Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Headstall vs. Bit

Go down 
+2
CantJog
CatB
6 posters
AuthorMessage
CatB

CatB

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2007, 10:13 am

Hi, there -

Got a question about show bridles. I've got a one-ear show headstall (I know, two ears are the trend these days, but I got it for free with my saddle Smile ). I want to use it on a young horse to do w/t 3 and under in the local circuit. I was told that you can't use those sort of headstalls with snaffle bits because they'll slip. What about using it with a full-cheek snaffle, or are those not kosher either, especially for showing? What about with a lose leather curb strap? I really want to use the headstall, but my girl isn't ready for a curb bit, yet. Thanks.

Cathleen
Back to top Go down
CantJog

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-03-29

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2007, 2:52 pm

How would they slip?

I have never seen or heard of that before scratch Thats all everyone I know's work headstalls are with the snaffles. The leather chin strap helps to prevent the bit slipping through the mouth while tied around? But if that was to happen while riding, they dont need to be shown, LOL!

You will be fine Smile
Back to top Go down
CatB

CatB

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2007, 3:00 pm

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Not sure where my friend got her information, but I wasn't quite in the know to debate!
Back to top Go down
B1

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2007, 4:36 pm

CantJog wrote:
How would they slip?

I have never seen or heard of that before scratch Thats all everyone I know's work headstalls are with the snaffles. The leather chin strap helps to prevent the bit slipping through the mouth while tied around? But if that was to happen while riding, they dont need to be shown, LOL!

You will be fine Smile

I assumed she meant slip as in "slip off the head". When you lift up on a snaffle it will push the whole headstall up.... riding in a single or double ear you run the risk of the headstall pushing up and right off the horses head. Unless the horse is pretty broke I wouldn't ride in a snaffle with anything other than a browband. A shanked snaffle is a different story, that is as safe as any curb bit to use with a single/double ear headstall.
Back to top Go down
CatB

CatB

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2007, 4:47 pm

Hmmm, that's probably what she meant. Gad, wouldn't want my bridle coming off in the middle of a class. Shocked

Darn, wanted to ride two handed AND use my new bridle! We're just starting on the concept of neckreining, so I'll have to see how the month goes and maybe try her in a mild curb.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2007, 6:02 pm

That's the most funniest thing I've ever heard of. Rick's favorite bridle for breaking colts with a snaffle is a one-ear... go figure. Never came off in all these years.
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2007, 6:20 pm

I've had it happen before! I'm a firm believer in breaking a horse with with a headstall that has a throatlatch & browband. affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
CatB

CatB

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2007, 9:16 am

I've always used a headstall w/browband & throatlatch strap or a split-ear w/throatlatch strap when I start colts in a snaffle. This is my first nekkid headstall. Laughing

Probably what I'll do is swap the single ear on the show bridle for a browband/throatlatch (so I at least keep a little of the bling) - just to be on the safe side. I don't think my filly will give me any trouble, but I'd hate to make a show faux pas. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
CantJog

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-03-29

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2007, 6:30 pm

7cedars wrote:
That's the most funniest thing I've ever heard of. Rick's favorite bridle for breaking colts with a snaffle is a one-ear... go figure. Never came off in all these years.

Exactly, LOL! Ive seen some pretty rank ones ridden, doing a lot of pulling and pushing, and have never seen a headstall come off?
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2007, 9:35 pm

Hmmmmmm. Maybe mine was just loose. Oh well. rabbit
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
B1

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2007, 8:43 am

Cindy wrote:
Hmmmmmm. Maybe mine was just loose. Oh well. rabbit

I saw it happen to a rather prominent trainer.... horse shook it's head at just the right time and off came the headstall. This wasn't a wild rank horse or anything either (obviously or it wouldn't have been at a show).
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2007, 9:47 am

Hmm...all of the cutters I rode as babies started in a 1 ear snaffle...and all the babies that I break get started the same way...my fiancee starts everyone in a racing bridle (brow band & throat)...I just like the one ear because it is easy to get on and off...
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
B1

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2007, 10:09 am

Kidd wrote:
I just like the one ear because it is easy to get on and off...

that basically says it all.
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2007, 10:41 am

LOL - yeah, I guess you're right...I was thinking more in the "2yo tossing head and only having to loop one thing over or pull one thing off" sort of way...I've NEVER had one loose a bridle...and I've had some rank babies...

As long as i've got my two wrinkles at their mouth I know its on! I think the biggest problem is people ride snaffles too loose and don't realize they are supposed to fit in a mouth differently than any other bit...and I think because it is such an easy bit on most horses people do not adjust their bridles which is just stupid!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
QHorse163

QHorse163

Number of posts : 311

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2007, 5:27 pm

I saw it happen at Congress a couple years ago, lol. With a bosal, in one of the snaffle bit futurities. I didn't notice what type of headstall it was, but it's not really that unusual for one to shake off. Sometimes they figure out if they shake their head the right way, the bridle comes off. Wink

That said, if you feel comfortable showing in it, then go right ahead. There are no rules against it as far as I know. Smile I've seen it happen where it comes off but really not too often.
Back to top Go down
CatB

CatB

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2007, 10:45 am

I'll be trying it out at home a few times. I really don't think we'll have a problem, Josie is pretty sensible.

Now, on to my next question. Smile I'd like to use the full-cheek snaffle I've been using on her to show - it's got a copper mouth and I really like it. However, if no one uses full-cheeks, I can swap out an o-ring from one of my english bridles.

What's the consensus on this? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
B1

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2007, 1:18 pm

CatB wrote:
I'll be trying it out at home a few times. I really don't think we'll have a problem, Josie is pretty sensible.

Now, on to my next question. Smile I'd like to use the full-cheek snaffle I've been using on her to show - it's got a copper mouth and I really like it. However, if no one uses full-cheeks, I can swap out an o-ring from one of my english bridles.

What's the consensus on this? Thanks.

A full cheek snaffle is an english bit and isn't legal in western classes.
Back to top Go down
CatB

CatB

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2007, 1:22 pm

LOL! An o-ring is also an english bit. scratch

In that case, does anything distinguishes a western o-ring from an english o-ring?
Back to top Go down
QHorse163

QHorse163

Number of posts : 311

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2007, 6:08 pm

I copy & pasted this from the AQHA handbook online:

Quote :
(b) References to snaffle bits in western performance classes
mean the conventional O-ring, egg-butt or D-ring with a ring no
larger than 4” (100 mm). The inside circumference of the ring must
be free of rein, curb or headstall attachments which would provide
leverage. The mouthpiece should be round, oval or egg-shaped,
smooth and unwrapped metal. It may be inlaid, but smooth or latexwrapped.
The bars must be a minimum of 5/16” (8 mm) in diameter,
measured one inch (25 mm) in from the cheek with a gradual
decrease to center of the snaffle. The mouthpiece may be two or
three pieces. A three-piece, connecting ring of 1 1/4” (32 mm) or less
in diameter, or a connecting flat bar of 3/8” to 3/4”(10 mm to 20
mm) measured top to bottom, with a maximum length of 2” (50
mm), which lies flat in the horse’s mouth, is acceptable. Optional
curb strap attached below the reins on a snaffle bit is acceptable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Headstall vs. Bit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headstall vs. Bit   Headstall vs. Bit Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Headstall vs. Bit
Page 1 of 1