Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

2 shows this weekend!

Go down 
+2
reiningfan
Merikle Waters
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2007-02-08

2 shows this weekend! Empty
PostSubject: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 6th 2008, 4:27 am

So, fighting to get out there and go to as many as we can... I hauled Tristan and Taffy (barrel mare) in for 2 open shows this weekend... BUT I do have Tristan enrolled in the PAC program (allows you to collect points at open/non APHA sanctioned shows), just need to apply... So *hopefully* I can get the shows approved :0) Then I can begin collecting some PAC points on him!

However This is tristans second show... and we're prepping for our first "real big" breed show (The both of us!)... So Im hoping he gets calmer and calmer about things... Which I think he will. Because he loaded much better (his 3rd time), hauled great, and was much more settled getting into his stall.

Since the show is saturday, they got hauled earlier... 1. because its easier for tristan to settle in, and 2. I have a funeral tomorrow.... But its better this way, easier to keep him clean, and I can take him in the arena to chill out a bit more.. considering he has only been in an arena once LOL and he hollered, and hollered... and in general didnt want to stand still... Given with a stud colt new to the show scene.

I am just really proud to have him out there... he looks fantasctic IMO, and I am just really happy my stud colt is out there starting his career... especially by the hand of me! The first show I took him to, the judge couldnt take her eyes off him... however he was a bit ill behaved... but I wanted it to be a good experience for the first time, so didnt get after him hard core... just kept setting him back up, calm and collected. I am hoping this time with the extra time there he will do much better!

It can only get better from here!

Wish us luck!
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 6th 2008, 6:44 am

I wish you good luck.
Are both at the same place? Open shows don't start around here for a bit.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 7th 2008, 1:45 am

Thank you very much! Very Happy

Shows started a while back... Alberta is loaded with so many, you get to pick and choose which ones you'd like to go to LOL

And this show is at the one stable... and the other about 5 minutes from there.

I bathed him this evening for the first time (the best I could do with cold water and no wash rack), and he did superb... Looks great. I didn't bother banding his mane (what with our funeral I wouldnt have had time to do a good job)... but its an open show and few even pull let alone band.

So his hooves are blacked, he is as clean as I can get him without the anivac steam clean I get to use for the APHA Shows Very Happy Laughing It pays to know people with expensive toys LOL.... And his forelock braided.. he's clipped (even his ears! YAY!), his mane is pulled... and in general looks purty dang good to me!

Show is in the morning... I really hope to do well. But I even entered him in sms for the extra ring time... I think he'll be really good for the APHA show on the 21rst! Very Happy

Gettin excited lol
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2008, 10:11 pm

So Tristan was superb! had a little bit of an issue while waiting to go in the ring... but in the ring, he was 200 times better than the previous show!

LOL in the halter class I SWEAR every horse had a pee and a poo... so I had to remind him to put his thingy away.

I knew the judge from a previous show, very nice lady but has a particular taste... which is fine with me. I came for the experience for him really.

She said how nice of a colt he is and how well behaved for his second time off the farm, and being the only stud there. She asked me if he was of a certain bloodline she really liked... and I proudly stated "Nope! He's by my stud and out of one of my girls at home".

He was the only yearling there, but she also said she liked how balanced he was especially as a yearling, and that had the class of 15 had one less, he would have placed.

Im not worried! His behaviour is improving like crazy, and he looked really good. Dancing

He even loaded like a champ this morning!

I cancelled out on the other show... because while it would have made my day to go, it was raining and an outdoor show. While they said they would go to the same place I was at the day before if it was, they decided last minute to do it there. I was not in to my expensive clothes and tack being rained on, as well as there would be no safe place to tie Tristan.... and wasting gas is not an option.

Now my mare... She didnt place in halter with the girl showing her... which is fine, its experience for the kid. But in SMS she placed 3rd (The girl I brought was the only one doing pivots and properly placing herself for the judges view), but she was tickled pink! (last time she won first, LOL and she liked the color of the ribbon she got haha)

And we are obviously improving together... Barrels, in a field of 15 horses Approx, even though I didnt think our run was great, we placed second against some of the girls who run 1D in ABRA here. I was really happy with that. Taffy and I also won the bareback $5 Bill race like normal, got the ribbon as well as $30... lol not a ton, but its money!

Its getting sad... got lots of girls who will scratch if they see me going in the bareback race... They never know when I might slip up! Taffy is really a hot horse and really rough... thing is I do ride bareback at home almost always... so I have a lot of time with her and most of my other horses doing that.

All in all, my horses did good for me, and I am happy and had fun!

Ill try and get some pictures up here soon.
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2008, 10:50 am

As much as we need the rain, it sucks when it wrecks a show day. Glad he did well for you. What other shows do you have planned? Brennen & I are planning on going to an open show on the 28th.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2008, 2:26 pm

no kidding... We did need it though. Seems like for the past while every storm passes by us. Not that we personally need more grass! lol got lots of that!

My show schedule is quite packed this year... What with me showing for someone else as well as going to my own...

Good thing with the long APHA shows is Im in halter only... So I can leave just shortly after my classes are done.

June: 21-22nd, APHA Show in Olds
July: 4th-6th Showing A Circuit Pony (something like that haha)
July: 11th-13th APHA show in Drayton Valley
July: 12th-13th, Didsbury Open show
July: 24th Vermillion show with pony studs
August: 2nd-3rd Thorsby show with pony studs
August: 7-8th APHA show in Red Deer

Then from August 9th-23rd I'm Showing all over Alberta and down into the states for This lady. Should be fun lol

Then Ugust 28th-30th, I have the caspian demo

And September is pretty full as well

How many shows you and Brennen going to this year?
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 12:06 am

We're planning on around 10+ shows this summer, not including 3-D.

June 28th- Rapid City
July 13th- McAuley Barrels & Working Ranch Horse (just after lunch)
July 13th (evening) & July 14th- Oak River
July 15th- Strathclair
July 16th- Shoal Lake
July 17th- Hamiota
July 18th- Harding
July 19th- Oak Lake

Also, we are planiing on going to Birtle, Elkhorn, Virden, Roblin & Moosomin (Saskatchewan).
The whole week worth is called "the milk run". I might need a week to recover from it. My mom is taking Taegan & Sean that I week. I hope. Because Brenn & I are gonna live out of the truck.

He is planning on showing the following classes
Pony brood mare- Freckles
Pony foal- Robin
Yearling horse- Caffiene (the red roan)
2 year old- Seth
3+ mare or gelding- Sandy
SMS, HMS & WP- Sandy
Barrels & Poles- Vamp

He's not leaving me much room in the trailer for my horses, is he? Laughing
At least for the few shows that Taegan & Sean come to, Sean can ride Freckles in leadline. I'm bringing Tom as well, so Taegan can use him for walk/trot. There are a few shows with Junior horse classes specifically for 2 year olds, so Seth'll do them too. And Caffiene might only come to a few shows. She needs to get out, but a whole week of showing might do her in.
Pep got hurt again, so I won't likely be able to do reining this year.
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 12:42 am

Good Luck to all of you at your shows. It sounds like it will be fun.
I was planing on going to the Buckskin Congress in Idaho but now I might not be able to go. I just wanted to go see whats out there and drool over the horses. I have to go to MN in August so I better save my money.
And make sure you post lots of pics of the shows.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 2:11 pm

Thanks Mare! Very Happy

And Yep, Brennen sure is planning to bring a lot! How big is your trailer!? LOL right now all I have is a dinky 2 horse... so we're looking around and having no luck for a 3 horse (My truck isnt big enough to haul much more) in the 5-7K range... Bumper pull of course Very Happy Aww how did Pep get hurt!?

I am actually going to do it... at an open show this year, Im entering taffy in reining hahahaha.... should be interesting, although she does do amazing roll backs..

Here is some pics of our show, picture quality aint great tho.

2 shows this weekend! Tristaninring

2 shows this weekend! TrustanandI

lol this was his only scream of the day... answering girls I guess haha

2 shows this weekend! Tristanscreaming

2 shows this weekend! Tristanandme9

2 shows this weekend! Alyssaandtaff

2 shows this weekend! Alyssaandtaffy1

2 shows this weekend! Alyssa

2 shows this weekend! Tristannme1-1

2 shows this weekend! Meandtristan3

2 shows this weekend! Meandtristan1

LOL I have tons more... but thats plenty!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 2:35 pm

Boy, here they would kill you in showmanship for not having your lead with a loop in it. And dropping your hands is death! pale Question do they not band there? I saw on another forum where a lady it doing her best to get roaching the mane back in AQHA Halter, showmanship etc. I cant see it happening.. No
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 10:56 pm

I'm not sure about there, but here, you'd better roll or fold your lead, and those hands gotta be up like you're carrying a non stick cookie sheet and don't wanna drop them cookies Laughing . I think those are pics of her halter class.
We have a big stock trailer. I was fitting 9 horses (ok, 2 were foals) in it 2 years ago when we hit the circuit.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 11:37 pm

Triple J Quarter Horses wrote:
Boy, here they would kill you in showmanship for not having your lead with a loop in it. And dropping your hands is death! pale Question do they not band there? I saw on another forum where a lady it doing her best to get roaching the mane back in AQHA Halter, showmanship etc. I cant see it happening.. No

lol I paid for the sms for ring time for my boy, he doesnt pivot or anything... not trained for it. I'm not a big sms gal... I have a $200 sms shirt... but it was also too cold to wear... He's just a baby, so standing square and still, without screaming at an open show is all I cared about. I was focused on training him. Not winning.

$5 a class... I can afford to focus only on training my colt Wink

And the pics of taff. Its an open show, not even a pattern. So Being her second show and she placed both times... can't be to bad. She didn't miss a turn, whilst all the other kids stood there pickin their butts... so regardless if she was holding a platter or not, Im proud Very Happy

And as to banding... For the mare, she's a grade gal and never going big time sms or halter, and is my barrel mare... so I dont ever plan to chop the mane off lol. Dont bother banding... very few do at open shows.

I wanted to band my colts mane, but at last minute decided not to.

My APHA show coming up I will be banding, the whole she-bang... however at an open show, banding or braiding will not make or break you, unless its sms and 2 are very good... then the one who put the extra effort in gets ahead.

Also I was commented on about how my stud colt was runner up. Nice of her to tell me, but I wasn't concerned.. I was ecstatic because of his awesome behaviour. He trusts me so much... LOL also she asked me if he was a chootanooga chu (sp?) baby... (I just remembered the name).

so I know what you mean, but for alyssa, its for fun, and me I was just training... Now when it comes down to barrels on that mare, I mean business Very Happy Laughing
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2008, 8:59 am

How old did you say Tristan is?
At open shows here, there are so many horses without banded or braided manes that it is the norm. And unclipped ears. Most of these horses are turned out all the time. Want lots of bug protection. I do a clean up on my horses ears, but don't clip them right out. I band the ones with short manes, leave the others natural with some shine product in. Not one of my horses is a halter type, I have cow & race breds. We do great, but here the judges look for athletic ability, more like a performance halter class.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2008, 7:42 pm

reiningfan wrote:
How old did you say Tristan is?
At open shows here, there are so many horses without banded or braided manes that it is the norm. And unclipped ears. Most of these horses are turned out all the time. Want lots of bug protection. I do a clean up on my horses ears, but don't clip them right out. I band the ones with short manes, leave the others natural with some shine product in. Not one of my horses is a halter type, I have cow & race breds. We do great, but here the judges look for athletic ability, more like a performance halter class.

Tristan is just a yearling Very Happy, however he was one of the only horses with ears clipped. His mane is done (You'd never know I didnt pull it haha), and everything inbetween... including his white on his lower legs being clipped and his face white... I even quite literally shaved his muzzle...

Wish people here more looked at the performance ability... in comparision to that class he was up against... that would mean he should have won. Oh well, Im not worried about an open show... like I said, his open shows are simply for ring time and training in the ring... which I can't do at home.

Now the scary thing is for the APHA show coming up... I messed up my amateur status... and now am showing open... against the big boys... ***GULP***... and to be completely honest, tristan is more performance type rather than big bulky halter horse... although he is impeccably balanced for his age... LOL im already shaking in my boots! pale
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2008, 7:54 am

He's so much bigger than the 2 yearling fillies we have here. Of course, Penny's dam is 14.1, so what can I expect, right?
How did you screw up your Ammy status?
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2008, 2:54 pm

reiningfan wrote:
He's so much bigger than the 2 yearling fillies we have here. Of course, Penny's dam is 14.1, so what can I expect, right?
How did you screw up your Ammy status?

lol well his dam is 16.2, and his sire 15HH. He's about 14, 14.1 right now, and 14.1, 14.2 at the bum. lol and yep, dallas is probably about 11.1 hand high right now.... lol hence why he's not showing halter haha. They wont place something that little... LOL unless it was somesort of pony class! But he's mostly cow bred too :0)

No worries there. You breed what you breed, and yours are bred to be small on purpose :0)

also it helps that my colt's dam is a TB Very Happy

as for my amateur status... I put on a camp in may with a friend (who did none of the work by the way)... so that pretty much disqualifies me from getting a novice or amateur card... so, Ill be showing with the big boys... and just trying my absolute best.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2008, 3:15 pm

as for my amateur status... I put on a camp in may with a friend (who did none of the work by the way)... so that pretty much disqualifies me from getting a novice or amateur card... so, Ill be showing with the big boys... and just trying my absolute best.

Did you get paid? So your saying your going in open? IF you didnt get paid, then you can go Ammy. If you did get paid... What were you thinking! Very Happy I hate Open when its deep! No
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2008, 3:28 pm

Triple J Quarter Horses wrote:

Did you get paid? So your saying your going in open? IF you didnt get paid, then you can go Ammy. If you did get paid... What were you thinking! Very Happy I hate Open when its deep! No

uh huh... Sad as to what was I thinking? - about getting paid LOL

It was very foolish... but I so forgot about it... 5 years of open... here I come Sad

I doubt ill place, but im still going to go in there, head held high, as if im leading the best damn halter horse in the joint. If I do place... Im probably going to pass out! Laughing

And as to the competition ahead of me... lets put it this way... my first APHA show EVER, now showing open... and in the yearling SPB stallion class, the president of the APHC (Alberta Paint Horse Club) is showing... affraid
Back to top Go down
denibun

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2008, 3:30 pm

affraid And, I'm stressing over taking Rachel to a little aqha show and letting her show novice youth this weekend??!!!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2008, 12:48 am

CHICKEN! geek Crap, I cant find my coggins and health papers on her... Im stressing, Its 12:03 am and Im still up and looking! Sad
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2008, 2:27 am

denibun wrote:
affraid And, I'm stressing over taking Rachel to a little aqha show and letting her show novice youth this weekend??!!!

lol, well I kinda have a crappy hand here... lol of course, mostly by my own fault...

1. Im showing open (THANK GOD my boy is colored!!)
2. Im showing a performance bred colt, in halter
3. Im showing a Yearling (this is his 3rd show)
4. Im showing a yearling STUD, who knows it

On the up side

1. You always gotta try it to know (give it my all, and if I end up short.. I can still say I tried my best)
2. I have trained him well, and he trusts me
3. we will look good, god help us
4. Im getting out there, and trying!

lol im really trying to look on the brighter sides of things... however it is hard, especially when i know its almost certain death... but by god im going to try.

LOL that or my mom shows him next time in ammy! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2008, 2:41 pm

dont sweat the small stuff you have a nice looking colt do the best you can.... as for the ammy stuff is he yours or your mothers? if you are over 18 and he is yours I dont think your mother can show him ammy but Im not sure....
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2008, 7:10 pm

Lynn M. wrote:
dont sweat the small stuff you have a nice looking colt do the best you can.... as for the ammy stuff is he yours or your mothers? if you are over 18 and he is yours I dont think your mother can show him ammy but Im not sure....

Thanks Lynn... Im going to try my best thats for sure.

Just finishing up the clipping this weekend.... lol im so tired as Im on foal watch as well....

But I am over 18 (turn 19 this fall), however, Ill have to look into it... I thought it was APHA that an immediate family member could show my horse... But I will definetly look into it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 shows this weekend!   2 shows this weekend! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2 shows this weekend!
Page 1 of 1