Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Marketing ???s

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Marketing ???s Empty
PostSubject: Marketing ???s   Marketing ???s Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2007, 11:25 am

Okey Dokey...
I have a few questions for all of you stallion and mare owners out there Very Happy

I am going to try to market a stallion for 2008. It is the little guy I posted pics of in the Stallion Alley - He is race bred but personally I think he could produce Race/Barrels/Rope/etc...

My plan is to have a brochure ready by September so we get his name out there.

Also, what size of book do you think would be reasonable? I was thinking that I could handle 20-25 mares. I know that HE could handle more mares, but I'm thinking that I should keep this book pretty small.

Here is the thing...WHERE should I market him...he is somewhat a tough sale because he is live cover only right now.

I was thinking Speedhorse Magazine Stallion edition for starters. Not sure about any barrel magazines? Or other places to market? I'm going to try to get his owners to approve getting him Accredited Tx Bred and some other things. Also thinking about standing him for a farm fee only to approved mares.

He is royally bred and a cutie to boot...Suggestions are more than welcome!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Marketing ???s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing ???s   Marketing ???s Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2007, 11:31 am

20-25 mares is okay for live cover... I've done over 30.

Here's the biggest problem I get into... a SAFE place to keep those heifers and their babies. What you think is safe, sometimes isn't. So figure at least 5-7 safe pens for mares and babies.

I'm sure you guys have got the Thrifty Nickel down there... utilize it, and lots of brochures at all your local feed stores - you'd be surprised on that.

And good luck with all the idgits! GAWD, they will drive you insane!
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Marketing ???s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing ???s   Marketing ???s Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2007, 11:35 am

Hehehe...we have plenty of paddocks...
The glories of having the stallion AT a TB farm...
They are used to mares coming in and going out all the time!

Fortunately I have the place figured out, I am just on my own with marketing the little guy...and by golly, I want him out there! I just want a proposal before I go to the farm owner (she will say yes, I just want everything together) and then I'll take that to the stallion owner (who will be THRILLED that someone likes her boy)...I just want all of my happy little ducks in a row!!!

And - I have NO desire to stand to the 100+ books that the TB studs there do sometimes - toooooo much work for me!

I just want to get some experience...
Back to top Go down
Kate and Paint

Number of posts : 197

Marketing ???s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing ???s   Marketing ???s Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2007, 11:39 am

I guess since he is a first-time stud it would be smart to offer him to other owners around your area. Or if your offering him to local people, it would also be good to see what he produces so you can give people an idea of what they could get out of him. It would be easy for now to maybe market him on a website or hand out brochures around your area. I guess I dont have too many ideas. If he only does live cover, and he produces nice colts, you might get people who want to send mares to him from farther away.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/all_texas_cowgirl
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

Marketing ???s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing ???s   Marketing ???s Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2007, 11:48 am

I agree on the fact that your biggest bet is local clients, atleast for his first year or two. That means covering bulletin boards in your state with flyers. You need to pick the most publicized way to advertise him online too. For your barrel racing needs, I would go with www.barrelhorses.com They have a giant client base, they are affordable and you're going to get a lot of exposure. As far as roping goes, I would ask Lynn where she advertises her boy, I know she can reccomend something. The only thing I can say, especially for a new stallion, be careful what you breed too. Bad mares make bad babies and bad babies make bad reputations. Offering a discounted / free breeding to mares who are proven as broodmares or performers is also a good start. You want the babies to get out there, that is your best means of advertising, and people who have shown their mares are going to show their babies too. All I can do right now, need to go take some exams today so I'll think of some other things as the day goes on lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Marketing ???s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing ???s   Marketing ???s Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2007, 12:29 pm

I am thinking local for the most part - he is bred really well though and we might be able to put one of his yearlings in race training next year.

He has 3 foals (all yearlings) - he did not breed any mares in 2006.
1 - Colt - AQHA - Race bred - dam had a AAA si and produced a stakes winner
2 - Colt - AQHA - Barrel bred - dam is a good barrel pony and baby will be campaigned
3 - not sure if its colt or filly - APHA - barrel bred - will be trained on barrels

The plan is to stand him for $750 (250 booking fee that will apply to stud fee, 1st breeding included in stud fee after that there is a $250 farm fee) LFG.
Considerations would be given to mares with proven production/preformance records. Also give a discount to all mares booked before January 1st.
Breeding dates 2/15 through 6/30.

I am going to try to get him legged up a little before we take pics.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

Marketing ???s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing ???s   Marketing ???s Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2007, 1:19 pm

Stupid question... what's the $250 farm fee, is that part of the 750 and goes to the barn owner?

I'm confused....I need more coffee!
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Marketing ???s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing ???s   Marketing ???s Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2007, 1:28 pm

The $250 farm fee is a fee that goes to the farm in the event that the mare does not take on the first breeding.

You get one breeding with the $750 - if that does not stick there is a $250 farm fee. I'm doing that for a few reasons:
1) Every farm I've ever dealt with has that in the contract
2) Hopefully it will result in mare owners making sure their mares are clean before getting them to us (culture/etc)

It also helps financially because if we are having to breed the same mare 5 times...that isn't good for us...usually if a cost is associated, people pay more attention as to when to do what...
We will tease before we breed and there is a vet that is at the farm daily so we can do whatever the mare owner wants.
Back to top Go down
LovingLoping

Number of posts : 115

Marketing ???s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing ???s   Marketing ???s Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2007, 3:55 pm

You might try an ad in the Southwest Horse Trader magazine...that big newspaper-ish one that's in like, every feed store in Texas. Or the Horse Gazette. Both have annual stallion issues, and it's the first place I'd look for a local stud.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Marketing ???s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing ???s   Marketing ???s Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marketing ???s
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: General Off Topic Discussions-
Jump to: