Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WEANING TIME YUCK!

Go down 
+3
reiningfan
Bluejay
Triple J Quarter Horses
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

WEANING TIME YUCK! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WEANING TIME YUCK!   WEANING TIME YUCK! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 5th 2008, 9:00 pm

Those who pay attention to some of the world class horse may know of Nicool Kidman. She was a Sir Cool Skip mare that the
Chavaria's owned. They did well in the show ring with her.. When the owners weaned her they walked her and mom to the trailer. They trapped her in the tailer and kept walking with mom. Twisted Evil
(This was not done by the people who owned her. This happened when they bought her and this is how they got her...)

She did well in the show pen but she was one hell of a B!^#*.. She never got over that.. No

I prefer mine go out happy and trusting.. I also make sure they lead, load, trim and already have some good horse manners.. I am very picky about how this is done and it puts a stamp on the horse when it leaves.. Goodness, these are my babies.. I love you
ily pray queen king
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Ragdoll

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2007-04-02

PostSubject: Re: WEANING TIME YUCK!   WEANING TIME YUCK! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 5th 2008, 11:05 pm

When I weaned Tucker, his mom went out one gate...and a yearling pony filly went in the other. He never called for mom even once.... I doubt he ever noticed that she left. She may be coming to spend the summer here. (she lives with my daughter, 4 miles down the road) I can't wait to see his reaction when he sees her!!!
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: WEANING TIME YUCK!   WEANING TIME YUCK! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 5th 2008, 11:48 pm

I wean by taking one mare out of the field at a time. It'll usually be a mother of one of the older babies, or one who's bringing his dam down. Most of mine don't even notice that they don't have their mom there. We have been weaning at the end of July, but this year we are gonna wait til mid August.
Most guys around here just run all their mares in one day, put the babies in one pen and either the mares go back out to the field, or get put in separate pens. There are a lot of PMU farms around here. I joke about doing it like that, but I never will. By the time my babies are fully weaned, they are used to be away from mom for small periods of time. We ride most of our mares, so we'll go for an hour or so now and then as they get older. When mine go to new homes, they are weaned, halter broke and can generally be bathed and clipped. And I train them to load before they get picked up. I've bought several who had never been here a trailer before we picked them up. It so traumatic for them.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: WEANING TIME YUCK!   WEANING TIME YUCK! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 6th 2008, 8:44 pm

Really depends on the age of the foal. coffee
And, Ragdoll, I doupt your horse even remebers his mother.. Rolling Eyes lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WEANING TIME YUCK!   WEANING TIME YUCK! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WEANING TIME YUCK!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2