Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

tips for first APHA show?

Go down 
+2
Mare
Merikle Waters
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2007-02-08

tips for first APHA show? Empty
PostSubject: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2008, 8:01 pm

So I am getting very nervous... my first APHA show, and my yearling stud colts third show, I am also showing open instead of amateur....

Does anyone have any tips for me as I show with the really big boys of the halter show?

This is what I know needs to be done for prep prior to the show.... Am I missing anything y'all notice?

So for clipping-
-leg white up to knee area, feather in.
- Face white, feather in dark hair
- ears
- bridle path to the length of his ear
- whiskers clipped, then shaved
- nose hair cleaned out
- eye whiskers cut off
- mane pulled and neatly banded (I am actually most worried about this one...) smoothed with gel, and a possibly sleazy hood, as well as tail neatly smoothed).
- Hooves sanded and blacked..

Any other tips you all can help me with on this very nerve racking day?
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

PostSubject: Re: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2008, 9:31 pm

It sounds like you have it covered.
Now go out and kick some Bootie!! cheering
Get lots of pics!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2008, 6:51 am

Something else I forgot to put on our private message is, your horse better set up perfectly!!!!

I think that's all I can think of right now... and remember what I said about the CHAIN!!!!
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2008, 2:58 pm

7cedars wrote:
Something else I forgot to put on our private message is, your horse better set up perfectly!!!!

I think that's all I can think of right now... and remember what I said about the CHAIN!!!!

He normally does... I've been setting him up since he was 3 months old... so he should remember!!! LOL I HOPE!

Also, at the last show... he was perfectly set up. Smile

The chain thing... I know im not going to show him with a chain over his nose lol. Anytime he has it over his nose, I'm not pulling or yanking, he is extra obediant with it is all... I just know he's not going to walk very well with it under his chin, he's all excited being a youngster.... more in PM Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2008, 3:13 pm

7cedars wrote:

AND WHOA! NOT MOVE AT ALL!
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2008, 3:30 pm

Triple J Quarter Horses wrote:
7cedars wrote:

AND WHOA! NOT MOVE AT ALL!

lol, I try! We can only do our best, and hope to improve... he stood still at the last show, so here's to hoping he's decided this is important to mommy and he needs to stand still there too...

One thing I have noticed though... Since we started hauling and showing, he is so much more quiet of a boy cheers
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

PostSubject: Re: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2008, 1:44 pm

WELL?????? How did it go??? Does The Paint Assoc. Have an web site you can check out show results, like the quarter horse assoc. does?
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2008, 2:53 pm

WELL?????? How did it go??? Does The Paint Assoc. Have an web site you can check out show results, like the quarter horse assoc. does?

Its next weekend Very Happy June 21rst... I got his legs and face clipped last night, and will sand his hooves and chestnuts after the farrier is out today. Ears, muzzle, nose and bridle path will be done on thursday.

I still don't know how I need to be showing him... Do I need to have a lip chain, or could it be over the tongue? or just normal under the chin (I don't know if he'll be as well behaved like this).
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

PostSubject: Re: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2008, 2:58 pm

could it be over the tongue?

Not Allowed in AQHA.. So, Id not do that one. IF you go over the uppper gum, Pratice at home. Mad Some it makes made. If you want try just the over the nose, its allowed with studs. If you have to jerk you chances of him going up and over are less rather then under. Get a Chain Keeper as you have to have at least 2 links showing at all times.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2008, 9:37 pm

could it be over the tongue?

Not Allowed in AQHA.. So, Id not do that one. IF you go over the uppper gum, Pratice at home. Mad Some it makes made. If you want try just the over the nose, its allowed with studs. If you have to jerk you chances of him going up and over are less rather then under. Get a Chain Keeper as you have to have at least 2 links showing at all times.

I Do everything with him with a chain over his nose... so he knows to behave with it on... never had to jerk on it, I wiggle it and he knows.

Whats a chain keeper? Where could I get one? Im going to dig out the APHA rule book here quickly, and see what I can pull up here. I dont like lip chains, and while he let me, he looked very sad about it... Not perky at all as if even slight pressure just was killing him.

I don't want it through his mouth either...want him nice and soft in the mouth come time for his WP training... just wanted to know my possibilities. The halter book 7Cedars recommended only talks about lip chains, so I have no idea how to show him..

Thanks for all your help! If I there is ever a way I can repay you, let me know! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2008, 9:57 am

i always take a rag and wipe baby oil on their muzzle and around their eyes. It really hightlights the face and makes the eyes look striking. I used to use that Silverado highlighter but am more pleased with just plain baby oil or you could use baby oil gel probably as it is less messy. Good luck!
What are you wearing? Do you need tips on your presentation, too?
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2008, 2:35 pm

i do put on baby oil as well... but it doesn't highlight him as much because of his pink skin and such... But thanks for the tip!

I am planning to wear what I usually wear, black show pants, black cowboy hat, Black suit jacket (Or blazer I guess?) with a lighter brown shirt with the collar showing to accent it all... I also plan to hopefully be wearing black gloves...

Does that sound ok?
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

PostSubject: Re: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2008, 9:48 pm

Gloves was out about umm 6 years ago. Unless your hands are just so dirty, I wouldnt.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitimeJune 18th 2008, 2:22 pm

lol ok... I just hate the stupid "this is in, this isn't" crap... I've never been one to follow trends.. and I sure hate doing it in my showing too... But don't want to look like the idiot who is the only one wearing gloves...

Thanks T-J Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2008, 3:26 am

*sigh*, so tristan somehow injured himself tonight. Not too terribly bad, enough that Im not going to this show and it has to stay wrapped for a while.

Nothing ever seems to go right Sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2008, 11:44 am

That's too bad. I know you were geared up for this show. Hope he gets better quick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tips for first APHA show?   tips for first APHA show? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tips for first APHA show?
Page 1 of 1