Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HEnderson, TX

Go down 
+2
LovingLoping
denibun
6 posters
AuthorMessage
denibun

Number of posts : 638
Registration date : 2007-02-08

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2007, 3:14 pm

Any of you Texas people live near Henderson TX??

Denise
Back to top Go down
LovingLoping

Number of posts : 115

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2007, 3:19 pm

I'm 4 hours away. It's close to Nacogdoches, FYI to the other TX people.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2007, 3:19 pm

Yep, kinda sorta... whatcha got? It's on the other side of Kilgore. Anybody ever heard of the infamous Kilgore Rangerettes?

I'm about oh, maybe a little over an hour from Henderson... if you look at the map, I'm in Gilmer.
Back to top Go down
denibun

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2007, 3:32 pm

Don't worry about it. You're too far. There's a lady there that has a horse that she is trying to find a home for. It's a 15 yr old paint gelding that's supposed to have lots of points, etc. except he foundered and had an abscess on his neck from a bute injection. He has been turned out to pasture for the past year and is recovered...still needs special shoes, etc. SHe sent me a show picture, but says he is not in show shape right now. If anyone lived right around Henderson, I was gonna see if someone would have a look for me, but you're too far. HEre's the show picture she sent me:

HEnderson, TX Jet
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2007, 4:49 pm

Sheila is probably the closest.... scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
denibun

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2007, 4:51 pm

Anybody know a Janet Conway? That's the name of the lady who has the horse for sale.

Denise
Back to top Go down
LovingLoping

Number of posts : 115

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2007, 5:27 pm

Ok, actually, that name sounds really familiar. Any clues to help me?

Then again, I've heard just a *few* names called out at horse shows!
Back to top Go down
denibun

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2007, 5:40 pm

Okay, this lady is a school teacher. She raises "cow horses". I think she said they have 40 horses at this time. This gelding belonged to a friend of hers whose daughter no longer wanted to show. She traded a couple of weanlings for him and in the trade, he was left with a trainer because this woman had a bad accident and was hospitalized for a few weeks. The gelding got a bad shoe job and the trainer gave him IV bute but blew the vein and the gelding got an abscess in his neck. He also foundered mildly during this time period. He has been turned out for a year and is being ridden again now...has to have special shoes, but other than that is doing well. She says he has APHA points I think in WP but I can't remember. She's not wanting alot for him because of the health issues. He is 15. What do you think? Steer clear or investigate further?

denise
Back to top Go down
7cedars

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2007, 6:14 pm

Denibun, if you want me to go look at him this weekend, I can. Just say the word. I'm up for a horsey trip!!!! Not that big of a deal.

Has anybody said anything about him being in Dan Brown's barn or anything like that? If it is, I know what happened - sounds familiar!

But I can go down there watch him being ridden, try to get you some pics, and Rick and I both can tell if he's lame or not.... and what the deal is.

Also, for question sake... ask them who the vet is that's been tending to him. If it's Rob Thoni, you're good to go...he's a great vet, and he's in Kilgore.

As far as the abscess on his neck... I don't know if you remember but that happened to Kid last year and it was HUGE! He has no scar, just a bit of a bump that you have to exactly know where you're looking to be able to see it... so that may be fixable!

Just say the word... I'LL GO! Just tell me what you want me to look for, and I'll give you the feedback. The girl's name doesn't sound familiar, but I've been out of showing paints for a while now...
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2007, 6:29 pm

I don't know. It's a gamble but he looks very tempting and it might be just what you need at this time, He's still reasonably young and if you can get him shaped up you have lots of years. That would be excellent if 7cedars would look at him for you. You can't get a better eye looking out for you there! He is gorgeous and good training usually comes right back even after a year off.
Back to top Go down
denibun

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2007, 11:39 am

Thanks Cedars! I need more information before I check it out further. The lady is going to send me some current pics and she sent me the vets # to call and I'm waiting on the haulers to get back with me. If all that is a pass, then I might have you take a look.

denise
Back to top Go down
7cedars

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2007, 8:01 am

You just let me know - no problemo... I'll be more than happy to go down and take a look see.

I'm going to tell you straight up though... you find out if he's been at Dan Brown or Joe Frank Brown's barn... if he has, that's part of the problem! A friend of mine had a WC paint mare, she died (the lady did), and she gave the horse to another friend. The friend sold the danged mare for $50,000 to some idgits, who left the mare down at Dan's... the next year, they showed (tried) at the world show, and the judges excused the little girl... because she wsa lame... now if you don't think that was a big broohah! WHEW!

If the vet's name is Rob Thoni... when you call and talk to Rob, tell him you're a friend of Sheila Orms, that I'm going to come and have a look see... tell Rob if you find out that this horse has been at Dan or Joe Frank Brown's place, that you need any x-rays that's been taken!!!!! And ask who the blasted farrier is. If it's one certain farrier, I'm thinking trouble. If not, then I think you're good to go. But I know Rob doesn't like this one certain farrier I'm thinking about....

So you just let me know. If I need to, when I go down there, if you'll go ahead and make an appointment with Rob, I'll take the horse up to him and let him give me the good and bad and I'll call ya. If you think the horse would be better waiting and sitting with me till somebody picks him up, that's fine, you just let me know....
Back to top Go down
denibun

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2007, 10:07 am

Cedars- The vet was Drs Vancil/Hellerich from North Creek Vet Clinic. I have a call in to them. THe farrier is Leigh Baron from North Oak TX. I have also left a message there. I am not sure. THe lady said he was completely sound. He foundered about a year ago, but is supposedly completely sound now, but then in further conversation, she said he'd only been ridden a little so that would worry me. I'd hate to replace my current lame horse with another lame horse.

Denise
Back to top Go down
denibun

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2007, 11:15 am

Okay. The vet called me back. The horse a reaction to a badly given banamine injection a year ago. The tissue around the injection site all sloughed off. He was very sick, became septic. This is what caused the founder. She said he did have some rotation and would always need to be in "therapeutic shoes." She said she talked to the owner yesterday and the owner said he's been turned out to pasture and hasn't been trimmed or shod since the fall. So, the vet says she'd hate to see what his feet look like right now. She also said that further rotation could have occurred due to not having proper foot care. She said if we decide to proceed, she would be glad to do an exam or she understood if I wanted someone else to do it. But, she said definitely get one done. She also said that even with a prepurchase exam, there's no way to tell for sure that he'll be sound for regular riding. So, I'm voting no. What do you guys think?

Denise
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2007, 11:26 am

I don't think I'd trust an owner who turned out a special needs shoeing case since the fall without even trimming or shoeing him! She's not making much of an effort to help rehabilitate her horse and now maybe she's just dumping him on somebody else. He really sounds like he was an amazing horse but you are already dealing with lameness issues with Nick. I'd say pass.
Back to top Go down
denibun

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2007, 11:33 am

Thanks stockman. THat's what I'm thinking too. Sad
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2007, 1:09 pm

stupid owners.... my hubby has done quite a bit of theraputic shoeing and you can take pretty serious founder cases and have them back to riding and sound in 6months to a year if you care.... sounds like they just don't give a damn... GRRRR
Back to top Go down
7cedars

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2007, 6:01 pm

Denibun, I know Leigh Baron, he used to do my horses a long time ago... I didn't even think he was still doing it. Sounds like to me, that all she had to do was call Leigh and he would've fixed him up.

Does this horse have a price tag or is he a freebie?

I guess you have two options here, pass or let the vet look at him. And if it was an iffy situation, because I'm not sure where you're at... we could even bring him back here and either me or Rick can ride him every day and see how he holds up, take him back or whatever...

I do know there's a whale of a horse shoer in the next town, but you darned near have to take horses to him. I know how bad he is at this point, but all of this is still an option.

Did you find out if Dan or Joe Frank Brown had anything to do with this horse? And I just thought of something... was it Leigh that gave him the shot to begin with? Oh, criminey!!!!!

I've never heard of that vet, and truthfully, I don't even know where the heck that is that she's located at...

But if you need me to go, just say the word; if not, boy, do I totally understand!!!!!
Back to top Go down
denibun

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2007, 9:38 pm

Thanks, but I'm just gonna pass. The lady wants $1500 for him which is alot less than he was worth prior to the problems, but I told her with all Nick's vet expenses and me needing to get Rachel something to ride for sure, I'm not willing to take a $1500 risk. He's apparently pasture sound, but there's just no way to know if he could handle being ridden consistently. Thanks again for all the input.

denise
Back to top Go down
7cedars

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2007, 2:39 pm

I totally agree. Now, if it was $500, that'd be another deal... I might have to steal him... HA! But if she's not willing to take care of his feet through the Fall, well, too bad for her! Dang, I hate when people don't take care of stuff -- aggravates the living snot out of me!
Back to top Go down
denibun

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2007, 3:29 pm

I did tell her that if she couldn't sell him and wanted to place him, I'd pay the shipping to get him here.

denise
Back to top Go down
7cedars

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2007, 7:32 pm

If it gets to that point, you let me know, and we'll go and take a lookie looh....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HEnderson, TX Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEnderson, TX   HEnderson, TX Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HEnderson, TX
Page 1 of 1