Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Well, I'm out of the breeding business

Go down 
+2
Bluejay
7cedars
6 posters
AuthorMessage
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Well, I'm out of the breeding business Empty
PostSubject: Well, I'm out of the breeding business   Well, I'm out of the breeding business Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2007, 11:41 am

or at least on my end of things. Lost Red a week or so ago, and sold Cool this week - she's going to New Jersey, to the proud owner of the Congress and World Champion 3-year old stallion. Can't wait to see that mix!

I'm tired of breeding, tired of having those suicidal babies, just flat tired. Want to focus on showing Scamp and Jazz this next year, maybe after a year or two, I'll get back in it, but a little different, but we'll see. I always feel a little sad when I decide to change up things a bit, but it's time.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Well, I'm out of the breeding business   Well, I'm out of the breeding business Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2007, 6:36 pm

Good time to take some time off.. You can sit back and re evaluate what you are doing. Then decide if you want to go back or just lay low for a few years.. My plan is to just breed a few of my paint mares and sit back.. If the market does not pick up I am going to get out all together. study coffee
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Well, I'm out of the breeding business   Well, I'm out of the breeding business Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2007, 9:31 am

I think it's time. Course Rick was throwing a wall-eyed fit that we weren't going to have any babies after... so many years - we had to sit down and figure out how long we've been having babies - more years than I care to remember!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Well, I'm out of the breeding business   Well, I'm out of the breeding business Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2007, 10:22 am

Getting out of horses, NO WAY! Blue Jay, Not this Girl. No Nope Nope.
Shelia, we have talked about this, IF it hadnt been for the KY thing, I would have been down to one Mare a Year to breed. But we have 2. Selling my Pally colt, hes either on his way to Oregon, Mexico or Florida. Just depends on whos money get s here first! My Ky Incentive fund colt is going to Auction Jan. Leaves me this Kirts gelding my 2 mares in foal and Gi Gi. Shes at a trainer now. My Play toy for the summer, Im tired of not getting to show. I AM GOING TO SHOW THIS SUMMER. I dont care if the prices do get to 4.00 a gallon, Its what I enjoy and sooner or later you have to decide to enjoy yourself and not just work! Shelia and I have talked about this, If I have to I will shift gears not Do AQHA and Do open to make money to pay for or help pay for the expense.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Well, I'm out of the breeding business   Well, I'm out of the breeding business Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2007, 8:38 am

I agree. I'm tired of fighting trying to get good money for the babies, arguing with broodmares. And yep, I'm just going to show this next year - ought to be a lot funner. I'll probably stick to open shows close by, unless I think I can do real good at a quarter show - no need to waste money for no reason.

Plus Trent will start college next Fall; hopefully on the rodeo team; Dillon will be a senior and on varsity football, and I'm resigned to the fact that during football, my life is football, I just hope they don't have Trent's rodeos the same blasted night!!!!

If I buy anything, it'll be COWS!!!!!
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Well, I'm out of the breeding business   Well, I'm out of the breeding business Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2007, 3:14 pm

I'm starting to feel alot the same. I've finally decided to get rid of the running breds. Something I've said I was gonna do, but never happened. Too many of my mares ended up open this year, then the thing with Pep leaving, I'm ready to just work with the ones I have. I love the babies, but for what prices are like now, it's not worth it financially. Doing it for the love of doing it is ok, but then Wade starts complaining about how much hay and oats I feed. Can't say as how I'd ever get rid of my horses completely, just can't see that happening, but we have 27 head right now. Of course, I have Brennen who wants to start raising more babies. He's really upset. His buckskin mare lost her foal. She checked positive, but she went back into heat, so we checked her again and definately open. I've seen mares tease studs almost right till they foal, but unfortuneately, not the case this time.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Well, I'm out of the breeding business   Well, I'm out of the breeding business Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2007, 3:55 pm

If you have children, Keep them in horses, they stay out of trouble that way, at least you have a better shot at it.

My kids as long as they were involed they did great, my daughter went to live with my X And boy was that a mistake! He made a big Mistake, all he wanted was not to pay the child support. IDIOT.. Didnt want to be a parent, just cheep! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
SuperLope

SuperLope

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Well, I'm out of the breeding business   Well, I'm out of the breeding business Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2007, 5:54 pm

I totally understand where you guys are coming from -- what with everyone running off to Kentucky (Triple J you were there first! hehe)

the market stinks, and QH shows are too expensive

But I'm glad you guys are sticking to horses and raising the ones you have right!

*hugs* for all you dedicated ladies!
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

PostSubject: Re: Well, I'm out of the breeding business   Well, I'm out of the breeding business Icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2007, 12:57 pm

Brennen thought that when I said I was getting rid of all the race breds, that I'd be selling Vamp. Vamp is the mare we use for speed events. She runs 2-D times with no practise and very little hauling. When we showed, she was one of the top 5 horses in both PeeWee and Senior age divisions on our circuit. Thats for barrels and poles, we don't show her in any other classes.
Poor kid thought I was gonna get rid of her and was pretty upset. So I told him I'd keep her for him to show (not that we'd probably have gotten rid of her anyhow). I also use her for ponying other horses, leading trail rides, checking fence, etc. She's probably the most useful horse on our place. 4-H kids tend to end up on her when their horses are not safe enough, or they just don't have one yet.
But if anyone knows of someone looking for a barrel prospect, send them my way.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Well, I'm out of the breeding business   Well, I'm out of the breeding business Icon_minitimeDecember 12th 2007, 9:27 am

I think slimming down wouldn't hurt ya. I think now when I had 40 plus head, and how in the world did I do it? Well, for one thing, alfalfa wasn't freaking $11 a bale, and coastal wasn't $9 a bale - and I used to complain about paying $4 a bale for alfalfa in the barn... GAWD, those were the days!

I think if you give Brennan one to ride, one that he can break out later, and then start slimming down, it'd be better. I know the one thing that concerns me more than anything is finding a good home, but still getting a halfway decent price for the horses. When I was still doing paints, I can't tell you how many of those blasted breeding stock colts I gave away!

But I agree, time to start slimming down, maybe make some package deals to ensure they go to good homes.
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Well, I'm out of the breeding business   Well, I'm out of the breeding business Icon_minitimeDecember 12th 2007, 10:53 am

Thats what I'm doing - cleaning the barn out....before spring Very Happy
Its ugly though...
Trying to cut back is like selling children...ugh...oh well, it must be done! Onward and upward!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
reiningfan

reiningfan

PostSubject: Re: Well, I'm out of the breeding business   Well, I'm out of the breeding business Icon_minitimeDecember 12th 2007, 6:53 pm

Yeah, we are definately slimming down. Got a yearling and weanling sold, but they are still living here. I've decided to get rid of 3 mares, at least one of the geldings. I'm gonna keep 2 yearlings, 1 weanling filly, plus the red roan weanling Brennen bought. Then we'll have 4 mares, one of which we might just use to show. And we have an offer on our shetland. The woman is "making room" for him. So if I could sell all the horses I'd like to, we'd be down to 1 pony, 4 mares, 2 studs, 2 yearlings, 2 weanlings and 2 geldings. I'd also like to get rid of 1 stud, but we'll see how things go with Pep.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Well, I'm out of the breeding business   Well, I'm out of the breeding business Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2007, 9:32 am

I hear ya, guys. It's rough selling 'em, especially when you're changing what you're going to be doing. I've noticed though, every time I sell and buy another, they keep getting better and better. Quality is much better than quantity - trust me!

I'm also of the opinion if they can't make money, one way or another, then they need to be gone. Whether it be a mare, a stud, a gelding, or whatever. Figuring how much each costs you to feed versus what you can sell one for later sometimes blows the mind, but sometimes you've just got to do whatcha gotta do.

Truthfully, I'm getting just a little bit irritated with a gelding sitting out there eating and nobody's riding it, fiddling with it or anything. Kinda figured that was going to happen - I'll give them the benefit of the doubt till spring... if it doesn't change, he'll be hunting for a new home, and when they gripe that they don't have anything to ride... oh, well.

Plus, I'm in a big way wanting to get a lot of things paid off!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well, I'm out of the breeding business   Well, I'm out of the breeding business Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Well, I'm out of the breeding business
Page 1 of 1