Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Strangles? Need help asap

Go down 
+5
SuperLope
Triple J Quarter Horses
chinquapinryder
7cedars
Sip of Rum
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Strangles? Need help asap Empty
PostSubject: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2007, 5:40 pm

Ok we signed up to go to this clinic next Saturday and I got an email back today that said this:

I would like to inform all of you of an issue that we have been dealing
with here at UMC, that you should keep in mind as the approaching 4-H
and FFA'er clinics approach.

In December we had Strangles come into our barn and we are still
battling with the effects. We have had minor complications including
slight swelling and runny coughing to pus pockets in their lymph nodes
to a single case of secondary infection in only one horse in the
facility.

Please take into consideration as to whether you would like to have your
horses newly vaccinated before coming onto the facility and also that
once you leave, keep in mind the responsible care to be taken to prevent
further spread to other facilities. If you do not vaccinate your horses,
you will accept the possibility that your horse/horses may contract
Strangles.

If you have any further questions about the bacterial infection
Strangles, please check out this website:
http://www.countryviewvets.com/equine_info28.htm

Please inform me as soon as possible if your registration decisions have
changed. I apologize on behalf of UMC for any inconvenience this may
cause you, and I hope to see you all at the clinics on the pre-arranged
dates.

If you feel that you have received this email in error please contact
me, so as to clear any confusion in my records.

Thank you and have a great day!

my question is, I don't remember what we had our horses vacinated with, it was like a whole deal of like 6 shots, would that have been one of them? Also it was last spring, would it still work? I need to know SOON if i can go or not.

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2007, 5:47 pm

Nope, you're not covered. Strangles is normally done up the nose - one of those where the vets tell you stand back, literally. The only other place they'll usually give it is in the chest, because that sucker will make a horse swell.

That is one shot, when I'm showing heavy, that I give to my horses twice a year!

I'd call your vet to see if you can get this nasal thing, or if he has it, and see how long before it will actually work.

I had a horse one time with strangles, and it isn't fun - just flat nasty, and a lot of the horses can get infected - didn't with me, but she got it.
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2007, 5:53 pm

Ok, well I probably won't go then cause its not a huge deal, its a gaming clinic and I'm not really into that yet anyways it was more for my sister, and its really hard to get the vet out here that soon unless its really an emergency cause he's always packed... thanks!
Back to top Go down
chinquapinryder

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2007, 10:17 pm

I wouldn't go I worked at a farm during a strangles outbreak we had a new horse bring it in. We lost a prized retired( breeding) stallion, retired broodmare, and 2 promising yearling not to mention better then half our show season and a lot of stress and worry.

I would say even if you get the shot it takes time for it to take effect. It would not be a great idea. According to my vet unless they have been like 4-6 weeks without ANY symptoms they should be in total self-imposed quarentine.

We had to go through huge procedures when we left work before we went anywhere near our own animals.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2007, 12:38 am

(Strangles is normally done up the nose) Is right. But I have had bad experiences with it, Like they contracted them from the nose spray...
I give the shot in the upper hip area. Helps Hide the swelling. If there is any. Stand off to the side you might want to use a twitch.

If you decide to go, Take a Sprayer with you, before you unload you horse, mix 1 part of bleach to 8 parts of water. Spray the heck out of the walls, the ground and anything he/she will touch with their nose.
The bleach will kill the germ as soon as it is touched. Give Rhino again as well.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2007, 12:40 am

You can order the shots.

You should learn to give your own. Get to it and practice sticking a orange. pale
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2007, 9:25 am

Okay, I'll give shots, but I'm not sticking that mess up their nose...one of my vets does it so danged quick, you have to really watch him just to be able to see it.

Long time ago, had a guy that wanted me to get a filly ready for a sale, she had strangles. Got her out of there quickly. A year later, after I'd scrubbed that stall down, my filly got it, and I'm telling you, that is just about the most nastiest mess I've ever seen.

One of my friend's studs got rhino from being at a show.
Back to top Go down
B1

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2007, 11:25 am

Sip of Rum wrote:
Ok, well I probably won't go then cause its not a huge deal, its a gaming clinic and I'm not really into that yet anyways it was more for my sister, and its really hard to get the vet out here that soon unless its really an emergency cause he's always packed... thanks!

Definitely don't go - strangles is a NASTY NASTY mess and a very high percentage of farms that have an outbreak with have another outbreak within 5 years. Stay as far away from that place and any horse/person who has been there - you do NOT want to risk getting strangles.
Back to top Go down
SuperLope

SuperLope

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2007, 6:12 pm

There's a farm here in town that has been dealing with strangyls for like 4 years now I swear they can't get any new boarders but the ones there can't leave Shocked they have lost a few foals and it's just not worth it if you don't have to go I wouldn't!
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2007, 6:57 pm

Ok so should I not go there this year at all? I'm going to get the shot for the horses this spring when the vet comes out because I know some of the horses that go to the clinic will probably be at the shows around here, and then I would be on the safe side.
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2007, 7:19 pm

Also, make sure to get their boosters for it. We had it at a barn I was
boarding at and it spread like wildfire because of the community water
tank in the pasture. I got lucky, my horses are vaccinated to the hilt
because they travel so much. Again, once you get it, get the boosters
throughout the year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2007, 11:52 pm

No No No No No No affraid affraid
Not worth it and do not go anywhere near the place with your horse.. Too contagous and your horse can then expose others.. Think of the Vet bills and the possible death of your horse.. Really is that serious...
affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid No No
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
jools

Number of posts : 168

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2007, 6:33 am

Like a Star @ heaven I love you Like a Star @ heaven RIGHT ON BLUEJAY affraid
This side of the pond we are T.E.R.R.I.F.I.E.D. of the 'S' word No Sad Grown women can be seen huddling in corners or prostrate on the ground pale silent Foaming at the mouth What a Face In a state of T.O.T.A.L. PANIC pale pale pale MAYHEM ENSUES COUNTYWIDE affraid

albino DO NOT TAKE ANY SUCH RISK albino

It is supposed to live(dormant) for 7 years pale in a host carrier OR soil affraid Being at a low ebb or greulling training programme Suspect can allow a horse to contract it as if 'FROM NOWHERE' Suspect No
Hope I've scared you some IT WAS MY INTENT What a Face
Our side of the pond it is a 'notifiable disease' albino All outbreaks HAVE to be reported & QUARANTEENED pale No
I am STUNNED the event is going ahead rabbit In their defense the quaranteen peroid may be over & they are being EXTRA cautious & warning everyone that 'IT HAS BEEN' Sad
SURE HOPE SO confused
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2007, 7:10 pm

Yeah I'm definatly not going. I think the quarantine is over because my sister went there for FFA like a month or so ago, they had it then, they couldn't touch any horses or anything but they had to do horse judging so they had many horses in the arena together at one time. I think the one email said there was only one horse who has it, but still it can be bad.

Also, are you guys saying not to go there at all this year?
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2007, 10:38 pm

Dancing Glad you are not going.. Really is a HUGE thing and you do not want to be attached to it... Even if only one horse in the barn has it they should not be inviting anyone in for anything. Just way to risky. And, the horses that have been there can take it to other barns.. Arrow No affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
MrFlashyPasser

MrFlashyPasser

Number of posts : 8

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2007, 12:40 am

I agree I wouldn't go there either. I was at a barn three years ago that had it and it spread mostly because of the stupid girls running the barn. They saw a horse was very sick and just put her in my Paint's barn and then found out she had strangles. All the horses in that barn got it except one that already had it a previous year. My Paint got it last of the original horses and I lucked out he only had a small cough and one abccess under his jaw. Later, while he still had it they brought new horses in and they of course promptly got strangles too. They were told by the vet to disinfect the place with bleach, but they didn't bother since none of the horses were theirs. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://silvercharm.digitalphotochat.com/gallery
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2007, 2:31 pm

OMG thats horrible!! I'm sure these people have disinfected everything, they have a wonderful facility (of course because its the Univeristy) but yeah I'm not going to take the chance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strangles? Need help asap   Strangles? Need help asap Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strangles? Need help asap
Page 1 of 1