Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WP and Horsemanship Hands

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kate and Paint

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2007-02-08

WP and Horsemanship Hands Empty
PostSubject: WP and Horsemanship Hands   WP and Horsemanship Hands Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2007, 11:19 am

OK. Im having this debate with myself on whether or not I should ride one-handed in the Rodeo Queen Competition. Im not perfect riding one-handed, because Pinto is not too much of a neck-reiner. So I want to know does it look tacky riding with 2 hands? Im pretty sure there is no rule on how your hands have to be, but I want to know what will appeal to the judges more. For practice, I havent really ridden the pattern 1 handed in the arena, but at home I lope circles and practice with the opposite hand to get better at it. What do you guys think? Would it look OK to ride 2-handed or should I ride with only 1?....
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/all_texas_cowgirl
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: WP and Horsemanship Hands   WP and Horsemanship Hands Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2007, 12:19 pm

I have no clue as to how they judge rodeo queen comptetitions! If they are run in the manner as a horsemanship class, you would have to ride one-handed with an older horse out of the bosal or snaffle. If there are no rules on riding two handed and it will make a prettier pattern I would ride that way but there is an almost 100% chance they would place you below an equally good rider riding one handed. I would love to hear about the results of this competition. I don't believe they have them around here.
Back to top Go down
Kate and Paint

PostSubject: Re: WP and Horsemanship Hands   WP and Horsemanship Hands Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2007, 4:41 pm

Thanks for the thoughts Very Happy . Yeah, it does run exactly as a horsemanship class. You ride a pettern in the arena. You have things like lead changes and pivots and all that good stuff. Laughing . Then, afterwards, theres a WP class in the arena. Then, we get to write speeches. 60% is judged on riding, 20% on speech, 10% on interview ( a small time when judges ask you 2 questions ) and 10% on looks ( how u groom ur horse and if you turn out neatly ).
Back to top Go down
All Hot Chocolate

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: WP and Horsemanship Hands   WP and Horsemanship Hands Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2007, 5:54 pm

Since it is judged like a HMS class, it depends on the age of your horse. If you horse is a Junior, (under 5) Then it is acceptable to ride 2-handed, as long as you have a snaffle. If he is a senior, (6 and up) then you must use a shank bit, and use 1 hand. Now, these are by the AQHA rules, If it is an AQHA judge, they will more then likely use those rules, but, if its just an open type thingey, then they probalby won't think much about it.

Personally, I think it is prettier to ride 1 handed and have your free hand up, (like holding a coffee cup). But thats JMPO.

If you decide to ride 2 handed, practice at home holding them correctly. The girls in my 4-h club ride 2 handed, and they hold them wayyyy out, making them lean foward, and start bouncing. just make sure you keep them back, just like you would if you were ridding 1 handed.

Hope this helps! If you want me to cut and paste what the AQHA rule book has to say about the 2-handed/snaffle/shank bit/Jr. Sr. stuff, just LMK.

Jordan
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: WP and Horsemanship Hands   WP and Horsemanship Hands Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2007, 5:51 pm

I'm willing to bet, they'll judge you on your ability to control your horse with one hand.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Kate and Paint

PostSubject: Re: WP and Horsemanship Hands   WP and Horsemanship Hands Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2007, 3:11 pm

Okay, so I went to practice last night and realized all the girls except for me and one other, are riding with two hands. I saw that the other girl wasnt the best in the group, and me with one hand was just as good as everyone else who rode with two! So, I guess I have a pretty good shot at winning this year. My riding is getting a LOT better than it was last year. Ive gotten a lot of compliments on Pinto too, so Im really proud! Very Happy Very Happy sunny Yea.... now I just have to write a KILLER speech to clean it up.
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: WP and Horsemanship Hands   WP and Horsemanship Hands Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2007, 4:06 pm

Sounds great! ! I want to hear all about it with pictures of course!! Do you just wear show clothes or fancy rodeo queen stuff? My only experience with this is that one page in the Hobby Horse catalog that has alll the rodeo queen apparel LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: WP and Horsemanship Hands   WP and Horsemanship Hands Icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2007, 9:48 am

So what happened??? Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WP and Horsemanship Hands   WP and Horsemanship Hands Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WP and Horsemanship Hands
Page 1 of 1