Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ike...

Go down 
+5
Bluejay
SilverBuckleHorses
7cedars
emma&slim09
Kidd Kuhlmann
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2008, 10:29 pm

So - Ike was pretty easy to handle around here - we were really blessed that it turned North East!

We had some wind and a bunch of rain - lost power - but nothing terrible (all roofs stayed on, etc...)

One barn door blew off and some trees down but really nothing to write home about...Thank Goodness!

All of our horses made it through fine (wet but fine)...Go east of us about 20 miles though and its a DIFFERENT story - or heck, even south of us about 35 miles...
Houston is hurting!!!

We have power back (San Bernard Electric ROCKS!!!!)...so life is actually "normal"
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
emma&slim09

emma&slim09

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2008, 10:44 pm

Glad to hear everything is alright. Everything here is fine. We just got some wind and rain. Nothing too major. Horses are fine and having a blast getting to eat a bunch of hay.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2008, 9:17 am

Kidd, if you had any horses outside, did they do like mine... out in the middle of the pasture, just a munching on grass as usual. After the wind started dying down, the stupid geldings started romping around...

Funkiest thing I've ever seen. The eye hit us about 3:00 and criminey that wind was unreal...not much rain, but a ton of wind. Electricity went out, oh, about 5:30 or so, and then came on by 9:30... not bad, not bad at all.
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2008, 11:45 am

We were kinda in a bind as far as them being out or in...
My broodmare and baby were out - not a scrap of shelter in their paddock - this is the same paddock they have been in for a year (of the baby since she was born) so I figured familiarity was more important than anything...

Of the others, 2 are in race training so they couldn't be turned out regardless (even if we tranqued them) just because they are TOO busy...the new mare is a bit goofy still and I don't have a "GOOD" paddock for my gelding so they had to stay inside the barn... ... ...

The mare and baby didn't do anything out of the ordinary - their paddock mates stressed out but my two are troopers!

The barn fared well though (we had every scrap of everything picked up)...Horses were dry in their stalls even though 3 were standing in shallow water...

I tell you though - the new mare, "Birdie" was FLAUNTING the fact that her feet were dry - it was hilarious...kinda sad though cause we made her switch stalls w/ the 2yo so the 2yo could rest some last night! She was unhappy with me....but when we got there I SWEAR she was sayin "Na-na-na-boo-boo- My feet are dry suckers!!!!!" It was pretty funny!
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2008, 12:44 pm

I still haven't heard from my boyfriend who lives outside of Houston, in Crosby...

Glad y'alls ponies made it through the storm ok Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2008, 3:56 pm

If I had to bet - Crosby is w/o power right now...I hope he's safe!

I think most people made it ok - just no power/water...

Let me know if help is needed...we aren't TOO far way Smile
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2008, 4:00 pm

He managed to get a message to me right after I posted earlier. Said they have no power, haven't had it for awhile. He said there was a lot of damage from the wind, tore their house up pretty good. Atleast he's safe, I was worried all day yesterday at the show because I hadn't heard from him. Houses can be fixed, I'm just glad he's ok. Now Galveston, my goodness, those poor people...
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2008, 9:17 pm

scratch HUM, new boyfriend? I must have missed something.. bounce

I am glad it slowed down. And all are OK.. I hope Cindy made it through.. We haven't heard from her in awhile and of course anyone one else living in that area. pray Goodness. I am happy we do not have those around here. I just would not want to live with that. No OK, I'm a chicken.. Dancing
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2008, 10:14 pm

Yeh, I've been sending and rcving text messages all day - FINALLY got one from a friend who lives on Bolivar (completely GONE) - I was so thankful she was out and safe!

So glad the storm left!!!!!! At least it moved quickly!
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2008, 10:50 pm

Glad to hear your all safe. I'm with Bluejay on being a chicken. I'll stay right here. And for all those people that stayed behind they were crazy. I would of been long gone.
Back to top Go down
Kate and Paint

Number of posts : 197

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2008, 12:16 am

My uncle has a beach house and we spend like half of the summer with them down there. Its in Crystal Beach, Texas. They also have a camper and our travel trailer is at a bait camp/RV park in the same neighborhood.

Ive been looking at a lot of pics and a 30 min raw video and it zoomed in on the bait camp and WE SAW OUR CAMPER! I had to laugh for a second because it was STILL STANDING! It was about 20 feet off our pad but it was there. We were all gathered around the computer and I was like "OMG THERES THE CAMPER!". No sign of my uncles beach house or camper. It isnt on stilts so its most likely gone...

The bridge coming from Winnie through Gilchrist is wiped out though and of course no ferries, so Bolivar is inaccesible.

On a sadder note I feel horrible for the people who lived down there... Its just horrible and I was literally crying when I was looking at those pics. We were down there exactly a month ago and its very hard to look at some of those pics and recognize stuff and be like "OMG I just drove my truck down that street last month". I spent most of my happies times as a kid on those beaches. But, I didnt even live there, so I cant even begin to imagine how this is for someone who lived there or spent their whole life there... It makes me tear up...

Hard to imagine that just a month ago, I was kinda depressed and I went and drove my truck to a spot on Crystal Beach that was like totally deserted. And I just sat there. The beach was so beautiful. I cant even believe its gone...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/all_texas_cowgirl
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2008, 9:38 am

Well it was exciting for us.. The whole state of Kentucky is in a State of Emergancy.. Several schools are out. Our wind was anywhere from 55 to high of 73. We were blessed with a pocket of 73. Its a Mess. I hate seeing all the old trees torn up, you just cant fix that. We lost power for about 8 hours. Says 16000 in county are with out and 7000 in town. Exciting Stuff.. Anyone heard from Denibum. She would have been hit as well.. pale Barns are good, Horses, well it kept the flys off for a day. Lost some shingles. Kirt was thrilled about that, All and All we were blessed it was not worse. NOT ONE DROP OF RAIN! We sure could use it. Not a drop in site for the next week No
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2008, 1:05 pm

Just heard from Denibum, has no power at home yet, the kids have no school they couldnt get up their driveway coming home from church. No damage to their barns.

Last edited by Triple J Quarter Horses on September 15th 2008, 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2008, 1:18 pm

Just a blessing pray that your all safe.
Back to top Go down
denibun

Number of posts : 638

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: some pics of Ike's visit to Indiana   Ike... Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2008, 3:11 pm

I have to say it's the first time I've experienced a hurricane here in Indiana. We had no damage to our house or barns...just lots of limbs. A large part of our county is still without power and there was no school today. Here's some pics just from my front yard.

Ike... 102_2065

This is my driveway.
Ike... 102_2067
Ike... 102_2060
Ike... 102_2064
Ike... 102_2060
Ike... 102_2066
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2008, 9:08 pm

Denibun, looks like Oregon after a major ICE storm.. Have you ever had it rain ICE? Not fun I can tell ya.. Mad

I am happy you all made it through and no serious damage.. Thank God.. pray
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Kate and Paint

Number of posts : 197

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 2:44 pm

I went to Bolivar penninsula Sunday. It was horrible.

We got there around 6:30am. We had to get in there early because of the late traffic. We had to fill out a bunch of paperwork and proof of property papers. You cant get past the checkpoints unless you have them. Anyway I did think it would be as awful as I thought until we saw a house in High Island that was just a pile of boards. literally.

We saw the only 8 houses in Gilchrist that are left. 250 houses and businesses and only 8 houses are left. Plus, theres cars buried in sand everywhere and junk and everything all over the place. It literally looks like a huge junkyards. The think I remember most of were probably toilets. Everywhere you look, there was a toilet.

Theres cops and marines like everywhere. If they spotted ANYTHING suspicious, they stopped and you had to show proof that you could be there. If you didnt have it, you got arrested. They were that strict.

We got to my uncle's house and it was still standing. It sure is a tough little house. It isnt even on stilts. And my great aunt's house, which is about 30 yards away, gave proof that water was up past the roof. The whole neighborhood is covered in mud on the ouside. No yards, just 4 inches of mud. We couldnt even believe it. The inside is nasty, though. Theres 2-3 inches of mud on the floor. Mud everywhere. Mold is also growing on everything, especially up the walls. It looks like someone picked the house up and shook it. Everything is just piles of junk. Not to mention the fact that in the front yard, theres a full roof. And a pepsi machine. Question Yea

One thing we noticed was that every bussiness of place on the ground had no walls about 10ft high. The water would go through the front and rush out the back of the building. It left everything completely gutted.

We looked at my uncles friend Ben's house. Only the bottom where the dtorage and garage were really badly damaged. There was someones huge bumper pull travel trailer sitting in the canal. His boats were in covered slips and it looked as if the water had lifted them up against the roof and just smashed the tops of them, so only the shell was left with a bunch of rubble in them. Motors all smashed to bits. And I will mention that these were some high class fishing boats. One of which was just bought in the spring.

Our travel trailer was completely decimated. The walls and floor werent even conected, but it was kind of standing. The walls are bare. All the cabinets and tables and matresses are on the floor in a giant pile of rubble. nothing left. It looks like someone picked it up and dropped it. The floor was like pushed up and the walls were in the ground.

By 9am, everyone was just stunned and whitefaced and were ready to get out of there. None of us realized how horrible the damage was. Even my dad said If he had known, we wouldnt have come. He really didnt want to see it. And you come down here at your own risk. There isnt any medical personel down here. And you have to be extremely careful. Its easier to hurt yourself down here then anything. Plus, every board has nails or something in it, so tetanus shots are a MUST. I think thats the last time I go down there. It really hurt to see that place almost leveled.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/all_texas_cowgirl
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 3:34 pm

I'm so sorry! It was one heck of a storm to say the least - its hard to really grasp the magnitude of the damage!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ike... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ike...   Ike... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ike...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: General Off Topic Discussions-
Jump to: