Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Worming...?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Worming...? Empty
PostSubject: Worming...?   Worming...? Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 2:17 am

Alright, my baby is scouring now.... I normally worm when they scour, and give them pepto bismol and some plain yogurt. Now I am wondering with learning all this new stuff about wormers.... Which is the safest to start her on? I worm foals about every two weeks usually, but am especially paranoid now....

Also, my mini filly is due for some worming. I have no idea whether or not she has EVER been wormed, so which is the weakest? and what program should I work her up to?
Also, we found out this filly came with lice.... the lice are just starting to make movement now that the cold has gone away( sort of LOL)... I am using the powder "Dri Kill", and will do this again (only done it once so far, but she is still scratching)... What else can I do? I want to move my mare and foal into that pasture, But WILL NOT when this filly has lice! any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Worming...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worming...?   Worming...? Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 1:41 pm

worm the mare at 24hr and the foal at 1week and then every month we use liquid ivercide 1cc for every 110 lbs my vet told me you can't use too much ivercide so give them plenty (he said up to even 10ccs) taking into consideration they may spit some out... then probiotics a couple days later.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Worming...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worming...?   Worming...? Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2007, 9:58 am

That's cool. I did not know you could worm the foal at 1 week.. I will start doing that my self. Get ahead of those nasty parasites. bounce I do worm the mare right before foaling.. The vet told me that really helps bring their milk in..
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Worming...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worming...?   Worming...? Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2007, 9:29 pm

I can't bring myself to use 10 cc on a foal I stick to 4-5 cc but have yet to see one spit any out never had any bad reactions and babies are growing like weeds. The one that did scours was from a mare that I knew was pretty infested when I bought her in the fall and started her power pac 24 hrs after foaling and boy it was like turning off a faucet she stopped scouring immediately it was amazing! Then I worm every month after. My mares think they are jersey cows so haven't had any problems with milk right now wish some would back off could be feeding 2-3 foals each...
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690

Worming...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worming...?   Worming...? Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2007, 4:29 pm

alright, so the baby is not scouring anymore, but I hate scours, so with my TB mare that just foaled, I wormed and vaccinated her within a week of foaling, dewormed her within 24 hours after foaling, and then I plan to deworm the little feller....

Think it will work?
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Worming...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worming...?   Worming...? Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2007, 10:36 am

Sounds like you have done it right.. I think it will work.. Let use know how it goes.. study
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Sponsored content

Worming...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worming...?   Worming...? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worming...?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: Veterinary Station-
Jump to: