Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!

Go down 
+3
Lynn M.
LovingLoping
All Hot Chocolate
7 posters
AuthorMessage
All Hot Chocolate

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2007-02-26

EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Empty
PostSubject: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 5:09 pm

Ok, this will be long so i appoligize aboout that.

Me and mom were talking today, and we were talking about the upcomming show season. I said i wanted to go the the bunny show, in the end of april. it is a some what large QH show, but not too big. mom said, "well, i know you would love to go, but unless we get some help ( meaning a trainer), there is no need to go." and i agree a hundred percent. But, we just dont' have the recources to do that. dad got a new job, and his pay is lower, plus he has to pay for stuff that he didnt' have to before (IE cell phone, fax line, his own gas, and no car allowence) so, needless to say money is tight. we will need hay in about a month, (that is about 500$), new shoes in a week, (thats 120$) new feed tomorrow, (65$). if you just add all that up, its enough to pay for a month of training!!!!

Parker is a very, very nice horse. i love him to death, and he loves me. i trust him the most i have ever trusted a horse. ( today i just rode him, nothing on him. and was loping, doing trail!!! BAREBACK, NO BRIDLE) But, he needs help. he came from a trainer, but wasn't ridden EVERYday, about 1 or 2 times weekly, if that much. so, he has had training, but not alot. that was one of the reasons we got him, because we knew his joints weren't worn out like Davie's. (my old horse.) so, as you would guess, he isn't dead broke. ( i mean WP/show wise...spook wise hes BOMB PROOF{ALMOST}) on his loping, he can hold it for about 10 strides on his good way, and the bad way maybe 5 strides AFTER i have rode for an hour. but, when i got him, he could hold it for a loooong time.....but i was used to a maintance free horse...i didn't know i had to keep him up. so he went 3 weeks w/o ridding, and when i got back....it was all gone. it has taken since august to get it this far.

now, alot of people have suggested to just work my training...you know, clean stalls..help and stuff. now, i would give my right leg to do that. but, the closest WP trainer is 45 minutes away!!!!! haha, so i can't do that...hehe.

Now, dont' take this as a "poor poor me" thing...i jsut needed to get it out of my system...thanks!!

Jordan flower flower flower
Back to top Go down
LovingLoping

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 5:19 pm

Completely understand.
I just have a couple suggestions, don't know if they're feasible for you. My trainer lives about an hour away, so it's really not logical for me to haul to her once a week, twice a week, etc. and since I've moved barns, she doesn't train at my new barn. Putting him in full time training isn't an option either.
What works for us is scheduling lessons twice a month. I pick a date, and I take a longer lesson than usual. We talk really specifically about what I've been doing, what to fix, the improvement she sees, etc. Our lessons are to sort of recharge our batteries-get new ideas, new training tips, and we're good for another two weeks/three weeks/etc. In between, I call her maybe 2x/week to discuss how he's doing, ask questions, etc.
Taking two lessons/month is much nicer financially, believe me!

End of story: If you can't afford a trainer right now, it's ok. Ride as much as you can yourself... chances are, you'll do more helping than hurting. And if you don't feel ready for QH shows minus trainer/training, haul to open shows. They can get pretty competitive, they're cheaper, and it's another show to learn at. Might as well be at the top of your game somewhere, even if it's not an AQHA sanctioned show!

Sheesh, I hope at least a tiny bit of that made sense! Shocked
And congrats on the bridleless/bareback deal...ya earned my respect Cool
Back to top Go down
All Hot Chocolate

PostSubject: Re: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 5:28 pm

Hey, thanks! But, the trainers in our area are JERKS!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad We talked to 2 of them ( the only ones we actually LIKE) but they were like, "NO NO NO! We dont' do that that! we only do full training, and if you can't do that, then i will not do lessons." we did find a girl that we went to about once a month, but she was over 1 1/2 hours away, and with gas and her fees it was over 100$. so, mom said that we would take a break from that. but, she did mention doing that some this spring.....which is good!

And, i do ride...i ride about 6X week. And i can see improvement....but it is just soooo slow!! Haha. but seriousley, if we continue at the rate we have since christmas, it will be 2009 before we can competively show...and mom said ( i agreee) that it is a waste of money to go show, if we dont' have a chance. we went to a QH show last june..and to show in JUST WP..JUST 13-U WP, no stall, for 2 days, was 150$..and all i came away with was dissapointment.

But thanks for your tips...you made alot of sense!!!!!

Jordan

P.S. hows Rudy??
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 6:15 pm

I know they are expensive but can you find a clinic to go to? I love them!!! I know if you were to take lessons once a week it would add up so if you went to a clinic say 1 x every 3 or 4 months at about 250.00-350.00 it wouldn't be that much more money and they are very helpful and very intense you and your horse learn alot in a very short period of time over a long weekend but if you aren't showing it can be very fun and very helpful I did them alot when I was riding 3day eventing and you really bond with the people there and maybe you can make friends that you can ride with later- you don't always need a trainer just someone else with a good eye who knows the event to help you and you can help them in return.
Back to top Go down
LovingLoping

PostSubject: Re: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 6:42 pm

Oooh, yeah. That's pretty dumb about the trainers, I'm lucky to have one who'll work with me like this. But Lynn brought up a good point...clinics are good, and you learn a ton in such a short amount of time.

Oh, and thanks for asking- Rudy's pretty good. His lope is alllllmost where I want it, but there's always issues. Rolling Eyes We're doing HUS at the next show, mostly as a blow-off class. My fat little western pony, doing hunters. Makes me laugh Cool

Hey, do you have AIM? Mine's teesrootoo.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 10:12 pm

Sounds like maybe you need to pitch in with the money part. Maybe get you a side job where you can still ride, take it slow, and use your money for horse stuff.

I totally understand where your mom and dad are coming from - been there/done that. Prime example: Trent's been talking about roping again, well, I sold his rope horse because he didn't ride him. So I told him if he wants to start roping again, he can go to Larry's or, as far as that goes, goes with the vet he works for and he can rope using one of their horses. If he starts getting serious about it, then we'd see.

Remember this... if there's a will, there's a way.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2007, 10:06 am

I agree, time for a job. Make some money to put him with a trainer. There goes the feed bill, hay bill, pulling back and forth to the trainers. Talk with your parents see how much they spend a month on him, and you make up the difference. I'd look for another farrier. Isn't 120.00 high? Suspect
Back to top Go down
All Hot Chocolate

PostSubject: Re: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2007, 11:08 am

7ceders; With me being 14, my job having would be a little hard. but, i do all i can to help. i sell stuff i dont' use, then use it to pay for as much stuff as i can. I dont' have alot of "other" stuff. I have never been to disney land, i don't have an ipod, i dont' have "designer" handbags.....my world is my horse. also, any penny i get from christmas, birthdays, goes to my parents, and they use it for feed/hay etc. trust me, if i could get a job i would!

Triple J; Oh i wish we could get a new farrior!!!!!! He is the only "performance" farrior in our area...unless we wanted to travel 2 hours...which mom thought about, but then decided that it would be more exspensive with the gas and all. even the farrior where he came from charged 100$, and if we drove up there, we would spend about 80$ in gas ( a whole tank, and we have to run hi-test...stupid navigator!) But all the other farriors in my area are for "pleasure" horses, they do not know how to really how to shoe a ''performance'' horse. we made the mistake of thinking one could, and my horse was lame for 2 weeks, and i missed a show.

also, i have thought about Babysitting, but our area being in the country, we have had a lot of break- ins lately, and mom doesn't think it is very safe. but, any chance i see to make money, i do!

Jordan
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2007, 2:50 pm

I tell you what you can do... babysitting for sure, but just lock everything, and let your parents know where you are...

But what I did when I was your age... mom had to haul me everywhere, is I cleaned houses, and we lived in a very rural area, and I made TONS OF MONEY! I gave Mom $5 for each trip she had to take me on. HA! Might cost a little more now, but you can rack up some big money cleaning houses... now a reminder here, get you a clothes pen and put it on your nose when you go to cleaning the bathrooms, and get some rubber gloves! GAWD, that almost made me wanna puke!

Mow, babysit, clean houses, weedeat, see if your school has jobs available, etc. Lots of options...
Back to top Go down
B3

PostSubject: Re: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2007, 10:56 am

Jordan, have you talked to Ricky Moore? I've had 2 horses with him and I really like his training program. He has customers who haul in for lessons on the weekend, and he's in Mebane, which should be about an hour for you I think. If you want his contact info or just need someone to talk to for suggestions, let me know. Amber knows how to get in touch with me. I'm also going to try and come to Raleigh for the Bunny Circuit - Amber and I have been talking about hauling together and splitting expenses. I've been able to ride a fair amount lately, and my gelding is doing pretty well. I'll have to see about childcare, but it's looking better for this show than it has for any other show in the recent past. I figure if nothing else, at least I can bring him and ride around, and maybe do SMS and Perf Halter. Also, I'm definitely planning on Colfax the first weekend of May.
Back to top Go down
All Hot Chocolate

PostSubject: Re: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2007, 12:29 pm

Baymare; thanks for the info about ricky moore. do you know what he charges?? I'm not going to be at the bunny,(with parker) but i am going to try to get up there one day to see adn watch.......AND SHOP haha. I'm pretty there is a all novice show in williamston in june, its a sat/sun show. amber said that she was going, so maybe ya'll could hook up or something. it is a really good show, always has good numbers. the amature classes are really good too! i know you and justin would do good. they even have PD!!!!! haha. remember last year, you tole me that if we were at a show, and u had justin and his driving stuff you would let me ride...well i havne't forgot! haha, i love to watch PD! so you really need to come....and i could help you with your daughter durring the english classes..(at the A/N show)..since i dont' do english....haha i could teach her to say "go mommey!" when you and justin go bye...hahaha your own PERSONAL cheerleader! lmbo! hehehehehe......

if you want to email me and talk, my emial is Ruin2horses@aol.com...i have yahoo and AIM instant messenger if you have either......

Jordan flower flower flower flower
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2007, 12:46 pm

LovingLoping wrote:
Oooh, yeah. That's pretty dumb about the
trainers, I'm lucky to have one who'll work with me like this. But Lynn
brought up a good point...clinics are good, and you learn a ton in such
a short amount of time.

Oh, and thanks for asking- Rudy's pretty good. His lope is alllllmost where I want it, but there's always issues. Rolling Eyes We're doing HUS at the next show, mostly as a blow-off class. My fat little western pony, doing hunters. Makes me laugh Cool

Hey, do you have AIM? Mine's teesrootoo.

Speaking of clinics. Next time you know where one is within a 2 or 3
hour haul let me know cause I wanna go! THANKS! Actually I need to go! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
B3

PostSubject: Re: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2007, 12:56 pm

Jordan...YGM!
Back to top Go down
LovingLoping

PostSubject: Re: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2007, 3:56 pm

Cindy-
Cool! Umm, none that I've heard of, but I'm sure there'll be some this summer. Yay, sweating through a clinic in the heat of a Texas summer Very Happy

Did I already ask you about the Brenham show that's April 14th? There's a whole group of us going, we'd love to share a tack stall with you Cool
Back to top Go down
Kim

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2007, 7:50 pm

some of you guys need to come up to ontario for Summerama ... its a huge show (20+ in a lot of classes) Very Happy Very Happy people from the US and Can come ...
Back to top Go down
All Hot Chocolate

PostSubject: Re: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2007, 8:03 pm

Kim; haha i think it would be cheaper to go to congress then come up there......thats a LONG way HAHA. it would prolly cost 1000$ in gas to go up there...lol. now, if you want to pay for all of it, then heck yes i will go! haha!

Jordan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!   EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EEEEESH Confronted with the Truth.......need to vent!
Page 1 of 1