Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hernia

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

Hernia Empty
PostSubject: Hernia   Hernia Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2008, 10:00 am

I have got such wonderful luck. Now my colt has a hernia. Can they appear just all of a sudden? I noticed it yesterday and the vets coming out this morning to preg check my mare, change the bandage on the filly and now to check the colt. Cant wait to get my bill as it is and now more will be added to it. I think its my unlucky year.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Hernia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hernia   Hernia Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2008, 3:39 pm

weclome to my world! Laughing If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have none at all!

As for hernia's... I think they can appear suddenly, depending on the cause, and location. Bluejay or 7cedars, or T-J will be the best to answer this...

My coming 2 yr old gelding has one, but our vet advised us to leave it as it was an umbilical hernia, and quite small.

On a lucky occaision with a umbilical hernia... if they know it is NOT intestine, they can put a sheep/cow docking ring on it to remove the fatty tissue. If its intestine... surgery is really your only way. I know our boys is fatty tissue, because the hole is so tiny you cannot push things back up through it. (tis what my vet told us anyways). I have limited experience with hernia's... and Im not complaining! Very Happy LOL
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Hernia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hernia   Hernia Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2008, 7:19 pm

Simple surgery that can be done at the same time as gelding with a purse string stitch to pull the hole closed.
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

Hernia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hernia   Hernia Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2008, 11:37 pm

I found out its not a hernia. cheers But he does have an infection so he's on antibiotics.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Hernia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hernia   Hernia Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 3:59 pm

Around the umbilical cord? Be very careful with that.. It can cause some serious problems. Keep a close eye on that. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Hernia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hernia   Hernia Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2008, 8:40 pm

I have seen them come and go.. What you are looking for is a hole in the abdomin that you can get your finger in. Some are so big you can put a few fingers in.. Take good care of that infection.. That can lead to big time trouble. affraid

I have one right now that looks like it's a hurnia and just skin flap. And, true, the best time to take care of them is when you geld them.. Been there twice.. ily doggie
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Sponsored content

Hernia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hernia   Hernia Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hernia
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: Veterinary Station-
Jump to: