Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

It's too HOT!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RoanRider420

RoanRider420

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2007-07-05

It's too HOT!! Empty
PostSubject: It's too HOT!!   It's too HOT!! Icon_minitimeJuly 6th 2007, 2:06 pm

We were going to go to an open show on Sunday that has payback, but the heat index is supposed to be over 100 degrees. I don't mind showing AQHA when it's that hot because you have stalls and your horse is inside, out of the sun. How do you guys who do open shows handle that heat? Our trailer has a big awning, but we'd be hauling 2-year olds and tying them under the awning would probably not be the best idea in the world. Plus one is a stud so he'd have to go on the other side anyway. I don't understand why they can't have the shows in the evening when it gets this hot...
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-02-08

It's too HOT!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's too HOT!!   It's too HOT!! Icon_minitimeJuly 6th 2007, 3:42 pm

When I showed in Missouri as a kid, all local open shows were at night and they never do that up here in Michigan. It would be so nice. The places are all lit anyway. We"ve skipped shows before because of heat and we've been to some that are miserable. Are they just going in halter? That wouldn't be bad if the classes were over early and you could just leave.
The weather hasn't been hot yet here, just extremely dry. Send some rain from Texas!
Back to top Go down
RoanRider420

RoanRider420

It's too HOT!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's too HOT!!   It's too HOT!! Icon_minitimeJuly 6th 2007, 4:41 pm

I was just going to take Janie in halter and walk trot. The thing is you never know how many horses are going to show up, so you could be done by 11:00 or still sitting there at 3:00. The last open show I went to (about 4 years ago) I went to show in the third halter class of the day and didn't leave until 1:00!!! These county fair shows that have the decent payback, everyone and their cousin shows up to try and win some $$, LOL!
It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the 80% humidity that we have going on right now! We have air conditioning and a generator for the trailer but I won't make my poor horse stand out in this brutal weather!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

It's too HOT!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's too HOT!!   It's too HOT!! Icon_minitimeJuly 9th 2007, 11:54 am

I have an outside plug on the trailer, I drop the back, or I have a ramp, and set box fans on it so it can blow inside to cool things off.
Back to top Go down
RoanRider420

RoanRider420

It's too HOT!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's too HOT!!   It's too HOT!! Icon_minitimeJuly 9th 2007, 12:11 pm

I'm glad we stayed home. It was SO hot, and so humid that you could barely breathe. I went and rode at 9:30 am and it was already so hot you could barely stand it.
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2007-04-02

It's too HOT!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's too HOT!!   It's too HOT!! Icon_minitimeJuly 9th 2007, 12:11 pm

Stockman.....30+ years ago there was a club up by Muskegon....Sunset Riders....They had some of their shows at night. They always had nice shows with a lot of added money.
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

It's too HOT!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's too HOT!!   It's too HOT!! Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2007, 3:32 pm

We buddy up with some others on the open circuit and park our trailers side by side and tie a big bale tarp over them. Then run a fan or two between them. Gotta have our horses pretty sacked out to do it, but it keeps them out of the sun. It has been super hot here too. We had a rodeo to go to last weekend cause the kid who rides Vamp for 4-H was running for rodeo queen. She got runner up, and has only been riding since last fall. I'm real proud of her. As for me, I got a super sunburn and got to talk to lots of hot cowboys. Too bad I'm not single. LOL
Back to top Go down
RoanRider420

RoanRider420

It's too HOT!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's too HOT!!   It's too HOT!! Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2007, 9:26 pm

Our trailer has a HUGE awning on it, but I don't think my trainer thinks it's such a swift idea to tie the 2-year olds under it. Plus we are hauling a stud so we couldn't have them all on one side anyway.
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

It's too HOT!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's too HOT!!   It's too HOT!! Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2007, 8:48 am

I think I've heard people talk about Sunset Riders. I'll check into that. There is a group called Summertime Riders, and they are putting on a nice show this weekend at Berrien Springs, but that it a daytime show. I'm not really worried this weekend, though, I think it will be nice. Today the weather is gorgeously sunny and will top out probably at 75 degrees, plus we actually got a little rain last night (amazing) and everything greened back up a little. At least the pasture is not rock hard!
Back to top Go down
RoanRider420

RoanRider420

It's too HOT!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's too HOT!!   It's too HOT!! Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2007, 10:06 am

There are two REALLY good county fair shows this weekend, and the weather here is supposed to be beautiful, sunny and in the low 80s. BUT of course, my trainer is getting a bunch of new horses in this weekend so she doesn't know if we'll be able to go. Janie is quiet as a mouse, but I'm still a little hesitant to take her places by myself since she's only 2.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

It's too HOT!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's too HOT!!   It's too HOT!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's too HOT!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: Show Talk-
Jump to: