Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!!

Go down 
+2
smokey
Mr Carrerista
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Carrerista

Mr Carrerista

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2007-09-20

Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!!   Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2007, 4:57 pm

Hello everybody!! I have a gelded trail horse, he's around 10 or 11 years old. When I ride him out with my friend's horse my horse is always much sweatier than the other. The other horse is barely breaking a sweat when my horse has been sweating for a while already. I asked some friends about it and they say that its a good sign, because he's cooling off well. But I can't say i agree with'm. So is this normal??

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Back to top Go down
smokey

smokey

Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!!   Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2007, 5:37 pm

Hi: I don't know anything about this but you might try going to thehorse.com to search for any articles about this and you can also post a question to a vet I believe.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!!   Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2007, 5:46 pm

He looks fine to me (pretty horse).... I would think as long as they are well hydrated no problem each horse tolerates heat and cold differently. I have horses that do wonderful in the winter will stand in a snow drift with ice hanging off of them and they are happy- it seems-wont stand in the stall if they are in one with a run and do great, but others that if it frosts need a blanket made for below freezing. Those that need the blanket hardly ever sweat in the hot weather unless they are working and will stand in the sun all summer they love it- the others sweat all summer long and look miserable. Don't worry about him unless he quits sweating then you have a huge problem!
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!!   Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2007, 9:40 pm

As Lynn said, Good hydration and sweating is a good thing. No sweating is bad.. Horses are all individuals. Other thing to consider is what kind of shape the horse is in? This horse looks to be in good shape. Little more coat then normal for this time of year. This could cause the sweating as well.

Remember plenty of clean fresh water, salt and extra eats when he is working hard. Really a cute horse.. And tell that chicken to get back and take care of chicken business lol! I always end up with someone in my shots I did not know was there... Dancing
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
smokey

smokey

Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!!   Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2007, 10:17 pm

A coincidence----this just came through in my AQHA newsletter:

AAEP Q&A

QUESTION

My Quarter horse gelding seems to be sweating much more this year. He won't stand under the shade and is always in the sun. Will all the sweating cause any skin problems or dryness?

ANSWER

There are no skin issues that excess sweating can cause that I am aware of, but there are some horses that develop anhydrosis, or the loss of sweating ability. The sweat glands appear to become exhausted, and the horse will stop sweating. This can cause serious problems as the horse is unable to cool himself. Watch your horse carefully. As long as he is sweating freely, he should be fine. Make sure you are supplying him with electrolytes and/or a salt block and plenty of water. – Elizabeth Callahan, DVM, Oxford, Maryland

For more questions and answers, or to pose your own questions, visit the horse owner section of www.aaep.org and participate in the “Ask a Vet” forum by posing your health-related questions to our experts for that month’s topic. As the world’s largest professional association for equine veterinarians, the American Association of Equine Practitioners – an AQHA alliance partner – is dedicated to improving the health and welfare of the horse.
Back to top Go down
Mr Carrerista

Mr Carrerista

PostSubject: Re: Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!!   Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2007, 12:13 am

Thank you all for the very helpful info!! oh and this picture was taken around may i think. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!!   Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2007, 9:46 am

Big Fan of electrolytes, When it is humid and hot, I keep one bucket of water and one of electrolytes mixed in water for them, free choice.

Smokey, good Read! study
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!!   Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2007, 2:35 pm

Ours all get electrolytes in their feed - easier for us to make sure they get it...water buckets get washed out (soap and water all the way) daily so it is just easier to give a scoop of electolytes to everyone at each feeding regardless...

We had a super sweaty pony horse for a while...he STAYED sweaty...never had a problem with him other than that...
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!!   Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2007, 8:40 pm

Cool Nice coat for that time of year.. Smile Did you tell that chicken to get busy with chicken business Shocked CUTE.. It wants to be part of the show.. bounce I just love the animals around the farm. They all belong.. cheers
Back to top Go down
Mr Carrerista

Mr Carrerista

PostSubject: Re: Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!!   Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2007, 12:44 am

...now that you brought up the chicken, That chicken is the only one left in the farm now. We had a couple more but I they all started dissapearing...i think coyotes and skunks had something to do with it. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
But this is one unique chicken, he is always walking behind and hangin around the dogs (a big ole Great Perinese and a Lab)I think the chicken believes he's a dog and it seems the dogs accept'm as one of them also. The doegs would chase around the other chickens but this one they seem to love Razz the chicken sometimes even eats their food .....true story!!
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!!   Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2007, 12:52 am

He is so cute.. Take care of him.. I bet the dogs watch out for him too.. LOL.. I love it when all the critters are part of what we do.. I have a cat that thinks she is a dog.. cat She is addorable and loves everyone.. Her and the dogs cuddle and she wonders around the farm just like they do. She is a pretty orange, black and white calli and has long hair. She was a stray someone dropped off at the bar in freezing weather. We brought her home, spayded her and cannot understand how someone could dump such a special kittly.. She has a great home with us and always will. I bet she would try to cuddle that chicken. lol! Dancing pray
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!!   Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sweating Horse!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1