Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

2008 Breedings

Go down 
+3
Bluejay
Triple J Quarter Horses
SilverBuckleHorses
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2007-02-08

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 16th 2007, 10:39 pm

So who's breeding who to whom??? Any big plans yet? All of mine are going to be for 2009, when Scotchy comes of age Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2007, 1:20 am

Shocked I have no clue at this point! First time in Years! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2007, 8:08 pm

I am just going to breed the paint mares I got to Tommy. No outside stuff this year. I have one nice mare I need to sell who is 1/2 sister to him. Otherwise it will just be a few paints to my own. If those do not market for a reasonable price that is more then I have in them I will be getting out of it and enjoy what's left of the money.. I am talking more then a few thousand $$$ for them. I am not talking about huge bucks. It's not worth the time, work and money to me to get between one and two thousand bucks for them. Basketball
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2007, 9:46 pm

I agree Bluejay!

The guy who owns the place where we keep our horses right now is so ignorant about how much it costs - he figures in ONLY the stud fee!
I told him it costs me about $100/month per broodmare (to include alfalfa, coastal, good feed, supplements, etc.) - he said he didn't calculate that in because the mares would be around regardless - obviously we have different goals.

My babies, by the time they are sold as yearlings have:
Stud Fee
Mare Care
Plasma
MBNA nomination
State Bred Fees
Consignment Fee
Feet trimming
Coggins
it all adds up really fast! break even usually is around $5k...which means they had better have a momma good enough to market and a sire that is worth his salt!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Bluejay

Bluejay

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2007, 7:58 pm

So true Kidd, I have all the vet cost to get the mare in foal. I do not just go blindly in that area. I do ultra sound for the right time, ovulation, then preg check. I also add nutrients for a healthy mare and foal. My horses do not live outside all the time so there are stalls to clean every day. Then once the foal comes, there is the all the special feed, training, trimming and worming. Not to mention the stall cleaning every day. It cost me $125.00 for registration with the INF fund. A lot of extra time and work goes in to having the foal. Then there is the cost to get them in the futurities. Really not worth it for us to just get a few thousand back for them. Too much time and money to make a few bucks.. coffee

I know many just through them outside and let them go until time to do some thing with them. We let ours out during the good days. But, still have hands on them everyday. We do end up with very nice foals to sell. Just not enough to even call it even. riding
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 19th 2007, 1:55 am

Totally agree with you. My babies are handled, quiet, feet done, dewormed and have been loaded by the time I start to advertise them. And I have people with the nerve to offer me $300. for some of them. I'm selling them cheap enough as it is. But up here we still have guys holding onto some of their PMU mares and the market is flooded with horses.
My main peeve is trying to explain to people that just because they went to the local auction mart and weanlings were cheap, all weanlings aren'y that cheap.
You wouldn't go into a Tommy Hilfiger store and offer them $2 for a pair of jeans just cause the local thrift store has a pair for that much. Auctions are alot like thrift stores and garage sales. Stuff other people don't want.
I don't IF my horses, Wade won't allow the extra expense. Can't say as how I blame him, cause it really doesn't seem to make a difference here.
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 19th 2007, 11:16 am

As for what we are breeding to this year we have made the following decisions:

Itsy (my mare)x Zoomin For Bux

Chicks (my father-in-law's) x Tres Seis

Bunny (my father-in-law's) x Royal Shake Em OR Dashin Is Easy
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2007, 12:30 am

This year if I have the extra money, I would LOVE to breed my TB to a halter stud from the states... just can't seem to find one I like enough on paper and in conformation... I know her flaws, and need to fix them as best as possible.

Other than that, I plan to possibly breed my other TB to my stud, and whatever outside mares come our way.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2007, 2:34 pm

Merikle, where are you looking for a halter stud? There are thousands of them.. I am sure there is one out there.. lol! You might want to check out the local futurities as well. You can get them for half price and that gets you an entry to a futurity as well. Good way to go on them as far as price goes.. coffee

You may also want to keep her running lines going Arrow
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 22nd 2007, 5:41 pm

Bluejay wrote:
Merikle, where are you looking for a halter stud? There are thousands of them.. I am sure there is one out there.. lol! You might want to check out the local futurities as well. You can get them for half price and that gets you an entry to a futurity as well. Good way to go on them as far as price goes.. coffee

You may also want to keep her running lines going Arrow

I was looking on the stallion expo site. As for the futurities idea... where do I go for that? my studs foals are nominated for the Canadian Colors Futurity (I do believe the only real alberta APHA approved futurity... atleast I think its apha approved?) and I plan to take my TB's 08 foal to show there in fall of 08.... ??

I want a halter horse to cross with her, because I think it will create a foal that can halter and can do performance, which right now is my breeding goal with my small herd of 2 breeding mares. LOL

I will start a new thread and possibly you guys will know of some gooder's?
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2007, 10:42 pm

Check out the other studs where you have yours offered for futurities.
That is where I would start.. If nothing there go to the next closest and check them out.. riding
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2007, 12:53 am

Bluejay wrote:
Check out the other studs where you have yours offered for futurities.
That is where I would start.. If nothing there go to the next closest and check them out.. riding

oooh la la!

http://northernhorse.com/aphc/stallionalley.asp?offset=0

If you have a chance, check out some of these studs... I would love yours and any one else's opinion on which one may best fit with my TB (She's Aloof)
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2007, 1:19 am

here is a fab stallion double registered for a really nice price
http://francisquarterhorses.com/helloshiner.html
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2007, 1:34 am

I like him. I also like that his dam is a full sister to Pep's sire. Too bad I already have 2 studs of my own to breed to.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2007, 5:53 pm

I checked out the site for the futurity.. I liked Mr Fleet and Rebels Tuff One.. It looked like four or five of those horses had the same picture posted under different names? That is very odd..

They had some substance and nice heads on them. study
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2007, 7:18 pm

Lynn M. wrote:
here is a fab stallion double registered for a really nice price
http://francisquarterhorses.com/helloshiner.html

God he is gorgeous LOL, only issue I have is he isnt really colored.... does not look to be a high color producer, and since I would want to show the foal, and my mare is a solid TB... it makes me weary.

But thank you sooo much! If you find any others let me know!
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2007, 1:02 pm

Does the Supreme have a stallion auction?
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2007, 9:42 pm

that was just an example of what I am suggesting some are more colored than others and that is one that makes me drool

here are a couple more along the lines of what you are talking about and the roan is dr and owls neg...
http://www.theultimatefancy.com/Makin%20A%20Splash.htm
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2008, 11:03 am

As far a pleasure goes, not the best trotter make sure you mare is very strong in that area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2008 Breedings Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Breedings   2008 Breedings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2008 Breedings
Page 1 of 1