Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What do you look for in a brood mare?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

What do you look for in a brood mare? Empty
PostSubject: What do you look for in a brood mare?   What do you look for in a brood mare? Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2007, 1:10 pm

For myself, I look for conformation, disposition and then papers. Usually the ones I like have the bloodlines I want. Also, if given the choice between horses that are equal in everything but color, I'll take a palomino, buckskin or roan before a sorrel. But I won't discount a good one just because she's not my favorite color.
Because we have kids that help out and handle the horses, if we have one that is a real witch, she goes. No matter how well bred or good looking she is. I don't want to have a horse like that around and I certainly don't want to risk her raising babies with nasty dispositions.
What do you find most important in choosing a broodmare prospect?
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a brood mare?   What do you look for in a brood mare? Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2007, 9:44 pm

she must be a money/point earner anymore or I wont consider her I also want confiormation, papers and temperment dont care about color but do like them double registered that is a big plus anymore.
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a brood mare?   What do you look for in a brood mare? Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2007, 9:46 pm

I look at pedigree first: her performance + her mother's performance and what her dam has produced...

After that then I consider conformation and finally disposition...
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a brood mare?   What do you look for in a brood mare? Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2007, 10:42 pm

Pedigree for me first, size, temperment, confirmation and most of all they have to be pretty and built like a mac truck.. I do not care how they are bred or what they have done if they are not pretty. And, double registered AQHA/APHA is a huge plus for me as well. Paly and ABRA do not matter to me since a none colored foal would not qualify anyway.

There are many world quality winners and pedgrees that I would not have in my barn.. Looks do mean a lot to me.. queen OH, YEA, can they carry and take care of a foal.. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a brood mare?   What do you look for in a brood mare? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2007, 1:24 am

When you say size, how big are you talking? For my program, anything over 15hh is too big. I like them pretty, but performance means more to me. They can be drop dead gorgeous, but if they can't change leads or turnaround, they are no use to me.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a brood mare?   What do you look for in a brood mare? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2007, 4:14 am

AMEN anything over 15hands too far to fall lol!
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2007-02-10

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a brood mare?   What do you look for in a brood mare? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2007, 8:29 am

confromation,temperment,pedigree but then saying that all depends on the looks of the horse and just cause it may not have the pedigree it dosent mean it cant to pleasure/halter or something like that.All these great horses were made great by there riders or trainers..

Then i pick colour,not a sorrel fan anyway.like horses to be slightly different.Would love dual reg if not then AQHA papers scratch
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a brood mare?   What do you look for in a brood mare? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2007, 4:33 pm

This is true that a horse is only as good as the trainer. And, that can cost you a lot of money. Trainers are a dime a dozen.. And, the political aspect of it all does not mean if you have a great trainer you will get any where with the horse. No

As far as size for me they have to be at least 15.2 or taller for what I enjoy doing. I, persoanlly like a shorter horse for just riding around. But, in halter and pleasure they need some height on them to even get a look. riding Quarter Horses were not meant to be tall along with all the other stock horse breeds. scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2007-02-10

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a brood mare?   What do you look for in a brood mare? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2007, 7:12 pm

Thats so true.

I like my horses to be around 15hh to 15.2hh.But your so right in the fact they dont get a look in cyclops unless they a little taller in the Halter/pleasure classes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a brood mare?   What do you look for in a brood mare? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you look for in a brood mare?
Page 1 of 1