Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help...Dilema

Go down 
+5
Lynn M.
Triple J Quarter Horses
reiningfan
REINING CHICK
Sip of Rum
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Help...Dilema Empty
PostSubject: Help...Dilema   Help...Dilema Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 11:11 pm

Buck is getting real bad with rearing up. The other day he did it twice, not just little rears, like straight up and down. I have a tie down on him and he still does it. it was VERY tight today and I thought I wouldn't have a problem. He reared at LEAST fourteen times today. It's getting out of hand. I bailed off three of those times cause I thought he was gonna come down on top of me. It is all because I don't let him get away with what he wants and he freaks out. If i try turn him kick him and stuff when he rears he just does it again. I feel like I have no control. I tried getting off and lunging him for about forty minutes and he freaks, he burned the lunge line out of my hand 3 times and took off around the yard. I finally got it so I put it around his nose and he did better but I just don't know what to do. I'm not sure if the prvious owners let him get away with whatever he wanted or what? It scares me to have to go get on a horse that rears every 5 minutes or less. Most of it is turning a certain way, that is the same side he was freaking on lunging too. Also when I took him out I had him cross tied and he reared twice when he was tied up too. its rediculous. Shocked
Back to top Go down
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Help...Dilema Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Dilema   Help...Dilema Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 1:32 am

are u sure his saddle is fitting correctly? have u checked his back? he might be hurting some were.....
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

Help...Dilema Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Dilema   Help...Dilema Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 7:52 am

his saddle seems to fit fine. He is perfectly okay with riding and runs the barrels and does stuff like that like a champ, it just seems like when we get in the direction of the barn that is when he freaks out. No other time does he do anything. You can keep loping or trotting around the area that I ride but if I stop at that end or corner that is in the direction of the barn, that is when he freaks out. Question
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Help...Dilema Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Dilema   Help...Dilema Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 9:09 am

When you lunge him, are you using a chain? We use one if we have a horse that wants to pull away.
As to the rearing, can you feel when he wants to do it? Can you push him forward when you feel that? A horse can't rear as easily if they have forward movement. As to the tie down, I found that they hinder more than they help with a rearing horse.
Another thing to do if they want to rear is to pull your inside rein and use your leg to disengage the horse's hip.
Be careful and don't get hurt.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Help...Dilema Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Dilema   Help...Dilema Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 9:48 am

Do you have a round pen?

Is he feeling trapped. Some will do this when they feel they can not go forward. Is he over bitted? by chance? Have you tried a differant bit? Im just throwing differant ideas out there.

Or he is just barn sour.. Now that is a whole differant ball park.

Last edited by Triple J Quarter Horses on May 13th 2009, 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Help...Dilema Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Dilema   Help...Dilema Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 9:59 am

I am not a believer in chiro but did have a horse with exact behavior that I worked with when I trained in NV and had his neck adjusted and he stopped the behavior cold turkey.
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850

Help...Dilema Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Dilema   Help...Dilema Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 3:22 pm

I believe he doing it out of fear, either his back is hurting or something has happened to him to make him fearful of the barn or heading towards it.

Its his way of letting you know something isnt quite right, horses dont choose to rear for the shear fun of it as it leaves there bellies exposed to predators.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Help...Dilema Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Dilema   Help...Dilema Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 8:22 pm

I say get the chiro out first of all and rule that out. Since it happens in a certain direction he may be out.. Normally if a horse is corrected he does not just keep doing this over and over again. Makes no sense.. scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Ragdoll

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Help...Dilema Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Dilema   Help...Dilema Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 8:40 pm

I had a little pinto mare who became a barn rat over-night. She'd all but throw herself on the ground....Didn't want to leave her corral....So I rode the snot out of her IN her corral. She was real happy to leave after a couple of corral rides.
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

Help...Dilema Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Dilema   Help...Dilema Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 9:30 pm

I don't know why he would feel trapped, he is in a wide open area. I do not have a round pen, i wish i did. When he rears I pull his head to the side and kick with inside leg and he turns in circles and then stops and rears again. I will try find a chiro to look at it. its not exactly horse country out here so I dunno if I will be able to find one! I did not get to ride him tonight, its storming still... I will try find a chiro and let you know what happens next time I ride.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Help...Dilema Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Dilema   Help...Dilema Icon_minitimeMay 14th 2009, 11:36 am

Not being trapped in a small area, Being trapped as not being able to go forward. Some horses have this fear its being trapped due to the rider on their back. So they explode. Round penning is a great help with this. Sounds like barn sour to me. Now that is a whole differant story..... A real challenge. Never ride him toward the barn.. Always walk him back... The only thing you can do is.. When he is throwing his FIT , circle like you do. Get off, lounge the crap out of him. Make his fit throwing more uncomfortable, so he will be glad to be nice.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Help...Dilema Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Dilema   Help...Dilema Icon_minitimeMay 14th 2009, 10:59 pm

someone mentioned being overbitted too I would consider changing the bit and the other consideration I would consider would be have you had his teeth checked. He may need his teeth floated that can do miracles for behavior night and day nothing worse than mouth pain.
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

Help...Dilema Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Dilema   Help...Dilema Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2009, 8:38 am

I will have his teeth checked. The bit i use is the one he has been using for ten years. So I don't think it is that. I honestly think he is trying to get to the grass. On the side where the barn is there is grass, and the opposite side of the area i ride that the barn is on there is grass there too. He freaked about going that way too last night. He got his butt whooped and he stopped. when I was lunging him he was freaking out too, but all he did was pulled away until he got to the grass and then stopped and ate. Not sure what the big deal is but..
Back to top Go down
Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-04-23

Help...Dilema Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Dilema   Help...Dilema Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2009, 9:05 am

A lady that I know just had her mare's teeth floated. Great little mare always very compliant and very healthy in the weight too. She acted up at a show once and someone mentioned getting her teeth done. Well, one of her middle teeth had grown in sideways toward her tongue like a diving board. Everytime that she would bite down, her top teeth would hit the root of the crooked tooth. Poor thing, I felt so bad when the vet pulled it out and talk about stinky! You just never know what may be hidden in there.
Back to top Go down
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Help...Dilema Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Dilema   Help...Dilema Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2009, 9:50 am

my trainer is big on teeth. i didnt think about that with your horse. id have his teeth checked.
my trainer was on a horse and asked for his head the horse reared up and over and she broke both her arms. had the teeth checked and guess what needed some pulled.
my 3 year old mare just had 4 teeth pulled!!! your right it was stinkyyyyyyyy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help...Dilema Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Dilema   Help...Dilema Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help...Dilema
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: General Off Topic Discussions-
Jump to: