Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Ride...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2007-02-08

My Ride... Empty
PostSubject: My Ride...   My Ride... Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2007, 3:09 pm

I took my little Nardy (the blue roan three year old filly) out today for the first time. My really good friend is a trainer up at a big cutting barn not far from here and I really just wanted Nardy to get out and get some experience. Well, she hadn't been loaded in forever and walked right into the trailer this morning like she'd been doing it her whole life, I was so proud. We get there, and I can tell she's a little nervous, just kind of looking around at everything, but didn't spook ONCE. Took her in the round corral to let her blow off some steam at a new place, and she showed a lot of interest in everything and really just looked around a bunch before I took her back out to the warm up arena and worked her, this was probably the third time she's ever been cantered, and the first time out of a round corral, and she was perfect, did some really nice circles and she was real smooth and collected, very level headed and just felt really good. I actually got a lot of compliments on her stop too, which is just awesome, this girl is going to slide all over the place. Well, we're all done warming up, so we go into the cutting pen and bring a buffalo in, Nardy sees it, and get this, SHE GOES AFTER IT. She followed this thing everywhere, it was the coolest thing ever and I was so excited because I've always wanted to do something along the lines of reined cowhorse with her, and my little non-cow bred horse is following this buffalo like she's done it forever, without my instruction. So it was going really well, but this was also her first time riding in sand and she was a little clumsy, and it got us kind of in trouble... So here we are, chasing this buffalo, and it darts across the pen, and Nardy goes after it at a gallop (never galloped her before, lol) and all of a sudden she trips and goes down on her front end, I mean, total dive and I tried to pull her back up but just couldn't, so she finally hit the ground so hard that I did a front flip over her side. (Which is actually, I'm sure, kind of funny looking, but I scared the crap out of my friend, she couldn't believe I got right back up.) Sucky thing is I kind of hit my right knee along the way, and it doesn't feel good, and I hit the inside of my left leg on the saddle horn when I went flying, so that's another purdy bruise... But, I went and switch bridles (one rein was broke) after checking her out to make sure she was ok, and I chased another buffalo on her for a few minutes, just to let her know it was ok and to make sure her confidence was ok. She went right back to chasing it too, lol. It was really sad though, because when she went down, she was trying so hard to catch herself, and the whole time she was so woried about not stepping on me when I hit the ground, and when I got back on her, she was super careful where she put her feet, and I just don't think I've ever felt this connected to a horse. When I'm on her, I know she tries to think about me, and to please me. She's honest to goodness the best 3YO I've ever had, and I love her to pieces. I wish I could have 20 more just like her, lol. But all of Remmy's babies are like that, but Remmy is TERRIFIED of cattle, period, cows scare him to death, lol. I just thought I'd share, I'll take pictures of my bruises later, lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

My Ride... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Ride...   My Ride... Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2007, 3:16 pm

Aren't those buffalo a trip? They can go on and on but when they get tired they can ruin a horse fast watch out for them if they are tired out they will charge and then there is no getting away from one of those buggers. Hope you feel better and forget the bruise post a pic of the horse Laughing LOL
Back to top Go down
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-02-12

My Ride... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Ride...   My Ride... Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2007, 6:01 pm

Thats awesome Nikki!! i want to turn star out with some cows to see how she does with them. cows with out horns of course LOL. im wondering if she try to cutt them LOL. ive gotta find someone.
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

My Ride... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Ride...   My Ride... Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2007, 8:34 pm

Yeah, they really are neat Lynn. I think they just work so much better than cows, and you can use them for much longer (I mean as in years too) than cows. Not to mention, I really don't like cows, lol. Yeah, they can be agressive after a long work out, but the general rule of thumb is that you can work them until their tounge hangs out, then put them up and leave them alone. Physically, you can work them for about 45 min. after the tounge hangs out, but they just get kind of rude and dull. I sure do love watching those cutters though. I was really sad that I sold Missy, but I knew I wasn't going to have the money to put her in the training like she needed, so now I have Nardy to put 100% in. I'm just really pyched, lol. Cherie, I sure think it would be neat for lil miss star to cut a cow, can't wait to see her over the next few years... Lynn, I'm getting pictures of the horse and the bruises tomorrow, lol, maybe tonight if I feel up to it. Feel kinda like I was in a car wreck now lol.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

My Ride... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Ride...   My Ride... Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2007, 8:57 pm

HUM scratch I am not sure why anyone would want to run an animal until it's tongue was hanging out. scratch

I love all animals. I had a fit when my lab snatched up a baby bird on the ground.. I feel no human has the right to treat animals that way just so they can have fun.. No

No hate mail. This is how I feel and I am just sharing my feelings about this. I do not like much of the natural nature stuff either. At least that is nature and not humans. I do not have a double standard that allows me to make others misserable so I can have a little fun. This is not pointed at anyone.. Just what I have observed in my life travels.. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

My Ride... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Ride...   My Ride... Icon_minitimeAugust 15th 2007, 12:29 pm

Bluejay, I'm not really sure if you've ever been around buffalo or not, but they're super hardy little buggers. When I say you can work them until their tounges hang out, I don't mean that as in running them in the ground. It's a sign you look for, because they don't really sweat or show signs of weakness like a horse or a cow, which will slow down and look lethargic. This is just a buffalo trait, doesn't mean they're hurting, just means they're starting to get tired, and that it's time to put them away. Honestly, you work about two horses to one buffalo, which at most, is 10 minutes total, the saying about working them until their tounges hang out is just a rule of thumb, it's not animal abuse, just a sign to look for to show that they're getting tired... It's not even close to being the same as working a horse till their tounge hangs out, because buffalo are totally different animals when compared to horses and cows. Their stamina is amazing. You should see what the buffalo do in their turn out, sometimes those suckers will just run themselves all over the place, it's just how they are Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

My Ride... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Ride...   My Ride... Icon_minitimeAugust 15th 2007, 4:39 pm

Good explaination I couldn't figure out how to word it w/o it sounding kind of .... they are amazing animals and they are very interesting and don't put up with any crap when they are done they are done and won't do any more. If they are pushed at all they will damage a horse so it is very important to understand a buffalo before you even try to work with one.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

My Ride... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Ride...   My Ride... Icon_minitimeAugust 15th 2007, 8:54 pm

lol! Since you do not really know me I would like to tell you that we raise beef. Yes, for those yummy steaks and all that other good food you get from them. I cannot bear the killing thing so I leave.. I just cannot handle it. Lonnie tells me I am no farmer.. Then, I play this little game in my mind that they just went away and I have a freezer full of wonderful grain fed beef.. Laughing

Keep in mind I am one of those emotional people who can cry at the drop of a hat. I don't though.. I did today when I looked at that YouTUbe on that darling little girl and what she went through.. I am also the one cheering for the bull in the bull riders stuff.. Bulls were not meant to be ridden and anyone dumb enough to get on one deserves their A$$ kicked.. I don't like team roping either.. I like the run and the toss of the rope. I just do not like the healing and pulling on that little bugger.. No

I am also a person who loves animals more then people.. You would never see me killing a rat (no I hate them too) I love you

I also cried when I read about the babies you both lost. Bless their little hearts.. I know the pain as I have lost one too.. It really breaks your heart.. And just a note, I do not eat Buffalo there are too dry.. doggie

Glad you explained to me that you are not running the hell out of them.. Dancing I do know people like to use them since they have more stamina than a steer.. And, if they get ya remember I always cheer for the animal.. cheering
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Sponsored content

My Ride... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Ride...   My Ride... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Ride...
Page 1 of 1