Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HHHEEELLLPPP

Go down 
+3
denibun
Cindy
Mare
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 2:46 pm

OK MY BABIES JUST STARTED WITH THE FOAL SQUIRTS. WHAT TRICKS DO YOU HAVE UP YOUR SLEAVES TO STOP THEM. I'M CONSTANTLY WASHING BUTTS. LOOKS REALLY NICE ON AN ALL WHITE BUM. SO ANY IDEAS I WOULD APPRECIATE. THANKS
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 2:48 pm

Is this their foal heat?
You can put desitin on their butts to help keep it from scalding.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Mare

Mare

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 2:55 pm

Yes its the foal heat. I was just wondering if there is something you can give them so they dont get the squirts. I was told at one time pro-bias but I really never had much luck with it. The filly loves to be washed but the colt is another story. We probably look like the WWF wrestling.
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 3:11 pm

I know the probiotics can stop the scours from happening, but I'm not sure once it starts if there is anything you can give them to stop it.
Lynn, 7 cedars, Triple J, Bluejay?????? They may know! What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
denibun

Number of posts : 638
Registration date : 2007-02-08

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 3:49 pm

kaopectate 30-60 cc's twice daily
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 4:56 pm

our vet proscribes liquid pepto bismol! lol, just make sure you get it in the foals mouth and not all over you... unless you like pink Laughing

We give plain yogurt for probiotics, and my vet said to use that as well.

vaseline their bums, it wont scald their butt as bad!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 6:02 pm

Bluejay and TripleJ (but she's sick) gives their something. I've just always given them liquid peptobismol. The new mare that came yesterday, I need to give her baby some tonight....

Red's baby oh, when he was about 30 days got it, didn't get it on the foal heat, but boy, he got it bad. I'm about to the point of agreeing with Bluejay that it's when the young'uns start eating... it just happens to occur around the same time as a foal heat, which I'd always thought it was, too.... so I guess, uh, well, Bluejay was right..... HA!
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 7:19 pm

have they been wormed? if not that will cause scours really bad too... after you worm then try "bacto vite plus" smells yummy and the babies love the taste... will clear it right up. don't wash the bottom with anything stronger than Ivory or the soap will burn as well- just vaseline...
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 11:19 pm

The mares were wormed, I will have to try some of these ideas. Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2007, 10:52 am

I hate butt washing. I started using a paste when they are born called Rejuvination. It also has colostrum in it.. That has put an end to butt washng for me. affraid

I used pepto (about 35cc) and vasaline to protect that little hiny.. Worming is also a great idea.. You can start worming your foal at 1 month.. Do not use Quest for this. You can overdoes them with that.. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2007, 10:13 am

my vet has us start worming our foals with ivercide at 1 week it turns off any scours right then and there...
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2007, 11:02 am

Lynn, that is so cool and that is what I will start doing.. I am a big believer in the differences the worming does for a horse... I didn't know you could do it that young.. It makes good sense to me though.. mbs

I will still use the Rejuvination though. It has the colostrum in it and all the goodies that get the little guts working right away.. Makes me feel a little more secure when they have it. rose
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2007, 11:05 am

I need to try that Rejuviation sounds like good stuff will have to have some next year...
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitimeMay 5th 2007, 9:18 pm

I like the rejuvination for security that they get that colostrum. I have not cleaned a behind for a few years now.. We used to use pepto and wash about three times a day and vasaline or desitin.. What a mess... Of course you do get a little training in when you are doing this.. lol! ...

I know what pepto does to me if I take too much.. Works and turns your poo black and can constipate you.. The last thing you need is a foal that is not pooping.. No

I am sure you find that much of what you do for people can apply to the horses and other animals.. I have found that to be true anyway.. I used to work in EMS.. coffee
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitimeMay 6th 2007, 9:42 am

The butt cleaning is done now but next year its time to try some new ideas.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitimeMay 6th 2007, 11:02 am

YEA... lol! I have tried just about everything.. The Rejuvination has worked best for me.. It cost about $13.00 a tube. But really worth it since it does offer some colostrom as well. This year I put a full tube in the foal before it even got up.. I was a little nervouse about those directions. It did work. In the furture I will use that and then worm when they are a week old.. Hopefully I will never have to wash a behind again... cheering kitty pray
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HHHEEELLLPPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HHHEEELLLPPP   HHHEEELLLPPP Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HHHEEELLLPPP
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: Nursery-
Jump to: