Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rudy's in the doghouse

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LovingLoping

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Rudy's in the doghouse Empty
PostSubject: Rudy's in the doghouse   Rudy's in the doghouse Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2007, 9:08 pm

Evil or Very Mad ...so to speak! He was an absolute terror today.
I got him out of his pasture, and it was a really nice day out. Sunshine, blue skies, in the 70's, and windy. Key word: windy. I took him to the trailer to tack up, as usual. I just bought a used English saddle for him, and I was super excited, because it was going to be my second ride in it. So the wind's blowing, not super strong, and my grooming-hanging-thingy flaps a few times. Rudy lost it. Reared, set back and PULLED. Reared several more times, screaming...setting back. It was bad. Luckily I'd jumped out of the way, but when I walked back to him to assess the damage, something set him off again. Rear, pull, set back, etc. all over again. We went through this twice more before I could unhook him. So my leadrope is pretty much permanently attached to the trailer hook and he broke the snap on it. I was ticked.
So after a little more bru-ha-ha, I get him saddled and start riding. Suddenly, the arena he's done a bazillion laps in is scary-as-hell and he wouldn't listen at all. I'd be more forgiving, but this was ridiculous: not backing, didn't want to trot out, fighting his head...All of which we mastered at least a year ago. After a couple of bucks, I got off, and off to the roundpen we went. He was a maniac, galloping madly for probably 20 minutes.
My barn owner came over (mostly to ask why my western studmuffin was dressed up as a hunter pony, ha) and we talked about his setting back issue. She suggested the Clinton Anderson tie-ring, which I'll prolly buy and we kinda talked through it. It certainly made me feel better.
Anyways, sorry to ramble, but it was a pretty terrible day for Rudy and I. When I threw him back in his stall he was all Shocked still, and I tried to convince myself that I didn't care.
Every horse should be allowed an off-day, but we have HLSR in a month-our first AQHA show, and I know we'll get beat anyways, but I at least wanted to feel proud of our rides there. Now I'm just embarrassed at the thought of showing against those kids.
Okay, rant officially over. Feel free to ignore. As I told a barn lady today, "At least tomorrow's another day!"
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

PostSubject: Re: Rudy's in the doghouse   Rudy's in the doghouse Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2007, 11:01 pm

Aww hon, they do all have bad days. I know I have some very awesome broke horses in my barn, but they all have days where the normal non-horse eating tree can all of a sudden turn into a huge scary monster. It's just like you, I'm sure you have days when you're in a bad mood, and your normal, patient self can turn into a short tempered irritable, less than nice person. I know because I'm the same way. There are days when my patience sure as heck runs out, I know horses are the same way. And I guarentee you, those kids you're going to be up against at that next show, they have days just like yours too. I've shown a lot and I've won alot, and let me tell you, there are days I feel so darn discouraged I feel like heck, why do I even do this? Then I figure, hey, I do this because one good day with my horses makes up for all the bad days put together... And if you've already got it set in your head that you're not going to win out there, that's what's going to happen. Hon, you ride your horse out in that ring like you're riding a million dollars, you need to believe that you have the best horse in the ring, because what matters at the end of the day is what YOU think of your horse. The judge doesn't ride them, go through the good and bad, and put all the effort into them, you do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: Rudy's in the doghouse   Rudy's in the doghouse Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2007, 12:07 am

Lovinloping, I learned a long time ago, not to ride when it's windy... we had a lot of wind here today, too. The horses that were in the barn were acting like a bunch of banshees out running all day today. The broodmares and geldings who are usually stay outside were normal, quiet as mouses.

I hope you get everything squared away, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rudy's in the doghouse   Rudy's in the doghouse Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rudy's in the doghouse
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: General Off Topic Discussions-
Jump to: