Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How our show went...

Go down 
+5
Bluejay
Triple J Quarter Horses
7cedars
Sip of Rum
SilverBuckleHorses
9 posters
AuthorMessage
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2007-02-08

How our show went... Empty
PostSubject: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2008, 7:48 pm

Well, that was officially the worse show of my life and a complete waste of time and money. To start the day off, we got there early, and the show started one and a half hours late. Ok, strike one. The judge placed all three of my horses last, in every class we went in. We had a little conversation after my last class, she said she just didn't like my horses, I told her that I just didn't like her... I dropped my last two classes because I had no chance in hell of placing, and I wasn't going to waste anymore money. The halter classes were rediculous, they held the two mare classes at the same time and judged them seperately, so one of my grooms had to show Cowgirl, in a dirty t-shirt and jeans. I'm sorry, but when I pay $15.00 a class at a stupid open show, I expect something back out of it, and I will NEVER go and show at this series again. The lady who runs it only hires arab judges but the majority of horses showing there are stock type.... So, they judge by arab standard and the ones who perform properly get booted out. My horses behaved perfectly, and Remmy was awesome under saddle, he did really well overall for his first show. I flat out asked the judge specifically what she didn't like about him and she gave me this:

1) He's too fast (Funny thing, I got lapped by atleast four of the top five horses.)
2) His heads too high. (I asked her where she wanted it, she said she wanted it about six inches from the ground and his nose tucked in, I told her that peanut rollers are out of style.)
3) He had to engagement from behind. (I ride reiners and barrel racers, I know what hind engagement feels like, he definetly had it.)

In the 2 & Over mares class, Cowgirl placed last, you have all seen her, there is no reason in hell she should have placed last in that class, period. But hey, atleast I know to NEVER show under that witch of a judge again.

Sorry for the vent, but I'm still ticked off!
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2007-02-10

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2008, 11:00 pm

aw i'm sorry the judge was a complete idiot! I woulda gave her a piece of my mind if i was there! But it looks like you did. You know you did everything right and your horses are great so don't let it get to you and know youre the best at the next one!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2008, 9:27 am

Here's some tips for ya, from Mommie Dearest... HA!

First off, my dear, find out about your judges, even if it's an open show or breed show, before you go - money wasted is money wasted.

Second, don't argue with the judge, nor make comments - that's unprofessional, and I know you were aggravated, but just let it go. Best thing to realize is, once you go in, and you're judged that way, take your toys and go home - no sense in wasting your time or money.

Third, this is something I do, just to make me feel better after I feel like I've been bamboozled - when you go out of the class, no matter how they judged you, make DANGED sure you say thank you to the judge while you're going out. It's their opinion, they've expressed their opinion, you paid for it. Aggravating, I realize, but always makes me feel better, just to let them know that I'm a better person by thanking them for their opinion, whether I agree or not. You NEVER EVER show your emotions if you lose until you can get to the trailer, close the door and start throwing a fit - NEVER EVER where someone can see or hear you!!!!!

Fourth, it was only one person's opinion - it doesn't matter, you disagree with the judge - okay, so on to the next show. Don't let this get under your skin, if you do, you'll fail before you even go. So don't think about it, just do your thing, the best you can, and go and have fun.

Fifth, always go forward, no matter what just happened. You only get two days to complain about things and feel sorry for yourself; after that, go forward - chin up, shoulders back - go get 'em! This is one thing that will set yourself apart from others - attitude!!!!

And don't think I haven't had something like that happen to me...I have, as almost all of us have, and yep, it's extremely aggravating, but just make a mental note, write it down somewhere, to never show under that judge again - EVER! If that particular show series uses only Arab judges, then don't go - don't waste your money, nor your time.

Chalk it up to a learning curve and go forward.... you'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2008, 11:39 am

I AGREE! I keep a card file in my trailor, What a judges likes and dislikes are. Even down to pleasure, showmenship and horsemanship patterns, What they look for.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2008, 8:36 pm

This is the way a show can go. Shocked Some you win and some you loose. It is a good idea to keep track of the judges who like your horses and stay away from the ones who do not. study Anyone who shows their horses has gone through this. Not fun by any means.. No
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2008, 1:33 pm

agreed 7cedars, its just ONE judges opinion. ive been riding all my life and showing. and i use to have arabs and when i use to be judged by quarter horse judges i would get dead last. but i just said oh well on to the next class. its just a learning experince. asking the judge what you did wrong is fine. but dont talk back to them. doesnt get you ne were. ive been to shows were i wanted to blow up and smack the judge but i went in to my truck and scream.
but let it go and on to the next show flower
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2008, 11:06 am

[quote]1) He's too fast (Funny thing, I got lapped by atleast four of the top five horses.)
2) His heads too high. (I asked her where she wanted it, she said she wanted it about six inches from the ground and his nose tucked in, I told her that peanut rollers are out of style.)
3) He had to engagement from behind. (I ride reiners and barrel racers, I know what hind engagement feels like, he definetly had it.)

IF its an arabian type judge, then why in the world would she not like a higher head???? 6 inches off the ground??? She said that! It has never been legal. Maybe she meant reaching deep with the hocks? Not being hollow backed????

AS 7 Ceders said. If you ask a judge expect an answer. If you dont like it, Then thank them and go on your way. Remember they Talk. You can be cutting your throat for the next show. Just write there name down, put a big red line threw it. Even in open shows you can call and aske who is judging the show, I avoid those, I beat in open shows.. Hee Hee Wink
Back to top Go down
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2008, 11:34 am

I think she probably ment 6inches lower. because his head was higher up.
Back to top Go down
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2008, 11:40 am

Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2008, 12:07 pm

I try to be very careful about what I do at shows, because it's a very small world and people talk. I have several times asked the judge about a placing, and I have never had one who didn't give a very professional, well-thought out observation, even if I didn't agree with it! I can't imagine talking back to them. I just thank them and leave and then cross them off my list if I want to!
Even people you don't know are watching you. I just remember at one of the very first shows my daughter ever went to, seeing a mom walking back to the trailer with her daughter just screaming at her for not placing higher or doing something wrong. I didn't know the girl or mom then and they wouldn't have known me, but since then we have shown against her many times and just seeing that encounter has always influenced the way I feel about those two, even though I've never said anything. People may be witnessing your actions at shows and marking you down as someone to avoid, and you may never even know it LOL!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2008, 12:17 pm

REINING CHICK wrote:
heres a link jolise to the show pictures
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0ONH004D080021&po=21

Darnit, Must be nice, we never see anyone taking pictures, let alone putting them on line, That is really nice. What a show, so many differant breeds there. Seeing them show arabians, Brings back memories, as that is what I started out in. affraid Not a big fan anymore. Loved looking over the pictures, Thank you for sending the link.
Back to top Go down
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2008, 12:45 pm

I LOVE ARABS still to this day. i started out on arabs too. i wouldnt mind owning one. id like a halter one or even a western pleasure arab. we went to the arab show this year for 2 days. man this one halter class the lady won 35k for her halter yearling. BIG money in arabs
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2008, 3:59 pm

A few years ago I went to a small open show where a horse with a ram head, heavy straight shoulder and cow hocks won grand. Most of us were shaking our heads, but it was the judges opinion on that day. I've never seen that horse place before or since, but whatever. That same judge told a friends daughter that she was worried about the kid starting to ride her colt cause his knees were still open. Hello, this is a yearling class, of course she wont be riding it any time soon. The kid told her she didn't plan on starting the colt for another year. I'll never go to a show where this woman judges again. I've never come across her again though, so the word must have gone around. I only have one other judge I wont show under, and it's simply because we don't like one another and I don't trust her to be objective.
I think the card file idea is great. I'm gonna start doing that. Amazing what you can learn on here.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2008, 4:19 pm

great pics... fun to look at (thanks for the link) seemed to be some tough competition there that is for sure! Ive shown many diff. breed circuits and it was neat to see the pics of the arabs you don't see many around here and they sure are pretty to look at. You and your horses looked good chalk it up to a bad day Smile btdt it will probably happen more than you will win in this industry but that is the way the ball bounces keep your chin up and keep up the good efforts it will pay off.
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2008, 3:32 pm

Actually, Cherie, when I asked her about the headset, she said that all of the horses in that class had their heads up too high, she said she likes them really, really low, around six inches off the ground. And honestly, I don't regret disagreeing with her, made me feel better. When I don't place well, I always ask a judge what I can do better next time, I usually get really appropriate feedback that is constructive and I go home and put it to use. The way she talked to me was just flat out rude. God, you guys should have seen the way she placed the stallion / gelding halter class. Reining Chick's trainer has this super nice halter gelding, Arnold. He pretty much wins everything. The judge placed him 3rd. I couldn't believe it! He was the only real halter horse in the class. To top all of this, the photographer and I hit it off at the show and when I emailed her about the pictures of my horses, she said that before the pleasure class, the judge was making rude comments about me to the ring steward, something to do with my weight. But, oh well, I will never show at that series again because it's a waste of my money. And with their consecutive record of being poorly managed, I just don't think it's worth my time. When it comes down to it, I was happy with the way my horses performed, period. And that is what matters when I go to these places.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2008, 9:08 pm

There are many judges who look at the person and not the horse.. I have seen this many times. I have also stood last behind a horses that could not even stand let alone walk. But, the judge liked the shank. This is the polotics and I hate them. That is why I do not go anymore. It is expensive and not worth the time when you have judges out there who do that.. Rolling Eyes No

I have a girl friend in Canada who flirts like hell with them and wears low cut blouses. They love her and she usually wins.. scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2008, 10:31 pm

Jolese, I think you just need to chalk those people and that judge up in the category of "wanna be's"... criminey.

I know one time I was at a show, and a woman judge, in the freaking class, was talking to a couple of participants about what they were going to do after the show, and it was all I could do to hold my tongue. Then when she placed this puke stallino in front of Kid, I kept calm, until she came up to me IN THE CLASS while we were supposed to be walking out, flat said, she didn't like Impressive horses, much less N/H'ers, and I just smiled, he's not N/H, he's N/N. Then she started making other excuses, and I just politely said, uh-huh, thank you and just started walking off, all the time while she's still yapping her jaw... and I'm like, criminey, woman, shut up, will ya, you stated your opinion, don't agree with it, but whatever... let the other class come in!!!! I did one of those "Huh, you're talking to me? Sorry, didn't hear ya." Course then everybody ran up and asked what she was saying... probably the only time I got really aggravated, and just said, "She's a freaking idiot." Rick liked to have had a kniption fit.

Needless to say, I won't go to those shows anymore, nor EVER show under that heifer again! In fact, when they announced the grand stallion, everybody boo'd... that was too funny, and worth every minute of it.

This is the way I figure it, if you've done your homework, got your horse looking the best he can be, and you too, then that's all you can do. You go and you take your chances, and pay for somebody else's opinion. Sometimes they agree, sometimes they don't. But whatever, you paid for it, and that's what you get. I've learned to pick my shows VERY, VERY carefully....

Now, what'll be interesting, since I haven't shown a 3-year old filly in a long long time how that's going to go over this next weekend... ought to prove interesting! I'm just hoping that monster heifer doesn't run over or step on me! GAWD! I can promise you, I won't be as calm as I usually am at this particular open show... I've seen some of those mares there, and I've got to get ready to slit throats and pool blood!!!! Course what'll be funny is to watch Rick and Scamp...

Whatever you do, though, you always be professional, and always, always be above others, and act like you belong there and should be the winner - ALWAYS! You walk in there like you own the place, shoulders back, chin up, eyes narrowed, but be nice - you own it!!! And guess who else will see that attitude? The Judge!!!! And it'll go right through the lead shank straight to your horse! And remember, always remember, just because you're not in the class, doesn't mean the Judge isn't judging you before you even go in the class!!!!
Back to top Go down
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2008, 11:34 am

you can say that she likes the head sets really low because tammys client was told by the judge the horses head was to low. so i dunno why she would say she likes them low.
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2008, 11:54 am

That's just what she told me, but honestly, I don't think she even knows what she likes. Wasn't Tammy's client showing english though?
Back to top Go down
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2008, 2:26 pm

yeah she did english. and she honeslty looked the best out there. marky ( the horse) did aweseome she looked great. the other horses um i dont have much to say about them
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2008, 4:07 pm

It sure is interesting and frustrating to face all the politics, opinions, games etc... that goes along with this industry but face it if we weren't all willing to play to some extent we wouldn't be doing this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How our show went...   How our show went... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How our show went...
Page 1 of 1