Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Auction tonight

Go down 
+2
Cindy
Bucks&Blues
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Auction tonight Empty
PostSubject: Auction tonight   Auction tonight Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 1:19 am

I went to an auction tonight, and then remembered why I dont like that certain one in the first place.

This place is just a drop zone for unwanted horses. Now there are some good horses, just few and far between. It really makes life more real to see what banning horse slaughter has done to the horse market around here. It is jaw dropping to walk into that place.

There was this 12 year old QH w/papers ranch used gelding. It was the sickest most saddest thing I have personally seen. He was so darn skinny, that his butt cheeks didnt come close to touching. There was not one ounce of fat to be seen anywhere. It was so bad that his body had been feeding on what muscle was left, which was none. They werent even trying to sell him, they were giving him away for free. I wanted to load him up so bad. I knew he probably wouldnt have even lived through the night, but at least I would have made it comfortable for him. No one wanted him, and no one took him. I just may call tomorrow to see if he is still around.

There were some awesome bred halter babies that I would have bought. IF I had taken my checkbook, I would have had about five VERY nice halter babies for about $400 for all of them. NO JOKE. Out of World Champs and Res World champs. Lots of Conclusive, Coosa, KCS, Skipper W, and on and on.

The cow breds were not bringing much at all. I could have gotten a 2 yr old, started with 60 days prof training, for about $110. There were names like Hancock, Peppy San Badger, Peptoboonsmal, Dual Pep, Hollywood Dun It, Two Eyed Jack, Zippo Pine and many many more like that ON THE PAPERS and not far back either.

There were even some HUS or WP bred horses. Coats N Tails, Last Captive and another big one I cant remember.

These were all perfectly good horses with papers and training. I was literally kicking my own arse for not bringing the checkbook.

It was a regular sale, not a herd liquidation, or big breeder dispersal. There were still horses there that would have gone to the kill plant if it were still legal. They were going from about $40 - $85 AT THE MOST. Those were all underweight by about 500 - 600 lbs, lifeless, and unwanted by most.

That is my biggest thing with auctions. Horses that were neglected so long that they end up like that.

The QH ranch gelding I was talking about, was owned by a SHERIFFS POSSE MEMBER. He said he couldnt afford to take care of him anymore, and figured he would give him away before he died on his property. Very disturbing how non-chalant he was about the whole deal.

Sorry about the rant, but it irks me to see people starve their horses to nothing and then try to get rid of them.
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Auction tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auction tonight   Auction tonight Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 6:33 am

AH! I hate seeing horses like that and I can't stand it when the owner doesn't want to take responsibility for them either! Grrrrrrrr Evil or Very Mad
edited to add, did you read the article about unwanted horses in the newest America's Horse issue? They talked about the slaughter houses and the major overload of unwanted in the economy right now. sad, so sad.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Auction tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auction tonight   Auction tonight Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 9:08 am

Here's a little tip for ya, Bucks&Blues... next time, either get somebody to bring you the checkbook, or duck out and run and go get it and come right back. I've had to do that before.

The whole thing is so sad. Personally, I think they ought to go straight to all the humane societies that fought so hard in Texas to stop it. That's where they should've gone. There's just absolutely no reason to let a horse get to that before giving it away - should've already been done a long time ago.

What sale was this? I don't think you're all that far from Whitesboro. Their sale is every last Tuesday of the month.

And any of you that buys one of these horses that are extremely poor, make sure that you isolate them from the rest of your horses, till they're okay enough for shots to be given, and make danged sure, you wash your trailer out with Clorox BEFORE you use it again! And whatever they were in, needs to be Clorox'd big time!
Back to top Go down
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Auction tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auction tonight   Auction tonight Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 2:45 pm

The owner is the one that really got me peeved. He acted like it was the last thing that he had to worry about. He had other things that needed to be taken care of before his horse was fed. Evil or Very Mad .

This sale is a little hole in the wall barn. It is very small. But it is on Lawson Rd in Mesquite, or it could be considered Seagoville, not sure. I think its called Dallas County Horse Sale.

There ARE good, well cared for horses that run through, but there are still ALOT of the "killer type" horses too.

The people that fought so hard to completely ban slaughter, need to walk into these sale barns and start buying what others dont want. I was never against it, but the process was a little bohemian.

I think that this is just the beginning of something that will get out of control soon.
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871

Auction tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auction tonight   Auction tonight Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 5:02 pm

Sadly it's already happening. People are abandoning them and Sheriffs dept is having to pick them up. Down here if left unclaimed they go to the auction, if no one wants them at the auction I think they are euthanized.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

Auction tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auction tonight   Auction tonight Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 10:37 pm

OK, I hate even reading about this.. I do not go to auctions and do not take my horses to them either.. I love animals more then people and this really is too much for me.. This is just another testimate to crappy people.

OK, I have settled down now.. WHEW.. this stuff makes me cry pale Sad Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Neutral I cannot stand to see an animal miss treated..

The last auction I went to we were looking for a bull for our place.. The dairy farmers bring in these cows that have supported their butts and they are so full of milk they can hardly walk. Then you have these day old calves who have not had milk yet because they get yanked before they can nurse so we humans can all drink milk. Many of these calves die before they get home with whomever and the cows who have done all this work and devoted their lives to humans go to slaughter in pain.. affraid Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Sad I hate it.. My husband tells me I am no farmer.. OK. so I am not a farmer... SO WHAT... booty

OK, so I did not get over it.. I just do not go.. I cannot save them all so I stay away and take care of what I have.. I just want to take the human and RIP THEIR FACE OFF.. Whew.. nana

I just wish people would not treat animals in their care this way. Animals are better off in the wild to follow their instinks then get hooked up with some stupid human.

Of course not all humans are stupid. I do not drink milk by the way.. Yes, I eat cheese... Sorry.. I just had to vent.. Breaks my heart... I love you
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Auction tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auction tonight   Auction tonight Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 11:46 pm

I know exactly how you feel about certain humans. Some people shouldnt even own goldfish.

The owner of the extremely poor gelding, should have been met in the dark parking lot. I can tell you he didnt miss one meal, but his horse missed months or even a year of meals.

I am just waiting to hear all the rescues that fought tooth and nail to ban slaughter, start saying that they are full and overloaded and cant help anymore. When that happens, whats going to happen to all those unwanted horses?

I just got my Americas Horse Magazine and read an article on this same topic today. They made a good point, what happens to the horses when all the donations that they rely on run out? I believe they called it the Gravy Train, I could be wrong though. Companies only set aside so much for donations, and they cant supply all the rescues on a reguar basis.

I guess the big wigs in Washington, or Texas, wherever, didnt think that it would have a big impact on the market. Maybe I should organize a tour for them to show them what the fruits of the "moral decisions" are doing.

Does anyone know if PETA is rescuing the horses they fought so hard for?

Look at me, getting all fired up over something that I cant prevent...
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Auction tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auction tonight   Auction tonight Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2007, 9:30 am

Actually, the ones that shut it down for Texas were the humane societies. I wish there was another way to do it. The vets with USDA say it's not inhumane, but with horses, because they're our friends, we think otherwise.

As far as dairy... yep, I've seen that. Don't see that too prevalent around here, as they'll pull them at a certain age, and there's lots of babies that are all stuck together that are being fed - that's part of Trent's job at the dairy.

I know what they do with cows and pigs, which makes me sick every time I think about it... growing up, we had pet cows, and I can remember my sister always asking Mom... who are we eating tonight... used to make me and my other sister just sick to our stomach. It was real hard when Trent had a show steer, and we ended up eating the last one... kind of puts things in to perspective, but ....

If the states cracked down more on these owners that are not taking care of their animals, whether it be horses, cows or whatever, then some of that would stop. Giving them a fine for $200 isn't going to do it!

Bucks, I've heard of that sale before... In fact, Rick's cousin has bought a couple of really good rope horses from that particular auction. And you're right, at some point, the funding won't be there. And then you'll have those type of organizations squealing at the government for money to take care of them, which is our tax dollars... That's what irks me! I didn't have any say so about it - they decided it, people who in all likelihood, never even has owned a horse.

You watch... at some point, it'll be the cows, pigs and chickens coming up.

Tell ya a funny story on a csae I did with PETA... this will crack you up. It was on a laboratory of sorts, and they received cats, gased them, and then did some surgical stuff and then sent them off to medical colleges, etc. So PETA got a couple of guys in there... and PETA was saying that when they did the surgical stuff, that the cats weren't actually dead. After about 3 days of this stupid hearing, the Judge asks the question "Well, when you saw them doing this surgical procedure, was blood squirting out?" The guy says no. Boy, that Judge got super PO'd... called all the attorneys up to the bench, and chewed the USDA attorney up side down the wall, and then chewed on PETA's attorney and told them that she wasn't stupid, she knew that for something to still be alive and it gets cut on, there's going to be blood, because the heart's still pumping. Within 30 minutes, that case was over. And guess who paid for all that? Uh-huh, us TAXPAYERS! What a waste!
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Auction tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auction tonight   Auction tonight Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2007, 10:33 am

When I was showing Dairy heifers a while back now (prally 13yrs ago) we were at the State Fair.

All of our heifers were bedded about 1.5ft deep in straw that was meticulously cleaned and swept, each had a TON of hay in front of them. We left at night and had everything in perfect order... The next morning, ALL of our BODY CLIPPED heifers had STICKERS on their hips saying something along the lines of "I dont want to be a hamburger" or something similarly stupid...The MORONS used sticky glue that would NOT come off with every thing we put on it affraid
That year all of the DAIRY heifers at the show had big old spots on their hips where we had to pull their hair out to get the stickers off because the glue was burning their skin! pale

It was sad but also pretty funny since there were beef cattle in a barn over who didn't get touched! lol! Dang PETA! People also always thought our "poor cows" hated being tied up and were skinny because of it - these were dairy cows...made me chuckle! Seriously, if I had to choose what to come back as - a show cow/bull would be somewhere at the top of my list!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
7cedars

Auction tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auction tonight   Auction tonight Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2007, 7:39 pm

Ooweee, there'd be a hanging if somebody did that here at our local Yamboree show... oowee! Course half the kids sleep up with their animals... I'd like to see somebody slipping in amongst them - course they lock everything up at night, which that's good.
Back to top Go down
natmarie1122

natmarie1122

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2007-04-03

Auction tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auction tonight   Auction tonight Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2007, 9:30 pm

Yeah I just absolutely hate seeing horses like that.

There is a man in the Evansville area who is getting all of his horses taken away. Around 100 of 'em. Said they were all malnourished, running loose together, stallions with mares, inbred and such. It makes me feel awful to know that some place that close doesn't take care of their horses... makes me sick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Auction tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auction tonight   Auction tonight Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Auction tonight
Page 1 of 1