Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HERDA Test now Available

Go down 
+2
Bluejay
QHorse163
6 posters
AuthorMessage
B2

HERDA Test now Available Empty
PostSubject: HERDA Test now Available   HERDA Test now Available Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2007, 6:12 pm

I just noticed this on the AQHA website so I am guessing its a new announcement?

HERDA TEST AVAILABLE
CORNELL UNIVERSITY DEVELOPS TEST TO IDENTIFY CARRIERS OF DISEASE.
A DNA test for the autosomal recessive connective tissue disorder HERDA has been developed by genetics researchers at Cornell University and is now available to the public.
According to CU geneticist Nena Winand, D.V.M., Ph.D., the test unambiguously identifies normal, carrier and affected horses. Affected foals can be definitively identified at birth.
“I want this to be used as a tool for breeders,” Winand said. “This test will enable us to manage this disease by testing for it and breeding intelligently.”
HERDA (hereditary equine regional dermal asthenia) is a disease caused by a homozygous recessive gene. When expressed, it causes a collagen defect in the skin of affected horses resulting in a lack of adhesion in the deep layers of skin. Trauma to the skin results in skin wounds that don’t heal. Most affected horses have a poor quality of life and are typically euthanized.
“As with tests for other genetic disorders, we hope being able to genetically test for HERDA will aid in the humane management of affected horses, and reduce the financial loss for breeders,” Winand said.
The test can be used with hair or blood samples. Testing inquiries can be made to:
Nena Winand, D.V.M., Ph.D.
Department of Molecular Medicine
C4-140 VMC
College of Veterinary Medicine
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-6401
Phone: (607) 253-3608
E-mail at: njw2@cornell.edu
Back to top Go down
QHorse163

QHorse163

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: HERDA Test now Available   HERDA Test now Available Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2007, 9:35 pm

Sounds like good news! Smile I wonder if they will start putting a line about HERDA on the registration certificates like they do for HYPP?
Back to top Go down
B2

PostSubject: Re: HERDA Test now Available   HERDA Test now Available Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2007, 9:38 pm

QHorse163 wrote:
Sounds like good news! Smile I wonder if they will start putting a line about HERDA on the registration certificates like they do for HYPP?

I would love to see them do that, and make it a requirement for registration the same way HYPP is now mandatory. Could be a way to head this thing off hopefully.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: HERDA Test now Available   HERDA Test now Available Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2007, 11:38 pm

That good ole cowboy line breeding. Gotta love it.. affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871

PostSubject: Re: HERDA Test now Available   HERDA Test now Available Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2007, 8:44 am

HERDA is the disease where the skin can fall off the muscle right? Just
curious, is it linked to a particular lineage or just something can can
happen?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: HERDA Test now Available   HERDA Test now Available Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2007, 8:46 am

I think I'm right here, it's linked to Poco Bueno.
Back to top Go down
B3

PostSubject: Re: HERDA Test now Available   HERDA Test now Available Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2007, 9:44 am

Tara wrote:
QHorse163 wrote:

I would love to see them do that, and make it a requirement for registration the same way HYPP is now mandatory. Could be a way to head this thing off hopefully.

I agree wholeheartedly - this is great news, and I'm sure there will be a rule change very soon to make it mandatory to test and note the results on the registration papers.

7C's, you're right...it has been linked to Poco Bueno.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

PostSubject: Re: HERDA Test now Available   HERDA Test now Available Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2007, 11:07 am

Cindy, yes that is where the skin just falls off. There is no cure or treatment for it. And, it did link back to Poco Beuno. affraid

The GREB (I think that is what it is called) is the fatal foal desease. Last articles I read was it linked back to King. And it too has to have both mare and stallion poss to get it.. No cure or treatment for that either. the foals just die after a few days.. Rolling Eyes

This all was came about from line breeding. I do not breed anything too close.. I have friends that will breed sire to mother so on and so forth. That is just too close for my taste. No

If you really study this you will find most breeds have things like this. This is not just a QH thing. Just goes to show that there is no such thing as a perfect anything.. study
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: HERDA Test now Available   HERDA Test now Available Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2007, 11:23 am

I agree on the some people breed too close...

There is a stallion I know who is by XYZ out of a mare who is by XYX and the mare is linebred (sons on their mamas) scary stuff if you ask me!!!

The closest I go is 2x3...and even that had better have some BIG outcrosses...

Right now I've got a 3x3 Easy Six mare but she has a lot of different blood in there...

Line breeding becomes INBREEDING when genetic defects start showing!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: HERDA Test now Available   HERDA Test now Available Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2007, 5:02 pm

lol Blue jay the other one is GBED.... Lots of information on the net available about it.

Also the HERDA is more so of when the foal has no elasticity to its skin, mostly on its back, head, neck, back of legs etc. So usually if the foal injures itself by hitting something, ( I have heard horror stories of this) then the HERDA foal's skin just peels right off. Terrible....

But usually they find out a horse has HERDA when they do to train it, they get on that horse with a saddle, ride it a bit, and when they take the saddle off, the skin i starting to peel.

This is why I did not breed my very Poco bueno bred mare to the AQHA/FQHA perlino poco bueno bred stud. That would have been disaster I am sure...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HERDA Test now Available   HERDA Test now Available Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HERDA Test now Available
Page 1 of 1