Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Just got back from the hospital with Trent

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Just got back from the hospital with Trent Empty
PostSubject: Just got back from the hospital with Trent   Just got back from the hospital with Trent Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 6:06 pm

Had another attack of kidney stones. I swear! Now, this is during TAKS day! Thank GAWD, it was the last of it. Said he started at about 8:30, and he couldn't stand it anymore, apparently passed one, and I got a crying call to come get me, Mom, at about 12:30. I'm putting on clothes, phone rings again, and it's the school office... Sheila, is it okay if Amber (his girlfriend) brings him home, her mom's already called and said it would be all right... sure, I'll be ready.

Never fails, as soon as we get to the hospital, he quits hurting, but they went ahead and gave him a CT Scan, and he still has one, but it's a small one.

We had another talk about drinking tons of water, which I know he does, but also tons and tons of cranberry juice. He was starving, begging me to go and get him something to eat, but he couldn't in case they had to give him drugs till they got the results of the CT Scan. Finally at 3:30, we were out of there. Told him next time, we have the Vicodin, he can come home and hurt for 4 1/2 hours and then I'd take him. That's 4 times so far to the hospital since his freshman year. It's in Rick's family real bad, unfortunately!

Now, the vet ought to be here in a minute, so off to my other job!

GAWD!
Back to top Go down
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from the hospital with Trent   Just got back from the hospital with Trent Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 6:32 pm

Oh wow, I know that has got to be some unbearable pain. I had a friend whos little brother would get them quite often. He drank water like Trent, all the time, and they just kept coming back.

He had to have surgery in the end.

Glad your son passed it before they started hollering surgery. Are they giving im anything to help break it up, or are they pumping him full of the cranberry juice you mentioned?

Hope he feels better, and hopefully they stay away.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from the hospital with Trent   Just got back from the hospital with Trent Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 7:24 pm

you know if they send the stone for analysis then you would know what he needs to avoid as far as diet etc.... if there is something he can do to avoid it... ie:less pop that is usually the problem.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from the hospital with Trent   Just got back from the hospital with Trent Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 8:07 pm

You know, Lynn, I was hoping you'd respond. I swear these back-woods suckers irritate me... I can't tell you how many times he's been to a uriologist, had tons of tests done, but still nobody's even said a word about that! Dadgummit! They also said they were going to give us a screen, and I just now thought about it when I saw your post - they didn't! I could've sent it off or taken it back to get sent off.

I stay on 'em pretty hard about cokes, Dr. Pepper's, etc... that mess is not allowed in my house whatsoever... but I know he's drinking other times. There's not one specific thing that he eats a whole lot of, but I'll follow your advice and see what the deal is with that.

He's fine now. Just freaks a mom out when her 17-year old son calls crying (GAWD, ya'll don't breathe a word of this) and asks me to come pick him up and take him to the hospital - just breaks my heart, and I go in big time Mommy mode, ya know!
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from the hospital with Trent   Just got back from the hospital with Trent Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 8:46 pm

heck you can strain his pee through about anything including a coffee filter then put the stone in a clean ziplock till the next day and take it too the doc and tell him to have it analyzed.... crazy for a kid that young to have this kind of problem... so many different things can cause kidney stones the list is endless.. and once you have them you will 90% of the time get them again so you need to find the cause.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from the hospital with Trent   Just got back from the hospital with Trent Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 8:49 pm

I hear those things hurt worse then having a baby... affraid affraid

Does he drink a lot of soda pop?
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from the hospital with Trent   Just got back from the hospital with Trent Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 9:07 pm

Lynn, thank you so much for your suggestion - hadn't even thought of it... I'll go and get the filters and stick them in the bathroom... this ought to be fun explaining this to Trent... HA! But thank you so much!

Bluejay, I think he probably does when he goes out to eat without us... they both know, they can't have anything but water or juice at home... because Trent drinks so much when he eats.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from the hospital with Trent   Just got back from the hospital with Trent Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just got back from the hospital with Trent
Page 1 of 1