Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Well we found out today that...

Go down 
+2
7cedars
Sip of Rum
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Well we found out today that... Empty
PostSubject: Well we found out today that...   Well we found out today that... Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 9:15 pm

We're moving for sure...

My mom went down for an interview for a job in AZ, and she got it. It starts on June 15 and we are moving sometime in August. *we as in my sister, me and my dad, my mom will already be there* The house is being built soon along with the barn/shed. We ARE bringing the horses with, and we need to get all set up. Any tips for hauling across the country are appreciated!!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Well we found out today that...   Well we found out today that... Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 10:23 pm

Boy, you're in for a climate shock! But you'll be fine.

Congrats to your Mom!

1) Haul water from home, use milk jugs or whatever.
2) All sorts of medicines, banamine, bute, vet #'s for the route down, just in case, etc.
3) I usually start my trip and fuel up about 20-30 minutes down the road, check on everybody, make sure they're settled and take off.
4) I stop every 3-4 hours without fail to fuel up, get me some boston baked beans or some gummy bears, grab a Gatorade and take off again. Offer them water.
5) I also have a hay net up during hauling - gives them something to whittle away the time.

As far as overnight stay, I can't help you with that. I know there's a ton of info out there on where to keep horses over night, but I've never done that. Me, I'd probably be so danged worried, I'd be sleeping in front of their stall or something.
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Well we found out today that...   Well we found out today that... Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 10:26 pm

Thanks for the tips!!

I know for sure, that if we spend the night somwhere, or w/e I am getting a chain and lock for that stall door!!
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Well we found out today that...   Well we found out today that... Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 10:27 pm

Also, our horse trailor is like this...is it ok to haul them across the country in??

Well we found out today that... 33_2
Back to top Go down
B2

PostSubject: Re: Well we found out today that...   Well we found out today that... Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 10:31 pm

make sure to have electrolytes on hand, that time of year its going to be hot and they need to be hydrated. Also keep alcohol on hand to put on a cloth and you can wipe it on their legs...throatlatch, and behind their ears its a fast cool down.

edited to add bed the trailer with alot of shavings for a really nice cushion for their legs, also another thing you can spray on their legs is beagleoil <spelling>
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

PostSubject: Re: Well we found out today that...   Well we found out today that... Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 10:38 pm

Tara posted the number one tip, keep electrolytes on hand. You're moving from one extreme climate to another, and at a really hot time of year. August tends to be our hottest month in Arizona, so when you get down here, make sure to get the fans in the stalls up and watch them closely for signs of dehydration. On a happy note, can't wait until you get down here to AZ, maybe we can hit some shows together Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Well we found out today that...   Well we found out today that... Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2007, 6:44 pm

Ok thanks guys! So that trailer is ok??

SilverBuckle: That would be soo awsome!!! YAY! haha
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Well we found out today that...   Well we found out today that... Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2007, 6:59 pm

I would start mixing powdered electrolytes in your horses water a couple of weeks before you leave...then you will have them used to the taste AND if you happen to run out of water you will be okay because electrolytes usually help horses to adjust to water - it will help them once you get to your new place too!!!

Buy a few tubes of the electrolyte paste also!!!

I think the trailer is fine...its all about making them comfortable in the trailer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Well we found out today that...   Well we found out today that... Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2007, 7:07 pm

Ok I'll make sure to get some. So what exactly do the electrolytes do? I know it keeps them hydrated but....?

thank you soo much for the tips!
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Well we found out today that...   Well we found out today that... Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2007, 8:33 pm

http://www.horsemotel.com/ There are your horse hotel. For the US.. Basketball
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Well we found out today that...   Well we found out today that... Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2007, 8:35 pm

Trailer looks fine.. I would also vacinate if you plan to lay over. Never know what was there before you.. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Well we found out today that...   Well we found out today that... Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2007, 9:34 pm

Ok sweet! Thanks! I also found a website called... www.horsetrip.com

Its going to be a LOT of fun picking places out, there are some REALLY nice ones for pretty cheap! I'm going to try to get my dad to map out our trip with the horses so I can find some places!

ETA: I LOVE LOVE LOVE your sig!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Well we found out today that...   Well we found out today that... Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2007, 11:26 pm

Kidd Thats just what I was thinking.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Well we found out today that...   Well we found out today that... Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2007, 11:21 am

It is kinda big. I will change it in a few days.. Makes me want to take a nice nap... Sleep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well we found out today that...   Well we found out today that... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Well we found out today that...
Page 1 of 1