Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Class Differences?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Class Differences? Empty
PostSubject: Class Differences?   Class Differences? Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2007, 12:12 am

Okay. Dumbo me here with the entry form for my 1st ever show (besides barrels & poles) Embarassed .

What's the difference between Western Riding, Western Pleasure and horsemanship (not showmanship)?? Question

Edited to add one more question. Can I use 2 hands in the walk trot
class. She is really green, like bright green! LOL I'm going to have to
use two hands. This is good schooling for her though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
QHorse163

QHorse163

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Class Differences? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Class Differences?   Class Differences? Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2007, 1:41 am

Western Riding is a pattern class. There are specific patterns that you ride and the point is to do flying lead changes. It is judged on quality of movement, smoothness of your changes, consistency, etc.

Western Pleasure is a rail class. You will ride the rail at a walk, jog, and lope each direction. Judged primarily on movement, but consistency, way of going, etc. also play a big part.

Horsemanship is a pattern class judged on the rider. You will ride a pattern that may include jog, lope, back, pivot, circles, counter canter, extended jog, etc. Then you ride on the rail at a walk/jog/lope (AQHA rules require only one direction). It is judged a lot on how you ride your pattern, but is also judged on your equitation. Sometimes depends on the judge if they place more weight on the pattern or railwork.

At any show I have been, 2 hands are allowed only on Junior horses with a snaffle bit or bosal. But rules might be different in a walk trot class. I would check the rules of the organization that are putting it on.

Hope this helps! Smile And good luck! I'm sure you will do fine. Just trust your horse and do the best you can. Be confident and don't be intimidated by the more experienced show people! You gotta start somewhere. Let us know how it goes!
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Class Differences? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Class Differences?   Class Differences? Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2007, 1:01 pm

Thanks. That clears it all up for me!

I'm kinda using this little open show as a schooling show for her and I.
Back to top Go down
LovingLoping

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Class Differences? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Class Differences?   Class Differences? Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2007, 10:13 pm

Oh, I definitely just saw this. Cool.
Honestly Cindy, if it's just an open show, go ahead and two-hand. When I first started showing, Rudy wasn't ready for a big-boy bit, so I rode in a snaffle and two-handed for multiple shows. Technically he was a "senior" horse, not a junior, but I was showing in "green horse" classes, and show management understood that he was green. Believe me, Rudy helped explain that one ALLLLLL by himself...

HAVE FUN THIS WEEKEND!
Wish I could go Sad
I'll be in AZ, but I have a show the next weekend. Have a super-de-duper time!
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Class Differences? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Class Differences?   Class Differences? Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2007, 8:41 am

Darn, I was hoping you were gonna be there! I have a clinic I'm taking
her to on the 14th with Steve King. He's a local trainer, but I think
it will do her good. Have fun at your show in Bryan!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Class Differences? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Class Differences?   Class Differences? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Class Differences?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: Show Talk-
Jump to: