Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Surprise, Surprise.......

Go down 
+9
reiningfan
shazgeoff
Triple J Quarter Horses
Bluejay
QHorse163
Cindy
Mare
stockman
Merikle Waters
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Surprise, Surprise....... Empty
PostSubject: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2007, 8:51 pm

So after being on foal watch for a bit there, and praying for the last ever foal from my poor foundered mare to be my dream one, saying it will be a colt, bucksin tobiano, 4 high whites, and a star and a snip (We all guess what colors etc the foals will be)..... and we head off to the show..... With a non so horsey cousin watching the place...

and POOF. literally made to order..... I will now introduce Dallas AKA Milleniums Legacy, our next stallion prospect. Buckskin Tobiano Colt, 4 high whites, 2 1/2 blue eyes, a star and a snip......

Surprise, Surprise....... Dallashead

Surprise, Surprise....... Dallas2

Surprise, Surprise....... Dallas

He is a little small, and although about a week overdue, I would say that he is actually "premature" for his mother. Remember she had twins last year, a month overdue, and I do believe this colt is almost smaller than the twins.

Sorry... I am quite proud, and amazed..... lol and all in a busy weekend!
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2007, 8:57 pm

Congratulations!! He's darling!! Love the eyes!! He looks tall to me. Mom looks tired laying there , I'm sure she's glad her job is done, that must have been hard on her.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2007, 2:27 am

stockman wrote:
Congratulations!! He's darling!! Love the eyes!! He looks tall to me. Mom looks tired laying there , I'm sure she's glad her job is done, that must have been hard on her.

LOL he's TINY! His back is below my belly button by quite a bit! His dam is skinny at the moment, and is around 14.1 or so, and he fits under her flank, and can almost fit under her heart girth......

Mom is quite tired, but her feet hurt. she went down hill in the winter months, and an abcess just threw it over board....

Poor little gaffer is tiny, but thriving. however it worries me, because he wants to lay under neath her? dont know why.... but I am worried he will be squashed as she lays down a couple times a day..... what if she doesnt see him>? I'm so paranoid because this little baby is extra special to me, it will be all I have left of her...Sad

His legs are a bit windswept (she carries very tightly), but I know this should straighten up... and I have heard of this, but never experienced it.... he cocks his head sideways a bit, and carries it like that while he walks..... is this just because of the cramped space in her uterus?

lol I am sooooo paranoid....
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2007, 9:03 am

I had a stud colt this year with wind swept legs. The vet said it happens in older mares and its from how the foal was laying in there. He had me keep him in a stall for 2 weeks and his legs straighten up. I had never seen wind swept legs before either. He's a cutie, Congrats!!!
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2007, 12:22 pm

So cute! congrats! cheering
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2007, 2:35 pm

Mare wrote:
I had a stud colt this year with wind swept legs. The vet said it happens in older mares and its from how the foal was laying in there. He had me keep him in a stall for 2 weeks and his legs straighten up. I had never seen wind swept legs before either. He's a cutie, Congrats!!!

I've had windswept foals, but never had one that cocked its head sideways..... ? and this mare is only 12, second baby, but its because of how tight she carries. Although this colt is small, she barely looked pregnant.

The dam is on stall rest for her life, so the foal when about a month old or so will be taken out on walks without her. so for right now, he has the small space to straighten those legs up.
Back to top Go down
QHorse163

QHorse163

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2007, 7:31 pm

Very cute! Congrats! So lucky to get exactly what you wanted! Smile
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2007, 10:34 pm

Cute baby. I hope mama feels better.. bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2007, 8:14 pm

Bluejay wrote:
Cute baby. I hope mama feels better.. bounce

Thank you blue jay.... I hope she does as well. She is very happy to have this baby, but I truly hope she starts to feel better.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2007, 9:28 pm

She is a true mommy feeling better with that baby.. ily

Good to keep her nutrition high and her weight down. study

You know there is a great story about a horse who's mother was so foundered her colt learned to nurse when she was laying down. There was a spot in the fence he could go through to play with the other foals. The dam and colt are very famouse QH.. Champions in fact.. HUM, maybe you have heard of them. The dam was Poco Lena and the colt was Doc O'Lena. mbs nana

You can read about them in legends 3 and 4. It will warm your heart and make you cry.. You just never know what will come of things.. coffee
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2007, 12:42 am

Bluejay wrote:
She is a true mommy feeling better with that baby.. ily

Good to keep her nutrition high and her weight down. study

You know there is a great story about a horse who's mother was so foundered her colt learned to nurse when she was laying down. There was a spot in the fence he could go through to play with the other foals. The dam and colt are very famouse QH.. Champions in fact.. HUM, maybe you have heard of them. The dam was Poco Lena and the colt was Doc O'Lena. mbs nana

You can read about them in legends 3 and 4. It will warm your heart and make you cry.. You just never know what will come of things.. coffee

of course I know of them! lol, gotta love doc o lena! But I have never read that story.... and own the book... but I know what I will be reading tonight! Very Happy Thanks blue jay!

I know that an injured mare at work will lay flat out and lift her leg so the foal can nurse... just wish my mare would do that!

This coltie passed his colostrum test... but we are worried about his knees and the head tilt he has going on.... The knees we will take radiographs of to make sure he doesnt have a certain condition (The vet told me the name of it, and I already forget, but it was thyroid something or rather lol), and run risk of crushing his knees..... and the head tilt... well we will have to wait and see. But I sure am glad I saved that colostrum and gave it to him! Not sure if he would have passed without it!

This mare actually tried to bite me today when messing with her foal for the vet to check him out.... she never does that! But she sure loves her baby!
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2007, 9:14 am

Make sure you keep us up dated on this cute guy. Glad to hear he has put alittle shine back into momma's eye.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2007, 10:14 am

Bless her heart. She came threw for you. He's sooo Colorful. Just love those new borns, they are so soft and sooo white. Hes a cutie.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2007, 10:43 am

Have you read the story yet? Did you cry like I did? Hard to imagine how something like that could happen to such a horse..

Momma trying to bite you sounds like she may be feeling a little better.. I think once the colt gets stronger he may come out of that.. Not sure since I have never been through it before. I did have a mare do the head tilting thing and walk sideways. She had an ear infection. We treated her and she is fine.. doggie
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2007-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2007, 11:23 am

awww he a cutie,look at those fluffy ears
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2007, 12:17 pm

he's sooo cute. I'm a big buckskin fan.
Back to top Go down
RoperChick

RoperChick

Number of posts : 181

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2007, 3:09 pm

Congratulations, what a cutie!! It so cool you got exactly what you ordered! Very Happy Looking forward to seeing more pictures (hint, hint).
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2007, 5:21 pm

What a cutie pie he is. Never fails, as soon as you leave the house, they have 'em! Onery mares!

It doesn't look like anything's wrong to him to me at all... looks totally normal, course I'm not there, so I'm taking your word for it.

Yep, my old cutting horse mare, she'd do the same thing... she'd be all laid out, and her babies would still figure out where din/din was... she was a super special mare!
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 3:43 am

Thanks for all the compliments everyone.... I am quite tickled pink that I got EXACTLY what I ordered... heck I'm still shocked when I see him...

He's still got the head tilt.... but the vet says it can be from neurological issues, inner ear issues, or just a kink of somekind in his neck from the womb or being born. If it is just a kink, he should be out of it by a couple weeks... But I am talking to a vet about getting a equine chiro to look at him.

Because he is an extra special foal, I worry extra for him.... Its hard not to.

The good news is he is healthy (atleast as far as I and the vet can tell), and vibrant cheers ... and man is he such a sweetie... wanders, crooked head and all up to me to give me kisses... Laughing

I just hope he continues to get stronger, and Grow grow grow! and all I can really do is pray that his head tilt is simply a pinched nerve that will correct itself......

Since you asked... here are some pics I took today.... One of them hopefully will show you how small he truly is... he's smaller than he twin last year! Under 8 HH! And you can really see the head tilt in some of these pics.... My vet said he is the cutest she has seen so far! LOL

Surprise, Surprise....... Dallaslayin

Surprise, Surprise....... DallasandKrissy

Surprise, Surprise....... DallasRunnin
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 9:24 am

Awww...
Put him in a box and ship him here!!!!!!!!!!
I want him!!!

My babies will prally never be fun colored....oh well!

He's adorable!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Bellablue

Bellablue

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2007-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 8:38 pm

He is so cute!!! I hope his tilty head isn't anything to worry about! How is mom doing?
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2007, 12:57 pm

He is just too gosh darned cute!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 12:26 am

lol, I have a bit of an update, momma is doing well, and the head tilt seems to be getting less and less severe every day! Hopefully it will dissapear!

I was changing the bandage on his momma's foot tonight, and he was up in my face giving me kisses (I was sitting next to his moms leg to wrap and clean it), just being a sweetie.... If everything goes as planned, I think I will have the perfect little stud colt!
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 5:02 pm

I'm so glad to hear things are going good. Its gonna be fun to watch this little guy grow. So keep the pics coming so we don't miss out on anything. He is such a doll!!
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 9:55 pm

My best brood mare's foals are always small. They take off since mom has such yummy milk. And a lot of it. She also lets them in on the grain.. cheering

The fact he is small has no bearing on how he will turn out.. The mare I mentioned who has small babies.. All her babies are in the top numbers at futruity.. $$$$ She just pops them out little. Kinda like a big dogs. doggie lol! I expect it from her. She has given me 9 foals. All in top ten and money earners at the weanling futurity.

Make sure if moms milk is not like a cow you creep him. He will take off.. riding
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surprise, Surprise.......   Surprise, Surprise....... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Surprise, Surprise.......
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: Nursery-
Jump to: