Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

color question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

color question Empty
PostSubject: color question   color question Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2008, 12:37 am

ok I have a mare registered brown has produced mostly black and 2 sorrels out of 8 or 9 foals I have the opportunity to breed to a money earning/producing son of Peptoboonsmal for free he is red roan and consistently throwing roans.... what are my color combinations for the foal? Here is a pic of the mare
color question Lady
I would prefer anything other than red roan but sire is red roan....
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

color question Empty
PostSubject: Re: color question   color question Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2008, 12:16 pm

I had a mare that was jet black expect for around her muzzel and flanks. She was registered brown. I bred her to my buckskin and she had a jet black foal.. She was then bred to a black and white paint and had another black foal. I am not the color wiz but it sounds like you could get a blue roan... scratch I would certainly take the chance on a roan.
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2007-02-08

color question Empty
PostSubject: Re: color question   color question Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2008, 4:54 pm

its real hard to tell without tests,,, but if she aint black i'd say she's more a dark bay than brown.

The thing is, with breeding her to black studs, or even bays, buckskins... anything black based, is they *could* be throwing the black. What color is her sire and dam?

Normally a hetero black to red roan (hetero for roan and carrying no agouti) mating would create;

chestnut
red roan,
black
blue roan

hetero black to red roan (hetero roan, hetero agouti)

chestnut
red roan
bay
bay roan
black
blue roan

there is only minor changes to the color outcomes if the mare is genetically bay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

color question Empty
PostSubject: Re: color question   color question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

color question
Page 1 of 1