Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Heat Stroke?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Heat Stroke? Empty
PostSubject: Heat Stroke?   Heat Stroke? Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2007, 11:25 pm

ok went out to feed tonight and my 3 month old filly was breathing labored, not sweating, temp 105, the only vet I could find around was the quack who told me my mare last year had rabies and sent her home???? anyways we loaded up after giving banamine and covering her in water by the time we got to the vet clinic she was sweating and her respirations were better, she was looking much better and temp was down to 100.5 vet says she just needs to learn to sweat... I think the dude is a nut job has anybody else heard something like this?
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

Heat Stroke? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke?   Heat Stroke? Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2007, 12:44 pm

I know there is stuff on the market for horses that dont sweat. But I think I would talk to another vet. Glad she's feeling better.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Heat Stroke? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke?   Heat Stroke? Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2007, 1:45 pm

my regular vet called me this morning and said she obviously knows how to sweat but did get over heated and yes this can kill them (I told him I thought she was dying), said to get out the hose if she starts to get hot and run cool water over her for 20 minutes if it doesn't cool her off enough give her bute or banamine to help drop her temp and call him
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Heat Stroke? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke?   Heat Stroke? Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2007, 11:55 am

Id make more suggestion, start on the lower part of the hind legs first and work your way up. Cools the blood slowly as not to send them into shock or causes a heart attack.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Heat Stroke? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke?   Heat Stroke? Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2007, 3:08 pm

Shelter helps as well. I would go slow with the water so you do not put her in shock. I know this is an issue in Ca for some. Some of them put horses out at night and keep them in during the hot day..

I had thought this may have been what happened to Chad.. He was laying out in the hot sun the first time we found him. I was not home so do not know if his resperations were elivated.

Keep us posted..
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Heat Stroke? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke?   Heat Stroke? Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2007, 6:21 pm

she has no sun in her pen all tall oaks lots of breeze actually nicer there than in the barn... if she doesn't let go of her baby fuzz soon clippers to her we are also looking into one of those big cooler fans with misters... they say will drop the temp 20 degrees...
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Heat Stroke? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke?   Heat Stroke? Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2007, 9:02 pm

The pen sounds great.. Little stinker. Mine still have fuzz too. Chad is loosing his but his coat looks like you know what. Maybe a good body clipping for yours will do the trick? Those are always fun.. Dancing
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Heat Stroke? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke?   Heat Stroke? Icon_minitimeJuly 9th 2007, 4:14 am

little turd did it again Sunday this filly is giving me fits... she is even shedding if she plays at all in the heat she is a mess Sad she does love the hose though... we are going to my in laws for their 50th wedding anniversary this week and it looks like she and momma are going to the party too.. just can't bring myself to leave them with a sitter who wouldn't know what was going on and how to treat it or would check her hourly crips this filly is going to drive me to drink pale I can hardly wait till it gets over 100 and we get called to go to China guess she and momma get to spend a couple weeks at the vet clinic... that ought to be $$$$ isn't it great when your best horse is your biggest mess... my old trainer said the best ones and the ones that are hardest to keep alive long enough to get to the show ring at this rate she ought to be a million $ winner.
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Heat Stroke? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke?   Heat Stroke? Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2007, 9:49 am

If you want an old school sweat remedy - go to the grocery store, buy ginger root - take it home, boil it and then put it in her feed - works charms!

Its a lot cheaper than anything else and will sure as heck get one sweating like they should!!!!! Heat stroke is rough - cool water is the best thing (I've had to run a hose on a couple horses at the farm)...but ginger root (has to be boiled) will sure as heck get one to sweat!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Heat Stroke? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke?   Heat Stroke? Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2007, 10:27 am

she is at the vet clinic for the next 5 days they think she has an underlying case of pneumonia that is setting this off... they said if it was anhydrosis the hose should have worked in about 15 minutes but she didn't recover for about 2hrs... so on to the IV antibiotics and lots of lab work
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Heat Stroke? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke?   Heat Stroke? Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2007, 4:57 pm

Hmm - good luck!!!!

Its the girls that drive me NUTS!!!!! But oh how I love em!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Bluejay

Bluejay

Heat Stroke? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke?   Heat Stroke? Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2007, 2:56 pm

I hate these mystery things. scratch You just really do not know what to do with them. Sounds like the vet could be on to some thing though study Hope this works for her.. pray
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heat Stroke? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke?   Heat Stroke? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heat Stroke?
Page 1 of 1