Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Big Decision to make..

Go down 
+3
stockman
standbytrucker
Sip of Rum
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Big Decision to make.. Empty
PostSubject: Big Decision to make..   Big Decision to make.. Icon_minitimeApril 30th 2007, 10:25 pm

Ok so most of you know we are making the big move to Arizona this summer. I guess now we aren't moving the horses out til like October or something, which is a good idea. (not sure where they are going to be while we're gone yet) ANYWAYS... My mom is moving in June and starts her job on the 15th. She is just renting a place but it's going to be big enough for all of us just in case our house isn't done when it's time to move i think. My sister, me and my dad weren't going to move until the end of July...that would bring us to after our county fair and horse shows...the big question is..I feel SO incredibly bad leaving my mom in AZ by herself where she knows NOBODY except the people she works with. I was thinking that I COULD move down there with her and get a job and try make some friends before school actually started. This also means I would be missing all horse shows this summer and riding Cisco. I would most likely board him somewhere unless I can teach my sister how to ride him *I do NOT trust her with him lol* and he could stay somewhere where I KNOW they would take awsome care of him. Missing the fair would be a big deal for me and I wouldn't get to hang out with my friends obviously this summer before I move..maybe that's a good thing, maybe not. A good thing maybe because I couldn't party and do all that or get to hang out and like someone and get attached or get even closer to the friends I already love whom I've known for like 8 months. I mentioned this to my bff today and she seemed sad and didn't want to talk about it, but I just need some input...

My dad is in AZ right now and he went to go check on barns. I guess we can't have the horses in a barn, we're getting outdoor stalls connected to a big riding arena and then have a round pen and there are washes there and stuff..pretty cool i guess. The guy said he'd turn us in if we kept our horses inside...

Ok, so any input on the "me moving with my mom" would be awsome.. Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
standbytrucker

standbytrucker

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2007-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Big Decision to make..   Big Decision to make.. Icon_minitimeApril 30th 2007, 10:41 pm

i was in your shoes when i was 17. i understand your attachment to your mom, and worrying about her being alone, but she is a grown woman, and will be working and settling in, she will be okay.

we sold our farm of 16 years when i was 17. My mom and sister moved 400 miles away, and I decided to stay for the summer (before i left for college) it was a hard desicion.

and ill tell you what, i wouldnt have traded it for the world, I spent so much time with my dear friends, playing in the river, going on trail rides,rode my horse every day, and went to shows and things that i held dear to me. and when the summer ended, and i was moving, i was upset, but i was grateful for the last summer i got to spend with them.

some may disagree with me, but i feel that you should be able to enjoy your summer with the friends you have, and go to the fair that you love so much with your horse!

i hope that help dear!
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Big Decision to make..   Big Decision to make.. Icon_minitimeApril 30th 2007, 11:11 pm

Well, it is a really hard decision to make. You have your past you want to hang on to but you also have your future. You have to make friends for next year and sometimes it helps to have that summer. It's not easy to just start the first day of school and hope you make friends. I know you play basketball, don't you? I'd check with your new school and see if they are having any summer leagues or camps for the girls' team. That would be a great way to make new friends with your interests before school starts and will give you a better chance to make friends and also help you make the team. . I would also see if you could take some lessons or offer to help at out the new barn you will be boarding at. Maybe you can make some friends there. And getting a job would be a good idea too. You will always have your old friends-I don't think you need a whole summer to say goodbye. Isn't there any way you could take Cisco out earlier? Oh well, I'm sure it will work out in the end.
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Big Decision to make..   Big Decision to make.. Icon_minitimeApril 30th 2007, 11:34 pm

standby: that's exaclty how I feel too.. I realize that my mom will probably be able to do it by herself for a couple months, if that, maybe I'm just to worried..

stockman: I would have a month at the most if I waited to move with everyone else. It's not very much time but maybe if I got a job where young people work (like gas station, ect) I could meet people. My mom is checking on the bball team when she gets there, we were wondering about that earlier..hopefully they are at the same level as us too. The place where I would board is going to be here in Minnesota probably at one of my horsey friends' house..i'm not sure yet. We can't move them now because it is to late in the year because it is SO hot there now compared to here and you can't just switch them in the summer.

O!!!! btw, there is this AWSOME ranch about 10 miles from where i'm moving too, i think it's 10 miles, maybe less..anyways, I want to work there SO bad! Here's the link to it!

http://www.stagecoachtrailsranch.com/
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: Big Decision to make..   Big Decision to make.. Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2007, 7:04 am

I see both sides. Kind of a past and future kind of deal. I wouldn't base your decision specifically on your Mom. Heck, she's raised a set of twins. A woman who can do that, has got it pretty much together! She might even enjoy the quiet. I know when Rick and the boys leave together for a hunting trip, I usually feel lost for about a day, and then I enjoy my time alone or actually the quiet.

Kind of a toss-up. If there's some summer leagues on BB, then I can see you going down early, and why couldn't you go ahead and take Cinco with you then? I sure hate to see you missing your favorite horse shows, though. When you get older, you may not be able to have horses or show a lot...

And the issue about not having the horses in the barn during the day, so as a friend of mine used to say, won't bake their brains out during the day, what the heck is wrong with that, if it's an airey barn with plenty of fans? Might want to ask Silverbuckles about that. Barn owner sounds kind of weird to me.
Back to top Go down
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Big Decision to make..   Big Decision to make.. Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2007, 10:27 am

where are you moving to? wheres your house being built at?
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Big Decision to make..   Big Decision to make.. Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2007, 11:18 am

BOY, that's a tuff question. scratch I can see both sides here as well. I guess speaking as a mother I would love to have some one on one time with my daughter.. And, you can help get things going on the new house and such.. I guess it really depends on how you and your Mother get along and if she would like you to be there with her.. study Also, how would the sis and dad feel about it?

On the other hand there is summer coming up and leaving all that behind will be a new phase in your life.. We moved around the state a lot when I was gowing up. My Dad worked for the State Hwy department and he was transferred a lot. Seemed like a new shool every year.. I did like moving in the summer and making new friends before school started.. It helped me know how the kids were in that area.. What was cool and not cool if you know what I mean. How they dressed etc. It would also give you some time to scope out the boarding facilities..

There are a few on here that live in AZ and you could hook up with them and have a ball figuring all this out since this will be a new life for you.. ily

I say follow your heart..
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

PostSubject: Re: Big Decision to make..   Big Decision to make.. Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2007, 11:21 am

I think in the end, you will make the choice that is right for you, and no one can make that for you. I will say that I agree that your mom is a grown woman, plain and simple, and she can manage, probably very happy on her own for awhile. Consider it a vacation.

One thing, why did the man say he will turn you in for keeping them in a barn? Because well, that's the biggest bunch of crap I've ever heard and kind of ticks me off. Every reputable boarding / training stable has an enclosed barn, most with AC units and/or box fans. The only thing you have to do if you keep them inside in the summer is make sure he has electrolytes, same I do for mine. Would you mind telling me the name of the stable you're looking at?
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Big Decision to make..   Big Decision to make.. Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2007, 3:54 pm

Ok let me restate that...we were going to have a barn WITH fans, but i guess you need to have AC in it. I know there are a lot of barns out there with "BARNS" but yaa, Idk it wasn't a boarding place, it was a guy that builds the sheds/barns. my dad went around to about 4 other places in that town/area and they told him the same thing...the horses need to be outside.

We are moving to a town called Kingman, AZ.

I think i'm going to bring this up to my mom tonight and see what she says about me moving with her. We get along awsome and she's kind of like a big sister to me i guess. She's a lot of fun and my dad is the complete opposit and i'm not REALLy looking forward to spending all summer with him but my mom said she'll talk him into letting us have fun since its our last one... but yah i'll talk to her soon adn let you all know what she says.
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

PostSubject: Re: Big Decision to make..   Big Decision to make.. Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2007, 7:12 pm

You don't "need" to have ac, you need to have fans with plenty of ventilation to make your horses comfortable. I think it may just be "Kingman" people, they're known for being non-show people. They're all barrel racers and ropers who think they know it all, not trying to stereotype those two events, the town just doesn't have the best rep as far as horse people go. If I were you guys, I would call the barn builders in the metro area, you'll have better luck and they go all over the state.
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Big Decision to make..   Big Decision to make.. Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2007, 9:09 pm

Ok thanks, well I think my sister will be happy about the barrel racer part haha!

Ok, so i think we're going to do the open stalls anyways, it's cheaper that way for my parents and then we can always move it if needed, and where we're moving to is pretty windy most of the time and I think it would be better for them outside.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Decision to make..   Big Decision to make.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Big Decision to make..
Page 1 of 1