Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cleaning this up

Go down 
+3
SilverBuckleHorses
REINING CHICK
reiningfan
7 posters
AuthorMessage
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Cleaning this up Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning this up   Cleaning this up Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2009, 3:57 pm

I'm halter breaking and putting weight on this blue roan yearling. He came here with manure balls hanging off him. I want to clean him up, but how do I get it all off? I was thinking clippers, but he's not real quiet and it's still cold here.
Cleaning this up IMG_2250

Cleaning this up IMG_2256

Cleaning this up IMG_2258

Cleaning this up IMG_2265

I've managed to get most of it off his hind quarters, but his belly and elbows are still that bad. Look at the difference between him and my sorrel pony yearling. Aaron is so much cleaner. I don't want people thinking that my horses look like the roan.
Back to top Go down
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Cleaning this up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning this up   Cleaning this up Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2009, 5:33 pm

well if its to cold to bathe him then i dont know. lol my yearling came to me like that but it just took time and brushing and i bathed him like 3 times to get that crap off. lol!
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Cleaning this up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning this up   Cleaning this up Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2009, 8:31 pm

To loosen everything up, I would spray that down with WD40, like you would a tail that was badly matted. It will penetrate the manure so you can break it off with a shedding blade.

Just what I know works and the WD40 isn't going to hurt him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Cleaning this up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning this up   Cleaning this up Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 2:54 am

That first close up picture gives me the heebie jeebies, I know Im weird. I agree with SB. WD40 and a metal curry comb. Start with small swipes first in small areas.

Hope you can get him done.

As you know, Im partial to blue roans. So, hows he bred? You can already see the white underneath that coat. I bet this summer he will be pretty!
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Cleaning this up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning this up   Cleaning this up Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 6:40 am

cowboy magic makes a nice silicone based detangler that works magic if you don't want to use petrolum based products on your animal which I think wd40 is.... if it is you might want to double think it as it absorbs through the skin and they nip at themselves you are looking at liver damage I know you aren't using much very often but with the fly sprays we use today etc... the chemicals we put on our horses are pretty harsh for them on a cummulative basis.. He looks like a sweetheart has a kind looking face to him
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Cleaning this up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning this up   Cleaning this up Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 9:35 am

He is a real nice colt to work with. To get him into my trailer they ran him into a tie stall and got a halter on him with two lungelines attached, then we basically man handled him into my trailer. I can now go into his stall without him freaking out and he loves to get his jaw scratched. He loves getting brushed, but he's getting ticked off about those manure balls getting worked at.
His barn name is Matt, Brennen & I named him that due to his condition. You could completely feel his ribs. He's got a bit more flesh on them now. He wasn't used to having hay in front of him all the time. He'd been getting oats and free fed straw, hay when his owner could afford it. He is supposed to be going to my grandparents place this spring, but I might have a hard time letting him go.
This is his pedigree. His sire also sired the winner of the Manitoba bred futurity or something like that last year. 1st place brought the owner a check of about $8k, but other than that I don't know what his sire has done or sired.
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/dark+n+dashing+x+jo+jos+sizzler
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Cleaning this up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning this up   Cleaning this up Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 10:11 am

maybe a very pretty colored barrel horse
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

Cleaning this up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning this up   Cleaning this up Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 10:52 am

Take that shedding blade and keep scratching his belly with it. It will come off. I had one like that a couple years ago that would always lay in the crap pile or mud. Lots of fun!!
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Cleaning this up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning this up   Cleaning this up Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 11:15 am

Cowboy magic is great stuff.. And I would never put WD40 on my horse. YUK.. Also, the shedding blade or a curry would work as well. Work at it a little at a time if it bothers him. That would plug up your clippers.. You could also, snip the hard ones off with scissors if you had to. Cool

Yes, I know some people use WD40 to detangle mane and tails.. But, this is not hanging off the horse like they do. coffee
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Sponsored content

Cleaning this up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning this up   Cleaning this up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cleaning this up
Page 1 of 1