Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

this is odd..

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
standbytrucker

standbytrucker

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2007-02-22

this is odd.. Empty
PostSubject: this is odd..   this is odd.. Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2007, 5:33 pm

okay, so my moms two yearling mares were just recently moved into my barn.
they are now turned out 24/7 in our large 4 acre field.
They are just out being horses, since they have been show horses since they were weaned.
I approached my smallest mare today, and noticed that under her left side of her chest, where her leg meets her body, was a large swollen lump.

investigating it more, it was not hot, did not hurt her, and was not filled with liquid.
there was a small scratch on it.
its not snakes, and its not a bug sting,
but im wondering, if any one has any ideas?

i did notice her picking up her hind leg, swiping it at flys, do you think she is hitting herself?

im confused!! Question Question
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2007-04-02

this is odd.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: this is odd..   this is odd.. Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2007, 6:29 pm

It sounds like a hematoma...Someone may have kicked her.

I'd check out the scratch really careful....The lump and the surrounding area too. It could be caused by a sliver. When my colt's mom was about 3yrs old, she got to running around the pasture and jammed a piece of sagebrush under her skin near her hock. Just by luck, it didn't go into the muscle, but slid up under the skin, about 7 inches.

Maybe I'm obsessive....But PF also shows up like that.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

this is odd.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: this is odd..   this is odd.. Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2007, 10:07 pm

Well, it sounds like bug bites.. I have horses who are thinned skinned and the bugs can really get at them.. If these horses have been in and not around all those flying things out there that can bite you it is likely a biting fly..

Also, how big is it? I have seen hematomas from getting kicked too. They usually look like a sloppy bump.. Kinda jiggly.. study

I would make sure I get some good bug spray on them and fly masks. If these yearlings have been in the barn and show horses the eliments can be hard on them.. alien

Show horses are premadonna's. Make sure you get the West Nile updated. Keep us posted.. study
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

this is odd.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: this is odd..   this is odd.. Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2007, 11:10 pm

Im with Ragdoll on this are you sure there isn't any way that she got a sliver in there? Sounds like what I have seen in those cases with our nasty thorn trees around here...
Back to top Go down
standbytrucker

standbytrucker

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2007-02-22

this is odd.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: this is odd..   this is odd.. Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2007, 12:04 pm

we do have briars...

it seems to have gone down a bit today. im going to pull her into the barn and hose it, and see if there is anything stuck in it..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

this is odd.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: this is odd..   this is odd.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

this is odd..
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: Veterinary Station-
Jump to: