Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
CatB

CatB

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Empty
PostSubject: Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!   Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2007, 9:01 am

I noticed last week that my easy-going mare has started letting her yearling filly nurse, although, this mare is open and has no milk. The mare was moved off the farm for two months last fall and kept separated from the weanling for another 4 months, so it seems a little strange the filly has just recently started this back up. The mare's udder is starting to get chafed, too! The filly is grained and supplemented every day and there's plenty of pasture, so it's not a matter of being hungry. I would separate them again, but we just reseeded our rotation pasture and don't want to put anything on it for a while. I'm hoping if the mare gets sore enough, she'll put an end to it. The filly doesn't get upset when the mare's ridden away or anything, so I'm not concerned that the weaning process will have to start all over again, but enough is enough!

What to do (if anything)? Question
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!   Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2007, 10:02 am

Mix vasoline with died Cyan Pepper and rub it on her udder. Won't hurt momma, but sure will taste nasty!
Back to top Go down
CatB

CatB

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!   Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2007, 10:13 am

LOL! Yes, I thought about putting Tobasco sauce on the mare.

Do you think the hot stuff will sting the chafed spots?
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!   Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2007, 10:25 am

The hot sause will, but not the mix.
Back to top Go down
CatB

CatB

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!   Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2007, 10:38 am

Okay, then, I'll give it try!
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!   Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2007, 5:18 pm

hey Cat let me know how that works.... have that happen every once in a while... right now momma of my paint colt just weaned him poor little guy he didn't even get a full 3 months but he eats creep really well and isn't suffering at all.
Back to top Go down
CatB

CatB

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!   Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2007, 5:19 pm

Will do!

I swear Sass would let a litter of pups nurse off her - she loves all things baby. haha!
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!   Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2007, 5:28 pm

I know that feeling I let Pheobe and Niki and their foals out together once in a while but Niki will let but babies nurse now that Pheobe has weaned Gunner can't do that too worried about poor Tessa.... how are you doing with all the flooding??? I saw there was a lot of evacuations up your way. We lost someone who drove onto a flooded road and died in our county man it is way flooded here!
Back to top Go down
CatB

CatB

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!   Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2007, 5:32 pm

We missed out on the really nasty stuff, other than a tornado warning the previous week. Just loads of rain - we had 4 inches Sunday to Monday.

I keep threatening my husband with fencing off the driveway and turning the horses into the yard - he hasn't been able to mow for ages. Our lawn looks like a fertilized hayfield and I hate for all that grass to go to waste! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!   Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2007, 5:40 pm

I just recently put my dun mare in with her now 8 month old colt... and guess what i caught him doing?? lol, So thank you for bringing up this topic! I will try it. For now, I sent her in with the stud to be bred, so that sure cut it short! LOL

It was hilarious, she figured he was scratching her! lol
Back to top Go down
CatB

CatB

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!   Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2007, 4:44 pm

I tried the petroleum jelly and cayenne pepper. It may have worked, because I haven't seen Gidget even attempt to nurse since using it. I'll continue to keep an eye out.
And just for fun, here's Gidget and her first saddling. LOL!! Not the best pic, as my daughter was manning the camera. I need to update pics for all the horses. Don't anyone make fun of my barn attire, either!
lol!

Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Gidget4-07-1
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!   Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2007, 7:08 pm

she is so pretty and looking so grown up!!
Back to top Go down
QHorse163

QHorse163

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!   Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2007, 1:18 pm

Gidget is so cute! Smile Although she looks less than pleased with having to wear a saddle! lol.
Back to top Go down
CatB

CatB

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!   Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2007, 1:23 pm

Thanks, guys! She was definitely trying to figure out if it was friend or foe. haha!

She's a really good-natured girl in general. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!   Enough with the Nursemaid, Already! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Enough with the Nursemaid, Already!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: Nursery-
Jump to: