Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Weaned colt.... problems...

Go down 
+2
Triple J Quarter Horses
Merikle Waters
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Weaned colt.... problems... Empty
PostSubject: Weaned colt.... problems...   Weaned colt.... problems... Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 1:28 am

Last edited by on November 9th 2007, 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Weaned colt.... problems...   Weaned colt.... problems... Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 10:52 am

Did you say ALMOST 3 months? Gee, Id never wean before 3 months.
I mean unless it was a HAVE TO CASE. Depression is a serious issue in foals. Serious. Ulcers can develope. Watch his stools, watch watch watch.
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

Number of posts : 424

PostSubject: Re: Weaned colt.... problems...   Weaned colt.... problems... Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 1:19 pm

Can you put the mare just on the other side of the fence from him? If you have a good safe set-up, that's what I would do... I weaned mine at 3-4 months this year, but I made sure the mares and babies can still touch noses if need be.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: Weaned colt.... problems...   Weaned colt.... problems... Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 4:09 pm

Last edited by on November 9th 2007, 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

PostSubject: Re: Weaned colt.... problems...   Weaned colt.... problems... Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 4:29 pm

I think as long as the foal is eating well on his own and acting independent, there's nothing wrong with weaning at 3 months, in fact a mare's milk quality starts going down at 2 months. I did mine all at 3-4 months this year for a few reasons... one Oobi is a HUGE pig and I want him to go back to his home (I bought the mare with him at side with the agreement I'd care for him until weaning he's 4mo now) ..two, Walter's Ma was going to be leaving soon, and he's also a HUGE pig... and three, Flopsy's Mom needs to go home because I don't want to get attached to her (she's bred to Phenom, and her owner's evil plan was to give me Flopsy to nurse back to health, meanwhile getting me to want to buy her Mama Rolling Eyes )

Anyway...how long ago did you wean? I'd be tempted to give him back to Mom if she still has a bag...this isn't the foundered mare is it? Can you up her feed?
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: Weaned colt.... problems...   Weaned colt.... problems... Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 6:09 pm

Last edited by on November 9th 2007, 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: Weaned colt.... problems...   Weaned colt.... problems... Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 7:32 pm

I wouldn't suggest giving bute to any baby, whatsoever... causes ulcers big time.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: Weaned colt.... problems...   Weaned colt.... problems... Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 7:33 pm

did the vet think bute was ok on an already stressed colt? are you giving gastrogard with it? I sure wouldn't give it w/o something to prevent ulcers you are asking for a problem in this colt at weaning with giving bute just a thought. Get some gastroguard if the colt has been on bute more than a day or 2.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: Weaned colt.... problems...   Weaned colt.... problems... Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 8:31 pm

Last edited by on November 9th 2007, 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: Weaned colt.... problems...   Weaned colt.... problems... Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 9:31 pm

I have a 4 mo old filly getting bute at the vet clinic 1 gram daily but is getting gastroguard for protection would never give a foal this w/o gastroguard these colts are very prone to ulcers they have very delicate stomaches and this filly hasn't been pulled from momma as she is having some health issues so we didn't want to stress her at all. It doesn't take 5 days of bute to cause an ulcer in any horse esp an already stressed horse/foal- gastroguard is prescription and worth every penny!
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

PostSubject: Re: Weaned colt.... problems...   Weaned colt.... problems... Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2007, 9:11 am

A girlfriend of mine thinks the paste bute is safer than the liqued form... I'm not sure what I think about it...

You said it's a stifle..Ivan, my now gelding, had a locking stifle as a two year old, my Dad wasn't sure what we should do, so he consulted with another vet he was in school with back in "the day" ...this other vet spent many moons on the track...and he said it's best to use bute as little as possible, BUT that in a low enough dosage, and on enough forage, it could be given for as long as 30 days safely...like I said though, this was a two year old...

I've always thought banamine for muscle, bute for joints, hooves, and bone... is it stifle then? or more muscle?
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Weaned colt.... problems...   Weaned colt.... problems... Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2007, 9:32 am

I've always thought banamine for muscle, bute for joints, hooves, and bone... is it stifle then? or more muscle?

Arrow I agree. Bute is pretty much like Asprin. That is why it is so hard on the linings. Unless on some sort ulcer gaurd, Id stay away from it. The fact of the mare leaving his site and then reappearing, leaving again, would cause stress. IF she couldnt leave his site, like Kelly said close side by side, Either take her away completely or make her stay close. Size of a foal really doesnt matter. There are plenty of big foals out there and either arent old enough or mature enough to wean at 3 months. How big is he? How tall? Must be a real big boy. Very Happy As big as TJ was at 3 months, I waited till 4 months. I just gave Mom more grain and increased her fat level. Just to help her along.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Weaned colt.... problems...   Weaned colt.... problems... Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2007, 9:50 pm

When I wean, the babies and mothers cannot see each other. I would not wean that way.. There are many ways to do it and none of them wrong. I think that just prolongs the stress. I leave foals in the big barn where they are safe and mothers go to a different area. After about 2 to 4 days the stress is all over.. coffee

I HATE WEANING.. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weaned colt.... problems...   Weaned colt.... problems... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weaned colt.... problems...
Page 1 of 1