Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help!?!!?!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Help!?!!?!! Empty
PostSubject: Help!?!!?!!   Help!?!!?!! Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2008, 1:25 am

10 day old filly is sick...
She was fine today and got turned out with her momma - this filly has been beyond healthy her whole life (all 10 days of it) - IGG was GREAT and we went ahead and gave plasma at 3 days just because she will live at the farm and lots of horses bring lots of different bugs...
So - she thinks she is a big girl and wants to eat everything...and drink water, etc...

Tonight at 5:00 about 20-30 mins after coming in from outside she started biting her sides, rolling on the ground, stamping her feet and swishing her tail like a fiend...she was sweaty and temp was elevated to 102.3 (not bad but not "perfect")...
We gave her banimine and sedated her to help her out. She mellowed out and took a little nap - she quit rolling. At about 8:30 she got some more banimine.

10:00pm she is quiet but tired, tail swishing slowed down but still there, occasional foot stamp...temp completely normal - heart rate normal...

11:00pm we gave her a special ulcer medicine left over from a foal last year...we'll see...
Gums are pink and healthy, bowel movement sometime between 5 and 8...no problems urinating...

What do yall think?
Ulcer?
Colic?
Reaction to something she ate (little bugger will eat ANYTHING)?

Night watch is keeping an eye on her for me...phone is on LOUD and VIBRATE and trailer is hooked up just in case things turn worse again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Help!?!!?!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!?!!?!!   Help!?!!?!! Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2008, 9:07 am

Oh, Lord.....maybe a noxious weed? There was some kind of weed that Scamp got ahold of when he was a long weanling... dragon something or another....

Definitely sounds like colic, though. Better get you some ulcer guard or even Gaviscon to stick down her.

Let us know how she is...
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Help!?!!?!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!?!!?!!   Help!?!!?!! Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2008, 9:58 am

He may have eaten something not edible. When Angel was about 5 months old I saw a piece of baling rope hanging out of her mouth. I took hold of it...She ran backwards....She had the whole thing down her throat!!! To this day, she thinks baling rope is chewing gum!!!!

When Angel was 2yrs old she got a belly ache....She eventually passed what we think was kite string!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Help!?!!?!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!?!!?!!   Help!?!!?!! Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2008, 10:33 am

How is she this morning???? Stools Normal??? Ulcer guard or something equal is a must, when giving anything else in these babies. It doesnt take much for them to start up.
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Help!?!!?!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!?!!?!!   Help!?!!?!! Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2008, 10:53 am

I forgot to mention that we did give her Gastroguard at 5:30pm also...

This morning she is fine - everything normal - not swishing tail or anything like that...she is trying to push her momma away from the feed bucket...
Soooo - feed bucket is going higher and little bit will probably start getting Equine Jr and milk pellets...

We are going to treat her for ulcers - 21 days of Gastroguard, zantac and something else I can't remember the name of... She gets her two pills mixed into a paste 2x a day and then Gastroguard 1x per day.... Oh BOY!

Dang little munchkin - I still don't have a barn name for her - she is a toughy...nothing really fits...
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

Help!?!!?!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!?!!?!!   Help!?!!?!! Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2008, 3:39 pm

I'm glad to hear she's doing better.... Munchkin sounds like a perfect name... HA!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help!?!!?!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!?!!?!!   Help!?!!?!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help!?!!?!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: General Off Topic Discussions-
Jump to: