Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LOS ALAMITOS INVITATIONAL THIS SATURDAY

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
smokey

smokey

Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2007-04-26

LOS ALAMITOS INVITATIONAL THIS SATURDAY Empty
PostSubject: LOS ALAMITOS INVITATIONAL THIS SATURDAY   LOS ALAMITOS INVITATIONAL THIS SATURDAY Icon_minitimeOctober 11th 2007, 12:23 am

COURTESY OF STALLIONESEARCH.COM AND LOS ALAMITOS.COM

LOS ALAMITOS INVITATIONAL THIS SATURDAY KETELWON2007
Ketel Won will make his first start at Los Alamitos in Saturday's $200,000 Championship. Photo by Bill Pitt, Jr

Stars To Compete In $200,000 Los Alamitos Invitational Championship

.LOS ALAMITOS RACE COURSE, CYPRESS, CA—OCTOBER 11, 2007—Paul Jones will saddle four stars as the five-time champion trainer goes in search of his first win ever in the Grade 1 $200,000 Los Alamitos Invitational Championship on Saturday at Los Alamitos.

Jones quartet will feature champions Strawkins and Leading Spirit, plus invader Ketel Won, who will be making his first start at Los Alamitos since breaking his maiden here 10 races back, and the multiple stakes winner Strength In Numbers.

Jones' Fab Four will be facing an outstanding field headed by defending Los Alamitos Invitational Championship winner Apollitical Time, plus Vessels Maturity winner Five Bar Molly. The winner of this 440-yard race will earn a berth to the $1 million Champion of Champions to be contested on December 15.

Strawkins, named the champion 3-year-old gelding last year, looks to have the best chance to give Jones his first win in this race. The Hawkinson gelding won the Bank of America California Challenge at 440 yards on August 25 and Jones did not run him in the Go Man Go in order to point him to the this race.

Leading Spirit, the Special Leader champion 2-year-old gelding in 2005, ran second in the Go Man Go but was third to Strawkins in the Bank Of America. Cody Jensen, who has ridden both horses this year, will climb aboard Leading Spirit in the Los Alamitos Invitational Championship.

R.D. Hubbard's Ketel Won, a two-time Grade 3 winner at Ruidoso Downs this year, arrives following a sizzling :12 second drill at 220 yards on September 29. Seven of the Stoli colt's last nine starts have been at 440 yards. First place in this race is worth $100,000.

The field to the Los Alamitos Invitational Championship from the rail out is as follows: Ketel Won (S. Ramirez Jr); Strawkins (F. Martinez); Leading Spirit (C. Jensen); Startlet Hawk (R. Ramirez Jr.); Catchmeinyourdreams (S. Thompson); Soul Of Silence (J. Andrade); Five Bar Molly (R. Aceves); Apollitical Time (R. Sanchez); Go Love A Lark Go (J. Williams); and Strength In Numbers (C. De Alba).

Courtesy of www.losalamitos.com
Back to top Go down
Justin

Justin

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2007-04-25

PostSubject: Re: LOS ALAMITOS INVITATIONAL THIS SATURDAY   LOS ALAMITOS INVITATIONAL THIS SATURDAY Icon_minitimeOctober 12th 2007, 12:47 am

This is a good race.
I can't separate them but for fun I'll go with

Leading Spirit
Startlet Hawk
Ketel Won

Question Question Question
Back to top Go down
Mr Carrerista

Mr Carrerista

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2007-09-20

PostSubject: Re: LOS ALAMITOS INVITATIONAL THIS SATURDAY   LOS ALAMITOS INVITATIONAL THIS SATURDAY Icon_minitimeOctober 12th 2007, 1:58 pm

all jones!!
Leading Spirit
Strawkins
Ketel Won
Back to top Go down
smokey

smokey

PostSubject: LEADING SPIRIT   LOS ALAMITOS INVITATIONAL THIS SATURDAY Icon_minitimeOctober 12th 2007, 4:49 pm

I THINK HE'LL BE VERY HARD TO BEAT IN THIS RACE.............

LEADING SPIRIT
APOLLITICAL TIME
STRAWKINS

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
smokey

smokey

PostSubject: Strength At The End Decides Los Alamitos Championship   LOS ALAMITOS INVITATIONAL THIS SATURDAY Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2007, 3:09 pm

COURTESY OF STALLIONESEARCH.COM & LOS ALAMITOS.COM

LOS ALAMITOS INVITATIONAL THIS SATURDAY StrengthInNumberswinsLosAlInvitatio
Strength In Numbers defeats Go Love A Lark Go by a nose in Saturday's $200,000 Championship. Photo by Scott Martinez

Strength At The End Decides Los Alamitos Championship

LOS ALAMITOS RACE COURSE, CYPRESS, CA—OCTOBER 13, 2007—Benny Rosset will have an excellent chance to win the richest running ever of the Champion of Champions after his prized mare Strength In Numbers defeated Go Love A Lark Go by a nose in Saturday's $200,000 Los Alamitos Invitational Championship at 440 yards.

With the victory, Strength In Numbers earned a starting berth to Grade 1 Champion of Champions on December 15, which this year features a $1 million purse for the first time in its 36-year history.

It could be a déjà vu of sorts for Rosset, who won last year's All American Futurity on his first trip to Ruidoso Downs with No Secrets Here, a colt that he co-owns with Vessels Stallion Farm. Rosset, a noted Brazilian businessman, has never before been involved in the prestigious 440-yard Champion of Champions, but the late running style of Strength In Numbers could earn her Quarter Horse racing's biggest prize for older horses.

"We knew that Strength In Numbers could run at the end," said trainer Paul Jones, who saddled the 4-year-old mare by Strawfly Special. "We knew coming into this race that this distance would benefit her a lot. She was coming off a race (the 400-yard Mildred Vessels Memorial Handicap) in which she finished a half-length behind Apollitical Time for second place. A few more jumps and she would have passed Apollitical Time. I knew she would love the distance but what I didn't know was whether she would be good enough to beat this group."

Against a cast that included champion Apollitical Time, the winner of last year's Los Alamitos Invitational Championship, plus champions Strawkins, Catchmeinyourdreams, and Leading Spirit, Strength In Numbers showed her goods at the end.

Bred by Double Bar S Ranch LLC, Strength In Numbers left the outside post 10 in fifth place and right away she began to battle her rivals in what was a very contentious race. Go Love A Lark Go, Five Bar Molly, and Apollitical Time were all in the mix with Strength In Numbers and last year's runner-up Strawkins not too far behind. Strength's strengths began to show with about 100 yards to go, as jockey Cesar De Alba piloted her to perfection as she rallied to defeat Go Love A Lark Go by a nose. Her winning time of :21.23 was the second fastest ever in this race, only behind Heza Ramblin Man's 1997 stakes record of :21.18.

"I was happy that she had post number 10," Jones explained. "It's my opinion that the outside draw is a good spot for closers. Strength In Numbers does not have early speed, so if she's between horses on the inside part, she could have been shut off her running lane. With the outside post, there was little chance that she would run into that type of a problem. It seemed to me like the outside horses were getting a good hold of the track."

Runner-up Go Love A Lark Go broke from post nine, while Apollitical Time finished fourth after leaving the gate from post eight. R.D. Hubbard's Ketel Won ran an impressive race, overcoming last place after bobbling at the start to finish in third place from along the rail.

Strength In Numbers and Ketel Won were two of the four horses that Jones, a five-time AQHA champion trainer, saddled in this race. He also saddled Bank of America California Championship winner Strawkins, who settled for fifth place as the 3-1 favorite, and Leading Spirit, who never got going on the way to an eighth place finish. With numbers on his side, more specifically Strength In Numbers, Jones picked up his first ever win in the Los Alamitos Invitational Championship.

"I've finished second several times in this race, so it's nice to finally get a win," he said. "The only three major races that I've not won at Los Alamitos are now the Golden State Million Futurity, PCQHRA Breeders Futurity and the Ed Burke Million Futurity."

Jones saddled No Secrets Here to All American glory for Rosset and Vessels Stallion Farm. He would like nothing more than help Rosset achieve another tremendous victory in the Champion of Champions.

"Benny is one of the nicest guys in the business," Jones said.

He's also one the busiest. Rosset could not attend the running of the Los Alamitos Invitational Championship, as he was in Portugal at the time. In Brazil, Rosset runs a company that manufactures lingerie and swimsuits for retailers such as Victoria's Secret and The Gap. He owns the 1,500-acre Haras Flor do Campo near Sorocaba, Brazil, a farm that in past has been home to stallions Splash Bac and Dash To Chivato. A father of three children ages 11 to 7, Rosset is the president of the Jockey Club de Sorocaba. His company's Cia Maritama beachwear has been featured at New York's Fashion Week.

"Benny is one of the most unassuming guys that you'll ever meet," said Vince Genco, who manages Rosset's horse business in the United States. "When he won the All American I thought he was going to have a heart attack because he was so excited. For a moment, I thought everyone was going to be in the winner's circle celebrating while I was going to be stuck giving him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

"I just left him a message on the phone telling him that it had rained last night and that his mare had the outside post, but that none of that mattered because she won anyways," Genco added. "He'll be excited about the Champion of Champions. He calls it 'the thunder in his belly.' He'll get excited and nervous - I will too - but you know, he deserves it because he loves the sport and he's made a big investment in Quarter Horse racing. Plus, he's one of the nicest guys that you'll ever meet."

Meanwhile, jockey Cesar De Alba continues to be one of the big stories of the 2007 meet at Los Alamitos. An unknown to Quarter Horse racing fans less than 18 months ago, De Alba is now the track's third leading jockey and in the last six racing nights, he's piloted the winners of the $484,000 PCQHRA Breeders Futurity, the $50,000 Blane Schvaneveldt Handicap and now the Los Alamitos Invitational Championship. Prior to this year, De Alba had only 15 Quarters Horse wins to his name.

"A year or two ago, if you would have asked me who Cesar De Alba was, I wouldn't have known a thing about him," Jones said. "I told him before this race, 'you're the upset king,' and he said, 'that's me.' He's a nice kid, smart, great personality, sharp, aggressive, and a good rider. He's doing everything right and it's not just me saying that, everyone is saying that about him."

A winner of two of nine starts this year; Strength In Numbers earned $100,000 for this effort to take her career earnings to $210,708. This was her fourth stakes win at Los Alamitos. Her previous wins were all non-graded races: the Cash For Kas Overnight Handicap on January 21; the Newport Beach Overnight Handicap on July 29, 2006; and the Cypress Overnight Handicap on April 21, 2006. Perhaps her most impressive stat is her competitiveness in stakes races, as she's now hit the board in 10 of her 12 stakes appearances at this level. She ran fourth in her two other starts.

"We knew she had a chance to become a really good mare after the Newport Beach," Genco recalled. "She had a lot of trouble in that race and she still found a way to win."

She found a way to win. Just like she did in the Los Alamitos Invitational Championship.

Erasmo Hernandez's Go Love A Lark Go, who ran second in the Grade 1 Vessels Maturity and third in the Grade 1 Go Man Go Handicap, earned $34,000 for his second place finish in this race. A two-time overnight handicap winner this season, Go Love A Lark Go was ridden by Jeff Williams for trainer Hector Jaime Hernandez.

Ketel Won earned $20,000 for his third place finish. This was his eighth race at 440 yards in 12 career starts. Saul Ramirez Jr. piloted the Stoli winner of this year's All American Gold Cup and Higheasterjet Handicap.

Apollitical Time earned $14,000 to take her career earnings over the $900,000 mark. She's now made $902,422 in her career. Her paycheck in this race helped her move past Sgt Pepper Feature, PYC Paint Your Wagon and Separatist in the all-time list of horses by money earned.

Strawkins, who will make his next appearance in the $300,000 Bank of America Challenge Championship, earned $10,000. "He stumbled at the start and that was the difference," said owner Don Boyle. The Hawkinson gelding finished about a length behind Strength In Numbers.

Catchmeinyourdreams, a three-time winner in this race, finished sixth and followed by Five Bar Molly, Leading Spirit, Soul Of Silence and Startlet Hawk.

Los Alamitos Invitational Championship(G1)

$200,000, Los Alamitos, Oct 13, 3 year-olds & up, 440 yards

1. Strength in Numbers, sor. f. 4, by Strawfly Special--Strength of Heart, by Heza Fast Man, Bred by Double Bar S Ranch LLC (CA). Owner-Benny Rossett. Trainer-Paul C. Jones. Jockey-Cesar DeAlba.

2. Go Love a Lark Go, b. g. 5, by Love a Lark--#Picture Me Gone, by Deregulate, Bred by Gale E Searle (UT). Owner-Erasmo Hernandez. Trainer-Hector Jaime Hernandez. Jockey-Jeff Williams.

3. Ketel Won, sor. c. 4, by Stoli--Sixy Lady, by Streakin Six, Bred by R D Hubbard (TX). Owner-R. D. Hubbard. Trainer-Paul C. Jones. Jockey-Saul Ramirez, Jr.

Margins: no, ½, no
Value to winner: $100,000 2nd $34,000 3rd $20,000
Time: 21.234
Track: Fast
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LOS ALAMITOS INVITATIONAL THIS SATURDAY   LOS ALAMITOS INVITATIONAL THIS SATURDAY Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LOS ALAMITOS INVITATIONAL THIS SATURDAY
Page 1 of 1