers at the poll at the tail head and at the hock and elbow... I believe that is all the spots if I remember correctly..
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2007, 12:48 pm

HA! Jools emailed me her secret recipe and it seems to be working pretty good. It took awhile for it "set in" but seems to be doing it's job and it smells good too! bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
denibun

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2007, 12:55 pm

I used the equispot.

denise
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2007, 1:37 pm

Ill remember that Denise and not use it on the younger horses... good heads up... Ive only used it on broodmares so far and the elderly
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2007, 1:39 pm

Cindy - I want the secret recipe!!!

My poor Duckie is dying - he HATES flies on his legs!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2007, 5:28 pm

Okay, I'll email it to you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 12:21 pm

diatomaceous earth works like a charm. And WAY cheaper than regular dewormer. Top dress it with grain, and away go not only a good portion of your flys, but your internal parasites, gone.
A guy out here used it on his PMU farm. We're talking over 100 mares, plus young stuff and studs. The vet did a fecal count and couldn't believe how low the parasite count was.
I definately reccommend it.
Back to top Go down
denibun

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 12:55 pm

Thanks. We're going to give it a go. It will be delivered with our feed next week. I wonder how long it will take for it to make a difference in the flies?

denise
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: diatomaceous earth?   diatomaceous earth? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

diatomaceous earth?
Page 1 of 1