Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cut heel

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
chinquapinryder

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Cut heel Empty
PostSubject: Cut heel   Cut heel Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2007, 10:30 am

bounce ( Going out of my mind) SO I have just listed my mare for sale and I go out thursday to ride her and continue to get her back into show condition and she has sliced the back of her heel open, should I take her off line until it heals and put of trying to sell her. She is not really lame but there is a definite difference in her motion because it pulls on the cut when she moves around she is already better but.

Also what does everyone do to treat wounds to the legs?
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Cut heel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut heel   Cut heel Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2007, 6:54 pm

clean 2 xs a day with soap and water with a little bit of chlorhexidine in the soapy water then no goopy stuff it attracts dirt and makes it stick in the wound also keeps it moist and promotes proud flesh if you do this you will heal fast and should have little scaring... I leave it open to air no drsg as long as they aren't in a muddy pen.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Cut heel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut heel   Cut heel Icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2007, 10:14 am

Gees, they are so hard to heal up. I hate them. Baby Diapers and Duck Tape is the cheapest way to wrap. If you are stalling her, Stall her on Straw. Its cleaner and doesn't stick to the wound. Keep her out of the dirt.
Back to top Go down
CatB

CatB

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Cut heel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut heel   Cut heel Icon_minitimeMay 4th 2007, 4:41 pm

One of mine got a nasty slice in the bulb, which eventually healed, only to be reopened 8 months later. It woudn't heal back, the vet cut a portion off and plaster casted it (which lasted a whole 10 days before it started sliding around and I had to remove it Rolling Eyes). Still wasn't healed, so I bought some of this stuff and it started healing the second day.

http://www.equaide.com/

Expensive for the amount you get, but I swear by the stuff!
Back to top Go down
chinquapinryder

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Cut heel Empty
PostSubject: UPdate   Cut heel Icon_minitimeMay 5th 2007, 8:05 pm

still wrapping now down to once a day changing. We are using the really big feminine pads I swear by them I also have diapers. But I find the femine pads to be less expensive. I use them for everything including abcesses. I never thought of straw She ahs only gone out twice this week in my dirt pen and that was with it wrapped and then a bell boot over the wrap to prevent her from catching it is looking a little better the farrier is coming out maybe next week to put shoes on my gelding, I am thinking of having him take a peak. Not terribly happy with the way the skin is pulling back together but much of the yellow pus has stopped running still running some though.

We had some really bad days with that. I can post pics of it if that would help anyone. But it is definitely very frustrating because she is trying so hard to be good about all this and she has learned to rest her leg on mine so that I can bandage it easier while she is loose in her stall or even groundtied in my alley. She is trying so hard but you can tell it still bothers her some.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cut heel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut heel   Cut heel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cut heel
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: Veterinary Station-
Jump to: