Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Joys Of Proudflesh

Go down 
+2
Triple J Quarter Horses
Merikle Waters
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Joys Of Proudflesh Empty
PostSubject: Joys Of Proudflesh   Joys Of Proudflesh Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2008, 2:06 am

So I am looking for opinions and advice on Tristans proudflesh...

Upon initial injury to his leg, no stitching could be done. No lameness whatsoever, but a lot of swelling. He had standing wraps on for approximately 4-5 days, first day furacin, and after that derma-gel. Since at that point the proudflesh was there, I removed the wraps to give it air, and begin getting after the proudflesh.

Since the wraps were removed, his leg has been cold hosed, washed and scrubbed with a betadine surgical scrub, dried, and the proudflesh scrubbed until it was bleeding. Then derma gel was applied with a little wonder dust on top to keep it on, as well as swat around the wound to ensure flies kept away.

In our daily routine, I have been scrubbing the area for more and more time each evening, and have switched to putting preperation H on it, with of course swat around the wound.

Not long after his initial injury, sometime in the night he scraped the front of his leg as well on the boards of his pen (itching it I would imagine as it was still very swollen). This scrape turned into a cut, however I have kept the proudflesh at bay from the initial moment, and it is slowly healing as well.

Also to top it off, the second injury had some heat in it, and while he was not lame, not off his food or water, I suspected infection with the amount of swelling and heat still present. So he had 7 days of pennicillin, which seemed to fix things (leg is still slightly swollen, mostly on the inside below the knee).

So my dilemma is, He is a show horse... and while I suspect he's out for the rest of the year, I do want to be able to show APHA with him in halter until he is able to go out for his WP training. So I think the proudflesh looks less and less everyday... but its hard to tell when I see him everyday, every week, every month.... But with the location of the wound with proudflesh, I think if it were to heal as is, it would look like a splint. Which would ensure I stay out of placings on the open circuit, let alone the breed shows.

I know the option to have it debrided is there... however I have never had to. Putting the time in scrubbing with my prep H has always worked... although I have never had one in this area, or on a show horse. Never had bad scars after I had it cleaned up, but still... Im very worried with him.

If I were to have it debrided, what would the chances be that the proudflesh may return? any addition scarring? Or should I keep on doing what im doing?

any advice and opinions welcome. I just want to show my boy who I have put so much time, effort and money in, and I want him to be healthy... Sucks when I know he doesn't have splints... but Im sure if it would heal as is... it may end up looking like he has one.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Joys Of Proudflesh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joys Of Proudflesh   Joys Of Proudflesh Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2008, 5:44 pm

UNDERWOODS, Keep it in the barn! cheers http://www.underwoodhorsemedicine.com/

Now that you did not have it on hand, ASPRIN will Eat the proud flesh, I mean eat it. Now i know what it can do to your stomach. Get you a Scapel and Cut the proud flesh off. And Pressure bandage it. Stop the hosing, unless there is swelling. Hosing promotes Proud flesh growth, its the moisture, Have to keep the moisture away. Once the bleeding stops, Take the pressure bandage off, with a light airy bandage to promote as much air movement at possible but, to keep the flies off. Those dirty little monsters, can make a wound grow twice its size in a day! Evil or Very Mad
As far a the scar, dont worry about a bump here and there, Its man made, even a splint cant be taken off, Well at least they arent suppose to.. scratch Girl, Ive seen world and congress camps with them!
Id order Doctor underwoods, Cut the proud flesh off, Pressure bandage it until it stopped and apply underwoods. It has something in it that keeps the flies at bay. BUT you are suppose to apply it 4 time a day, I cant do that with work and all.. Good luck.
PS the Pencillian was a good Idea, we usually go 10 days.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Joys Of Proudflesh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joys Of Proudflesh   Joys Of Proudflesh Icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2008, 1:05 am

Triple J Quarter Horses wrote:
UNDERWOODS, Keep it in the barn! cheers http://www.underwoodhorsemedicine.com/

Now that you did not have it on hand, ASPRIN will Eat the proud flesh, I mean eat it. Now i know what it can do to your stomach. Get you a Scapel and Cut the proud flesh off. And Pressure bandage it. Stop the hosing, unless there is swelling. Hosing promotes Proud flesh growth, its the moisture, Have to keep the moisture away. Once the bleeding stops, Take the pressure bandage off, with a light airy bandage to promote as much air movement at possible but, to keep the flies off. Those dirty little monsters, can make a wound grow twice its size in a day! Evil or Very Mad
As far a the scar, dont worry about a bump here and there, Its man made, even a splint cant be taken off, Well at least they arent suppose to.. scratch Girl, Ive seen world and congress camps with them!
Id order Doctor underwoods, Cut the proud flesh off, Pressure bandage it until it stopped and apply underwoods. It has something in it that keeps the flies at bay. BUT you are suppose to apply it 4 time a day, I cant do that with work and all.. Good luck.
PS the Pencillian was a good Idea, we usually go 10 days.

I have underwoods... just when I used it, it didnt seem to work. May have to give it a try.

And also I should have included, when he had the standing wraps, he had a pressure bandage on as well under the standing wraps.

I chatted with my vet today, and they think I should have it debrided... but I just don't know? Maybe Ill try the asprin, and underwoods, and go from there. Im just really worried that I finally have something worth spending the money to show, and I can't even show him... and what if thats permanent until im able to ride him... would much rather halter points AND performance points...

Good thing is its on a white section of hair, so color of hair coming in wont matter... But just worried about it looking like a splint.

Also, I have been doing the cold water scrub because it does still feel a little swollen... might start him up on another week of penicillin and go from there.

Thank you TJ, I was really needing guidance with this guy. It is much appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Joys Of Proudflesh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joys Of Proudflesh   Joys Of Proudflesh Icon_minitimeJuly 26th 2008, 8:56 pm

Ok, so here goes my bash the vet. If you have them mess with it, it will just come back. Money in their pocket for something you can do your self. And continue to come back while it heals. Just use the underwoods and keep it clean. You may be scrubbing it too much as well. It needs to be taken care of. But, not kept open. It will never heal that way. study
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Joys Of Proudflesh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joys Of Proudflesh   Joys Of Proudflesh Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2008, 4:09 pm

Bluejay - That is kind of how I felt about it... However when im scrubbing, its just because Im trying to remove proudflesh still... once the proudflesh is gone, I'll let it scab and heal. Smile

TJ - Thanks a ton for the asprin idea! It indeed does seem to be working! cheers

Now my only worry is there is still some swelling in the tendon area (he injured the front and side of his leg).... Maybe I should start him back on pen? The swelling concerns me, however he isn't nor ever has been lame on that leg... he has an awesome appetite and drinks with no issues... so what else do you think could be going on here?
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Joys Of Proudflesh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joys Of Proudflesh   Joys Of Proudflesh Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2008, 8:59 pm

ICE ICE ICE Baby.. The wonder drug.. cheering
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871

Joys Of Proudflesh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joys Of Proudflesh   Joys Of Proudflesh Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2008, 1:54 am

I know I've been out of touch lately, but I read here and there.

I use Proudsoft and I let it do the work. I put it on everyday and wipe it clean with soap and water before each application. If you over scrub the proudflesh, you'll just irritate it more, causing it to swell, which in turn makes it look like it's growing. Give the medicine a chance to do its job. I know it takes awhile, but be patient.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Joys Of Proudflesh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joys Of Proudflesh   Joys Of Proudflesh Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2008, 6:28 pm

Cindy wrote:
I know I've been out of touch lately, but I read here and there.

I use Proudsoft and I let it do the work. I put it on everyday and wipe it clean with soap and water before each application. If you over scrub the proudflesh, you'll just irritate it more, causing it to swell, which in turn makes it look like it's growing. Give the medicine a chance to do its job. I know it takes awhile, but be patient.

I have begun scrubbing only to take the scab off now, the asprin is really eating it away cheers . I've never heard of proudsoft...? do you by chance have a link?

His proudflesh does seem to be under control now, however, his tendon area is still slightly swollen. I will be glad when this is over... We've been doing this every evening for over 2 months now... Just want the stinker to heal up! Laughing

Maybe ill try to snap a few pics tonight if I remember to bring the camera.

Thanks everyone, your help is greatly appreciated. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Joys Of Proudflesh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joys Of Proudflesh   Joys Of Proudflesh Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2008, 10:10 am

I know it's really expensive, but have you tried Excenel (sp?). When Tony got kicked, the swelling actually MOVED the tendons & ligaments. Talk about looking like he has a split, Tony looked like he broke his leg. The excenel can get into places that the pen can't. Like hock joints & such. Or so my vets tell me. I've had great luck with it. And because it's a thin liquid, you can use a smaller diameter needle, for which your horse will thank you.
I ordered Underwood's for Sandy & Pep, but it took forever to get here. Until then I got a bottle off proud flesh powder from the local tack shop. It worked fairly well.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Joys Of Proudflesh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joys Of Proudflesh   Joys Of Proudflesh Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2008, 9:22 pm

This is true about too much scrubbing. When you think about the fact that it forms when healing and you keep updsetting the wound it never heals and you just keep on keeping on.. Have to let it run it's course. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Joys Of Proudflesh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joys Of Proudflesh   Joys Of Proudflesh Icon_minitimeAugust 4th 2008, 2:52 am

I have ceased treating his leg, with the asprin (I was just rubbing enough to take the scab off) it ate it all cheers

Thank you thank you thank you TJ!!!!!!!!

Now the swelling seems to be subsiding.. However, where the intial injury is, there is still quite a lump, I do believe it will always look like a splint Sad

Does anyone else know of anything to reduce this or?

I know the lady I work for uses magnetic boots and sweats her pony stallions legs (he has 2 splints)... But I don't know if this would work? Ive never sweated legs before... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Joys Of Proudflesh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joys Of Proudflesh   Joys Of Proudflesh Icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2008, 9:27 pm

There is a great product out there for splints. This in not one so would likey not work. Splints will go away on their own as well. Once the wound has closed up all the way you could try some DMSO and wrap it with seran wrap and put some pressure wraps over it. study

I will have to try the asprin if they ever comes up for me again. affraid
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Joys Of Proudflesh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joys Of Proudflesh   Joys Of Proudflesh Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2008, 10:08 pm

Quote :
[Thank you thank you thank you TJ!!!!!!!!

Your welcome, Just think what that does to your stomach! affraid
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Joys Of Proudflesh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joys Of Proudflesh   Joys Of Proudflesh Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2008, 1:51 pm

I agree with Bluejay on the DMSO and saranwrap...

we do a DMSO/nitrofurison mix, rub that on the leg, put a soft cotton bandage around, then the saran wrap and then wrap with a polo to keep the horse from getting into the saranwrap...

It works great...

Mud will pull down swelling in a leg QUICK - but I wouldn't use with an open wound.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Sponsored content

Joys Of Proudflesh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joys Of Proudflesh   Joys Of Proudflesh Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Joys Of Proudflesh
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: Veterinary Station-
Jump to: