Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HYPP question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-02-10

HYPP question Empty
PostSubject: HYPP question   HYPP question Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2009, 2:21 am

Is it possible to fake an HYPP test result on AQHA papers? What does it look like on the registration papers? Is it printed or is it a special stamp? Just curious because I have a friend whose horse looked like she was tying up with pain. Then I remembered they said she was Impressive bred awhile back, so I started to wonder if this was an onset of an HYPP spell. She arched her back, like a mad cat, and every muscle popped out and it looked like she locked them up for a few seconds. Then it went away and she limped over to her hay and nibbled. If this isnt a form of HYPP, what could be her reason for locking herself up like that?
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

HYPP question Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP question   HYPP question Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2009, 10:52 am

I have a sticker that went on my mares papers and I'll have to check on the others to see what theirs is.
She should check out info on PSSM
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

HYPP question Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP question   HYPP question Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2009, 11:36 am

That does not sound like an HYPP attack. But heck you never know it can effect horses in differant ways. Ask Bluejay to see if she might think it is PSSM, She is our forum expert on that. My papers all are stamped now, rather than the stickers, as they like the IF stickers fell off sometimes, so they stamp them now. . She could pull hair to make sure, then go on from there. Get some Karol syrup so if she does it again, give her about 60-80 ccs. Right away.
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

HYPP question Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP question   HYPP question Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2009, 4:12 pm

I have a filly that use to tie up like that and I did have her tested for PSSM which came back neg. At times she would act like she is colicing and then her flank and butt muscles would just spasm. I put her on Vit E and Selenium and she quit doing it. Then months later she did it one more time when I moved her mom to the pasture across the road. She was screaming and running the fence line. So I figured stress had started that one ,now she has her best buddy leaving soon so it will be interesting to see if she does it again.
Back to top Go down
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

HYPP question Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP question   HYPP question Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2009, 3:22 pm

The horse isnt having the spasms anymore. Now I think she jacked her hip/back up real bad. The poor thing was having trouble walking and it looked very painful. There is absolutely no swelling visible anywhere. I told them she needed to walk out of her stall at least twice a day to keep from getting even more stiff. Plus I told them it wouldnt hurt to do some water therapy twice a day either.

They called me this morning and said she is moving better, but that it still hurts. I told them to give some bute to help a little bit, and to call the vet. After she heals, if she does, THey were thinking that either way she would benefit from a chiro. I agreed since she is 16 and a very active horse. SHe does penning, sorting, and playdays.

Any suggestions??
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

HYPP question Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP question   HYPP question Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2009, 11:19 pm

If the sire and dam are NN they would not test. No reason to. The get would be NN.. They do not fake those test. What you described does not fit PSSM either. scratch Sounds like the horse got a hitch in it's get along. And, if it is fine now I would just keep my eye on them to see if it happens again..

HYPP can looks like a ripple under the skin (mild to moderate attach). Like some thing crawling under there. PSSM usually looks like the horse goes down and flops like a fish trying to get up and cannot.. cat

Just keep an eye on it. And see if it happens again. May just be a fluke.. fishing
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

HYPP question Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP question   HYPP question Icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2009, 2:09 am

One was HYPP+ or they wouldnt have tested. I didnt mean fake the test, I meant the test result. Like, faking the stamp or something. Shes not spasming anymore. Its just VERY painful to walk. Theres just no visible swelling anywhere. I checked her back, well I squeezed it lightly and she gave to it about 4 inches past her wither. She almost dropped on me. Im betting its her back or hips...
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

HYPP question Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP question   HYPP question Icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2009, 1:57 pm

I would find a good chiro and let them work on her. Glad she's getting a bit better.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

HYPP question Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP question   HYPP question Icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2009, 9:37 pm

I am totally with Mare. The Chiro will get it done if that's it. A vet will not find that. Very much worth the money to do the chiro first..

I use them when ever I have something I think can be related before I call a vet.. The vets know science.. And, will run up a big one and not get any results. They do what they know. Even if the horse is better I would still get the chiro out and have it adjusted.. fishing
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Sponsored content

HYPP question Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP question   HYPP question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HYPP question
Page 1 of 1